• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

I just got another Bugs comic for cheap. Reliven the Duck thread too. I can't say that I'm a fan of the non-gloss comics which is one of the biggest problems with "Christmas on Bear Mountain" among others. The flimsy March of Comics with the dull paper covers keep them from being highly collectible. Plus the promotional status as not being "real" comics. Anyway I couldn't pass this up and bid about twice the $30 it cost me. Its the second Bugs MOC so not a bad one to buy. I've noticed the non-disney cartoons are picking up a bit from the last Heritage auction.

moc59.jpg

I can't say that I'm a fan of the non-gloss comics which is one of the biggest problems with "Christmas on Bear Mountain" among others. The flimsy March of Comics with the dull paper covers keep them from being highly collectible. Plus the promotional status as not being "real" comics.

I've always felt the same about giveaways. The difference in visual appeal between an FN and a NM MOC is not even comparable to that of glossy Four Colors or WDCS. By far the main attraction of the Barks MOCs is the interior. I used to have a VF+ish MOC 41 that I enjoyed reading and browsing through many times. Have to admit that I don't have the guts to do that with my CGC 9.2 copy, but it really is a crime to keep midgrade, readable giveaways in sealed holders.

Very nice book btw! 6-7 years ago, someone listed a bundle of 100 perfect copies of MOC 70 or 71 (Tom & Jerry) on eBay, still wrapped in brown paper. I believe it sold for $1,500. Made me wonder what would have happened to the market if this had been MOC 4s instead.

I remember that auction too and wondered what the appeal was. An interesting find but with almost no collectible appeal even without the bundled find. As I remember they weren't perfect copies either as the binding was incredibly tight and the corners didn't look untouched either. Not to say there weren't 50 or so VF to VF+ but even still. At least Thing 16 has a sweet cover and FF 48 is a key book for there being tons out there.

Got the complete Cheerios Y set in original envelope at the Lincoln, NE auction last Sunday (nice price). Here's Y-1 DD A-Bomb:

atombomb.jpg

It has a 7/8" edge tear back cover & OW/W pages. F- maybe better? confused-smiley-013.gif

I also unknowingly picked up WDC&S # 98 1st Scrooge in a nice looking VG/F, white pages (1st Uncle Scrooge in title) in a box lot. takeit.gif

Edited by iggy

Although this thread is in the GA forum, please feel free to post your duck books from all eras.
The year was 1980. I asked my parents to get this for me. Four dollars was a big price back then. Especially for a ten year old.

abbeyvillepress1980.jpg

Abbeyville press. 1980. Hardback. Carl Barks. If any one can tell me where this is listed in Overstreet, I'm all ears.

Colors inside are still vibrant.

I've had this book and one similar (Goofy) on my regular bookshelf with regular books. They bought me both of them ($8.00)

I'm wishing I'd have gotten the Mickey Mouse in the Foreign Legion book back then.

I can still remember seeing about 6 of them in a display case at the Mall bookstore all those years ago.

Only damage is back bottom corner has been slightly scuffed, the size of a needle tip.

Ye cats!!! Almost 11X guide! The appetite for high grade Ducks right now seems insatiable.

I know, I was watching this one for kicks. End Price: $524 for WDCS 138 in 9.2. Don't have a Guide here but that looks like a healthy price.

The Guide price is mentioned in the auction description: $180. gossip.gif So almost 3X for a 9.2 copy. Of course, it does feature the Cornelius Coot statue story that was featured in this thread only recently. thumbsup2.gif

Although this thread is in the GA forum, please feel free to post your duck books from all eras.
The year was 1980. I asked my parents to get this for me. Four dollars was a big price back then. Especially for a ten year old.

abbeyvillepress1980.jpg

Abbeyville press. 1980. Hardback. Carl Barks. If any one can tell me where this is listed in Overstreet, I'm all ears.

Colors inside are still vibrant.

I've had this book and one similar (Goofy) on my regular bookshelf with regular books. They bought me both of them ($8.00)

I'm wishing I'd have gotten the Mickey Mouse in the Foreign Legion book back then.

I can still remember seeing about 6 of them in a display case at the Mall bookstore all those years ago.

