• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

I'd love to own this book.  I was expecting it to sell for more:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-series-1-4-donald-duck-dell-1940-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7340-91045.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Is this the first appearance of Donald in an American Standard Comic Book?  I know he appeared in another comic (Donald Duck #nn) before this but I think that one was more of an oversized book.

Donald Grail.jpg

Edited by Bigphatpaulie

On 6/22/2023 at 7:20 PM, Bigphatpaulie said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cartoon-character/four-color-series-1-4-donald-duck-dell-1940-cgc-vf-80-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7340-91045.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Is this the first appearance of Donald in an American Standard Comic Book?  I know he appeared in another comic (Donald Duck #nn) before this but I think that one was more of an oversized book.

Donald Grail.jpg

I assume you mean the bubble pipe cover? It’s magazine sized like the Large Feature ones. Pain in the butt to store but still love them! :x

IMG_0983.jpeg

On 6/23/2023 at 8:20 AM, Bigphatpaulie said:

Donald Grail.jpg

That's a pretty book and a high price for a book that I think is all strip reprints. For my duck money I'm going to be picking up Barks books; that may hold back the value of Four Color 4 a bit. But it is a great duck cover and for CGC cover collectors I can see the appeal. In fact some of Barks' covers really don't grab you like some of the cleaner work of Kelly and Von Buettner; think of Frozen Gold vs. Old Castle's Secret. The magic is inside on the Barks' books.

On 6/25/2023 at 8:59 AM, dikran said:

I assume you mean the bubble pipe cover? It’s magazine sized like the Large Feature ones. Pain in the butt to store but still love them! :x

IMG_0983.jpeg

Yep!  That's the one.  Gorgeous Copy.  Definitely worth the storage sacrifice.  Love to own that one but its a rare find. 

On 6/25/2023 at 7:48 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

That's a pretty book and a high price for a book that I think is all strip reprints. For my duck money I'm going to be picking up Barks books; that may hold back the value of Four Color 4 a bit. But it is a great duck cover and for CGC cover collectors I can see the appeal. In fact some of Barks' covers really don't grab you like some of the cleaner work of Kelly and Von Buettner; think of Frozen Gold vs. Old Castle's Secret. The magic is inside on the Barks' books.

If we're talking an Eye Catching Covers for Carl Barks, Four Color 199 gets my vote  If we're talking covers Kelly and Von Buettner's Work definitely have more of my favorites.  Kelly's Art always catches my attention first for his brighter colors and Buettner's Covers have more going on which tell a story.

On 6/23/2023 at 1:20 AM, Bigphatpaulie said:

Donald Grail.jpg

I think the price is good for one of the Top ones. No copy have been ever certified more.

I personally love this book as the Bubble Pipe, but indeed they are both just reprints, so content-wise not that important. Beside that, these covers are great. I always wondered from which strip this one has been taken... I looked all of them from Taliaferro, but no luck.

Here my copy:

IMG_20210205_0004.jpg

On 6/24/2023 at 2:02 PM, BitterOldMan said:

Over a decade ago,Barks lithos got so cheap, they couldn’t give them away.

IMG_2325.thumb.jpeg.fe315e073b261441cd36ea7f81f5ea94.jpeg

Made me happy and sad. I picked up a quite a few at that time because, yeah, at that price? :yeehaw:

On 7/3/2023 at 12:07 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Wow! BTW do you have a complete collection of Sugar and Spike? That may be harder to finish!

I do not; one of these days I need to really dive in and get the rest of the Sugar & Spike issues.  I do have a complete run of the Scribbly solo series, though.

On 7/3/2023 at 7:45 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Scribbly is a great series; I lucked out on a CGC mislabeled issue #1 that no one seemed to notice on Comic Link. Picked it up for a great price. Buy the book not the label!

Scribbly1.jpg.e533d3efd6b69793c9f52ff7ff802df5.jpg

Very shrewd purchase ‼️❤️ you are smart👍