• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

I only really collect PCH these days but I have always loved DD.

I haven't bought a Ducky book for 20 years but I still love some of the covers. I figure if I can pick the odd one up cheap here and there it's a fun thing to do.

Just got this one in the mail today.

grtght.jpg

vrbr.png

I have almost always collected ECs and PCH. But also loved the Barks Ducks as well as pretty much every other genre depending on my mood.

PCH and Ducks are always a consistently good read. EC and Ducks are the best and most consistency great reads.

I have a number of graded copies but I treasure the raw ones the most. 

On 7/24/2023 at 11:48 PM, Paul (GG) © ® ™💙 said:

I only really collect PCH these days but I have always loved DD.

I haven't bought a Ducky book for 20 years but I still love some of the covers. I figure if I can pick the odd one up cheap here and there it's a fun thing to do.

Just got this one in the mail today.

grtght.jpg

vrbr.png

I picked up this same issue at a LCS about 5-6 years ago for $10. Not slabbed so I got to read and enjoy it. I have a hard time believing the cover is by Walt Kelly though; it doesn't have the charm he usually brings to his work.

On 7/24/2023 at 8:38 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I have a hard time believing the cover is by Walt Kelly though; it doesn't have the charm he usually brings to his work.

One of Kelly's strengths is that he tends to follow the official model sheets very closely.  A side effect of this is that, when he works on licensed characters, his style can get a bit lost when he's doing a single image, such as a cover, like this.  It generally pops back when he does a full story, even a single pager. 

On 7/25/2023 at 1:38 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I have a hard time believing the cover is by Walt Kelly though; it doesn't have the charm he usually brings to his work.

The ducklings in the washer are very much in Kelly's style, so I think the attribution is right. But I agree that DD looks a little 'off'.

On the other hand, this Kelly cover (on an Australian copy I got in today) is very nice.

CP6.jpg.187c6d248878b74266763fc25e7f8002.jpg

On 7/25/2023 at 3:28 PM, AJD said:

The ducklings in the washer are very much in Kelly's style, so I think the attribution is right. But I agree that DD looks a little 'off'.

On the other hand, this Kelly cover (on an Australian copy I got in today) is very nice.

CP6.jpg.187c6d248878b74266763fc25e7f8002.jpg

Kelly always drew Huey Dewey and Louie a little funny when compared to Barks; something about the beaks. On the other hand his Donald always looked great; compare the washing machine cover to some of the books posted by Marty above. On the other hand maybe Kelly was rushed or having a bad day!!

On 7/27/2023 at 4:02 PM, Tom789 said:

What's the old saying - a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step?  Well, here are the first three steps in my low-grade, raw, Carl Barks duck collection.  Long way to go!

20230727_144712.thumb.jpg.b6093b327bfc7dcfc30300fe4730d14b.jpg

3 great books.  I remember reading a reprint of Ghost in the Grotto  when I was fairly young and loving it.  In Old California is one of the earliest Barks I purchased and it's another classic great Bark story.

On 7/28/2023 at 7:02 AM, Tom789 said:

What's the old saying - a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step?  Well, here are the first three steps in my low-grade, raw, Carl Barks duck collection.  Long way to go!

20230727_144712.thumb.jpg.b6093b327bfc7dcfc30300fe4730d14b.jpg

Nothing wrong with that! All my early purchases were low grade and I have slowly been upgrading for decades. I still have my pile of beater classics that I can pull when I want to reread one of the great stories!