• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

5 panels, 4 word balloons, and he gets named and spoken to by another character.

Seems like more than just a cameo to me.

Yes, and identified as an inventor. In my opinion, this is definitely a real first appearance.

And what a great set of panels! Truly Barks is the master! hail.gif

I'm not trying to say that it's a proper cameo. I shouldn't have used that term... but it's a minor first app. nontheless. He's on one friggin page people. news.gif

True, and a minor character at that, though he did get his own book. The value of the book comes from the early Barks Scrooge cover IMO. The classic Gladstone 1st app is icing.

The trademark of a good comic history are the quality supporting characters. Thats another part of Barks genius is his creation of Scrooge, Gyro, Gladstone, Beagle Boys, Cruella, and few other minors. In addition to his great stories he made great characters.

I think thats the way with good movies too.

I'm not trying to say that it's a proper cameo. I shouldn't have used that term... but it's a minor first app. nontheless. He's on one friggin page people. news.gif
Yeah but one page out ten is not too shabby.

This is more than Hulk 180's claim to fame. insane.gif

> Did you see all the Mickey Mouses in the previews for Heritage's next Signature Auction?

Yes, some are very nice. Unfortunately, I already have better copies of all of them.

> Andrea's book.

Ed didn't have any info but would ask around.

> 1st Gyro

The character seems to have been invented as a fun punchline to emphasize Gladstone's luck in this story. Sadly, to my knowledge not a single panel of original art featuring either Gyro or Gladstone has survived. I think there may be a surviving (rejected) cover from the early 60s with Gyro standing behind a fireplace but I can't find any references to it. Could be wrong?

Even though it was already shown, I wanted an excuse to break out my WDCS 140 and scan the key page. Plus I want to see if the coloring or inks are any different with the original compared to the reprint.

One of my favorite comics of all time and easy on the wallet for us Barks/Ducks fans.

wdcs140.jpg

wdcs140pap.jpg

Definitely a greater emphasis on more natural colors on the reprint -- which I think I prefer. One big reason that I like about the Gladstone albums was that so many were colored by Susan Daigle-Leach, who's work is interesting and complementary to Barks' artwork.

And playing the newspaper game of comparing pictures - there are plenty of differences. One of the biggest reasons I can't stand reprints and love originals.

1. Brown pants are red and red package is brown.

2. Sidewalk squares in original have blue edging giving them depth.

3. Background Gyro and bicyclist are brown and not colored.

4. Pie smear on Donalds face is purple in original - as it sould be.

5. Yellow hat on Gladstone and darker yellow shirt on Gyro, yellow Duey hat in panel 4, fence is yellow not brown in panel 1.

6. I just like that the original pages are not Elmers glue white and have some wood grain to them. Its a comic - not a business memo.

Ed

I hope this great thread doesn't fall into a debate over oringal vs new colorists. I do want to say that a fence should be brown and not yellow. And most "Ducks" don't wear red pants. I still can't help being a crumudgeony old man and think that the originals are better even if they really aren't. (check out the fading blue background in the reprints)

Sooooo... where can I find the Barks originals for this book?

This just in and I had to share.

I believe it may be the first color comic strip of Donald Duck. Its dated 2 17 from 1935 and as the start of a months long story I think it is his first appearance. I'm reading that Donald first appeared on Feb 10th in the dailies but I don't know if that was a black and white or a color.

Obviously I'm hoping its the first color but since the 10th of Feb 1935 is a Sunday I don't know what they (Wikpedia) mean when they say "daily". There is a definite difference between daily and Sunday strips. Anyway its a nice item, I've got a few others from this era as well. If anyone has any info or input I'd appreciate it.

feb217.jpg

More Scrooge - and raw too 29 34 38

Wow, those look fantastic! You could poke an eye out with those corners!

Classic books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Although I completed my Mickey Mouse Magazine run recently, I'll continue to upgrade. Won the copy below on eBay last week and am waiting for it to arrive. Trying to upgrade a raw high grade copy is always hit and miss. I've bought quite a few books that turned out to be lower grade than the copy I already had.

New copy 893crossfingers-thumb.gif:

newCE_M2-1.jpg

My current top copy:

CE_M2-1.jpg