Only damage is back bottom corner has been slightly scuffed, the size of a needle tip.

I didn't know about that set, but I did get overize books (3 volumes) of classic Mickey, Donald, and Uncle Scrooge stories around that same time. They did a bit of condensing of the stories (cutting out many of the splash panels) but it was still a great way to get a lot of stories cheap. I ended up giving them to my sister and her kids, though I started last year to give them Gladstone albums so that they can read the real thing. I've given them a number of different comics (Tintin, Asterix, Herobear, etc) but all of them tell me and their mom that the "duck stories are the best." I think they may turn out okay.

I didn't know about that set, but I did get overize books (3 volumes) of classic Mickey, Donald, and Uncle Scrooge stories around that same time.

I picked up the Donald and Mickey volumes a year or so ago at a used book store but, of course, no Scrooge volume in sight sorry.gif

I'll link to this Preview for the upcoming Carl Barks and the Disney Comic Book: Unmasking the Myth of Modernity by Thomas Andrae as I don't know how widely known the book is. Harked as "The first full-length critical study of the genius who created Duckburg and Uncle Scrooge."

"From a cultural studies perspective, the author analyzes all phases of Barks's career from his work in animation to his postretirement years writing the Junior Woodchucks stories.

Andrae argues that Barks's oeuvre presents a vision strikingly different from the Disney ethos. Barks's central theme is a critique of modernity. His tales offer a mordant satire of Western imperialism and America's obsession with wealth, success, consumerism, and technological mastery, offering one of the few communal, ecological visions in popular culture. Although a talented visual artist, Barks was also one of America's greatest storytellers and, Andrae contends, lifted the comic book form to the level of great literature.

Thomas Andrae, an instructor in the cinema department of San Francisco State University, is the senior editor and cofounder of Discourse: Journal for Theoretical Studies in Media and Culture. He produced The Duck Man, a feature-length documentary on Carl Barks, and was an editor of the Carl Barks Library."

Anyone knows more about the book. What should we expect to see / gain from it?

Almost 11X guide! The appetite for high grade Ducks right now seems insatiable.

Another post-war Barks Duck is currently being offered privately. Last I heard, the bids were approaching $20,000.

Don't know Andrea personally but he was the previous owner of the "Silent Night" page that I posted last fall. He sold his collection of Barks originals in the late 90s. To my knowledge the nicest to come up for sale since Barks "sold" his artwork in the 60s and early 70s.

The president of the Carl Barks Fan Club, Ed Bergen, will be visiting me next week. I'll ask him about the book.

Another post-war Barks Duck is currently being offered privately. Last I heard, the bids were approaching $20,000.

893whatthe.gif What post-1945 Duck book could possibly command $20K?

Did you see all the Mickey Mouses in the previews for Heritage's next Signature Auction?

893whatthe.gif What post-1945 Duck book could possibly command $20K?

Probably a 9.8 Sherriff of Bullet Valley devil.gif

Don't know Andrea personally but he was the previous owner of the "Silent Night" page that I posted last fall. He sold his collection of Barks originals in the late 90s. To my knowledge the nicest to come up for sale since Barks "sold" his artwork in the 60s and early 70s.

The president of the Carl Barks Fan Club, Ed Bergen, will be visiting me next week. I'll ask him about the book.

Thanks. I'll be curious to hear about it.

Just snagged this off ebay... $13 after shipping..

1st Gyro Gearloose.

7007553_o.jpg

In the past month, I've bought nice copies of WDC&S #88 (1st Gladstone Gander) and #125 (1st Junior Woodchucks)... so now I'm on the look out for issue #134 (1st Beagle Boys)

I'll try to put up scans of the other later....

Edited by Gotham Knight

140 is definitely a first appearance. He has an invention (pogo stick?) as well. He may not be the center of the story but everything about his character is there. I have a loose copy as well and will try and post the pages. Next to FC 386, this is a great great cover of Uncle Scrooge and the boys, probably my favorite of the 1950's.

I disagree... I don't have the story in front of me, but he's in what, like three panels or something? It's a pretty minor first app confused-smiley-013.gif