• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 12/22/2022 at 12:50 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

You wont be disappointed!

Oftentimes you can look at something and not notice the small details. Often these details are the difference between something being good or great. While I’ve always known Christmas for Shacktown was a great cover I think looking at it on line lends a new perspective. The small detail of the shacks in the background while hardly visually commanding is just such a detail. Imagine the composition without it? Hardly as effective yet it is such a small touch! 

The genius of Carl Barks! Merry Christmas and remember, Dell Comics are Good Comics!

On 12/23/2022 at 9:40 AM, Robot Man said:

My favorite of the Barks Duck Four Colors. I read every year to my kids and now my grandkids. Such a wonderful message.

That’s a great tradition Bob! My kids were big Little Lulu fans and we used to go to the SDCC fan meeting of the Lulu group when they were young. They would reenact a Lulu story letting the audience read parts! Goofy but fun. I’ve been slowly buying Lulu books to leave for my daughter for years!

On 12/23/2022 at 4:10 PM, Kromak said:

Very cool, aren't they? :) They are from my country, Brazil, from 1993. Besides these, I purchased many more and I will post a few in each of my next posts.

Are Disney comics still published in Brazil? So sad that monthlies have ceased in the U.S.

On 12/24/2022 at 1:33 AM, Badger said:

Are Disney comics still published in Brazil? So sad that monthlies have ceased in the U.S.

Yes. There are currently seven titles. Donald,Scrooge, Mickey, a title that publishes the stories in English!!! (no idea that this was being published), a fat Junior Woodchucks title with 144 pages and two mixed titles. I will try to grab the Scrooge one, if I can still find it. 

On 12/29/2022 at 3:42 AM, dikran said:

Disney can sell litterally millions of units of any junk with Mickey or Donald on it, except comics... Go figure (shrug)

More likely it's just too small a business to move the needle, even if profitable (or very profitable).  

On 12/29/2022 at 2:27 PM, tth2 said:

More likely it's just too small a business to move the needle, even if profitable (or very profitable).  

The model under Gladstone/Gemstone was for Disney to let someone else do the publishing with the corporation presumably taking a cut from license fees. For Disney it was no work and no risk. Presumably they would do that again, so my guess is that no publisher thinks there's a decent return to be had.

On 12/29/2022 at 11:45 AM, AJD said:
On 12/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, tth2 said:

The model under Gladstone/Gemstone was for Disney to let someone else do the publishing with the corporation presumably taking a cut from license fees. For Disney it was no work and no risk. Presumably they would do that again, so my guess is that no publisher thinks there's a decent return to be had.

Even as a pure licensing deal, where the gross profit margin is close to 100%, someone needs to spend time and effort to monitor it for compliance with their standards, licensing terms, etc.  The total dollars they would receive just wouldn't be worth that time and effort.  

On 12/28/2022 at 11:13 PM, dikran said:

If they put a rack of Disney comics in the Emporium at Magic Kingdom or World of Disney at Disney Springs, they’d outsell ANY currently published comic 100 to 1

Absolutely. They should be capitalizing on the cartoon popularity of Duck Tales and Mickey Mouse. They own Marvel for Pete's sake.

On 12/29/2022 at 11:03 AM, Badger said:

Absolutely. They should be capitalizing on the cartoon popularity of Duck Tales and Mickey Mouse. They own Marvel for Pete's sake.

I honestly don’t get it either… why bother licensing? Keep it in-house, synergy, all that corporate speak they are so fond of… target younger readers… give them a «Carl Barks» of their own, I’m sure he’s out there chomping at the bit. 

On 12/29/2022 at 8:20 AM, dikran said:

I honestly don’t get it either… why bother licensing? Keep it in-house, synergy, all that corporate speak they are so fond of… target younger readers… give them a «Carl Barks» of their own, I’m sure he’s out there chomping at the bit. 

it would have to be digital; it would never be traditional comics. And if you go digital you simply go into the cartoon or game side of things. Kids don't get off the screen these days. Just the way it is.

On 12/29/2022 at 2:49 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

On the other hand for the small kids (pre screen) Disney is still publishing Golden Books an old co-worker of mine just published and sold out the first print run of this book.

https://www.amazon.com/Disneyland-Disney-Classic-Little-Golden/dp/0736443355

81SKXGLehxL.jpg

Well that's great! Loved the Golden Books when I was a wee tuff Badger!