• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,474 posts in this topic

They are unfortunately not in English. It's a shame since the books are absolutely beautiful and far superior to any previous US reprints. Barks is a cultural icon across most of Europe and this set was planned for years as the ultimate release of his complete works. It's gorgeous but a bit pricey at $3,000.

I keep hoping someone will come out with English color reprint volumes.

Last week, I got to visit my adorable 7 year-old niece, Mille, in Denmark. She has just learned to read and pulled out a local version of "Donald Duck" and started reading it for me. It took about half an hour to get through 3 pages but the experience was well worth every second. When I told her that I liked Donald Duck stories too, she announced that she collected Disney comics and took me to her room, where she proudly showed me the well-read stack on the picture (I asked her for permission to photograph it, of course), neatly placed next to her doll house. I am to blame for the misaligned comic on the top, which is the one she read for me.Then my 6 year-old nephew chimed in and brought a heavy stack of high quality books with Carl Barks reprints, pointing out the ones he liked the best.

It was one of those priceless moments, not least since neither of them know about my own little collection yet.

Awesome. I love your March of Comics set.

Mr. Radd, I am curious about which story your avatar is from. Without looking, I'd guess "Luck of the North" or "Race to the South Seas"?

Unrelated, did anyone notice the Don Rosa manuscript that Dr. Redmelvin sold for $14,100 on eBay today?

Mr. Radd, I am curious about which story your avatar is from. Without looking, I'd guess "Luck of the North" or "Race to the South Seas"?

Unrelated, did anyone notice the Don Rosa manuscript that Dr. Redmelvin sold for $14,100 on eBay today?

Absolutely amazing - wish I had the money to buy it!

Here's the link to the auction:

Complete Don Rosa story & art

Absolutely amazing - wish I had the money to buy it!

Here's the link to the auction:

Complete Don Rosa story & art

That is a particularly impressive story by Don!

Is it really? I am not Rosa's biggest fan but this story looks pretty weak to me compared to most of his work. I counted around 1,000 pages on the list of his production that someone posted a couple of pages ago. Almost 100% of these probably still exist, which seems like a huge supply compared to GA and SA artists. I looked through the art on eBay and quite a few pages have more unappetizing monsters than they have Ducks. I would think that pages from "Life of Scrooge McDuck" (most of which I've yet to read) would be much more in demand. Based on all this, I found the price to be unusually high - not least given the financial crisis.

:blush: I like science fiction.

I should say that I was commenting on liking the art more than I was commenting on the story. I was giving an impression (without reading the story) and I especially liked the much greater use of blacks which I think Rosa handled particularly well. I'm sure the Life of Scrooge stories would overall probably be more desirable due to their ties to the Barks' canon but I'm not surprised at the price given the number of pages and how much Rosa's art sells for.

not least given the financial crisis
I'm very disappointed in quite a few people who seem to be buying comics and art as if there is no crisis! I demand a congressional investigation! rantrant

:blush: I like science fiction.

I should say that I was commenting on liking the art more than I was commenting on the story. I was giving an impression (without reading the story) and I especially liked the much greater use of blacks which I think Rosa handled particularly well. I'm sure the Life of Scrooge stories would overall probably be more desirable due to their ties to the Barks' canon but I'm not surprised at the price given the number of pages and how much Rosa's art sells for.

I'm very disappointed in quite a few people who seem to be buying comics and art as if there is no crisis! I demand a congressional investigation! rantrant
lol

Is it really? I am not Rosa's biggest fan but this story looks pretty weak to me compared to most of his work. I counted around 1,000 pages on the list of his production that someone posted a couple of pages ago. Almost 100% of these probably still exist, which seems like a huge supply compared to GA and SA artists. I looked through the art on eBay and quite a few pages have more unappetizing monsters than they have Ducks. I would think that pages from "Life of Scrooge McDuck" (most of which I've yet to read) would be much more in demand. Based on all this, I found the price to be unusually high - not least given the financial crisis.

I agree, its a very average, at best, Rosa story. Not a memorable one at all... fun for a few minutes until the one repeated joke wears thin. And as you say those monsters are pug ugly. That being said I wasn't surpised at the $600/page. Its still a full 24 page rosa story and with the (practical) non-existence of barks art on the market, 1000 "good duck" pages is not that many. And $600/page is no different than what you would pay for a good modern like preacher or something.

Just point them toward delekkerste's posts, and soon they'll be ready to slit their wrists. :P

Edited by tth2

I so want to sit down and read these! :cry:

I so want to transfer the ones in polyurethane bags into mylar! :P

They are in mylar. Those are MyLite 2's.

Really? Wow, I've never seen that kind of "poly rippling" in my Mylites. :eek:

Okay, I was going to hold off revealing this until Christmas day, but what the hell... This is what Santa brought me this year:

Just think what you have received if you'd been good! :kidaround:

Just kidding :foryou:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! (worship)