• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 5/29/2023 at 8:22 AM, Robot Man said:

Reminds me of this piece. Made in Japan probably for the Japanese market.

IMG_6619.jpeg

Looks like it could be same company.  And it has Disney and non-Disney characters.

On 5/28/2023 at 3:57 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I picked up this awesome unlicensed and unused package for some kind of children's rice treat at a Tokyo flea market. Wish I could figure out what year this was made but I think I would need to read Japanese to do that to research the company. MIckey and Donald must have been beloved figures here and I wonder if the back is a take off on Babar. And who is on that flag Donald is waving!!

TokyoPacage1.thumb.jpg.db10f5857b862226c1d8b11c55ba9cf0.jpgTokyoPacage2.thumb.jpg.9f6a53ff3a0f91f6f5c7f8cd715b9bfa.jpg

You can use your phone, highlight the text and translate to English or other languages.  This feature has been around a really long time.

IMG_2235.thumb.png.9a0c740dd73a80c18090a196c6b7c816.pngIMG_2236.thumb.png.06c64857954aa1f30bcba66a6aec1099.png

On 5/30/2023 at 2:02 AM, BitterOldMan said:

You can use your phone, highlight the text and translate to English or other languages.  This feature has been around a really long time.

IMG_2235.thumb.png.9a0c740dd73a80c18090a196c6b7c816.pngIMG_2236.thumb.png.06c64857954aa1f30bcba66a6aec1099.png

Yes that is easy enough to do but I couldn't find clues to the company name with Google translate. I suspect it may be the circular mark in the lower right. I wonder if I can cut out that portion of the image and do a search on that somehow?

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 5/30/2023 at 12:22 AM, Robot Man said:

Reminds me of this piece. Made in Japan probably for the Japanese market.

IMG_6619.jpeg

I'm curious if these pieces are pre or post war. I bet the piece above is pre-war but I'm not sure on the piece I have. The Imperial war powers would have frowned on the use of American imagery at some point in the 1930's as they became more repressive. After the war there was a boom in American looking products as the Japanese struggled to rebuild the economy under occupation forces. I've been on the hunt for iconic imagery from that time but it seems hard to come by or I don't know where to look. I've found one bookstore with a healthy supply of old movie magazines from the sixties. Bright red was a staple color cover!!

On 5/29/2023 at 4:04 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I'm curious if these pieces are pre or post war. I bet the piece above is pre-war but I'm not sure on the piece I have. The Imperial war powers would have frowned on the use of American imagery at some point in the 1930's as they became more repressive. After the war there was a boom in American looking products as the Japanese struggled to rebuild the economy under occupation forces. I've been on the hunt for iconic imagery from that time but it seems hard to come by or I don't know where to look. I've found one bookstore with a healthy supply of old movie magazines from the sixties. Bright red was a staple color cover!!

The one I posted is defiantly pre-war. Probably early to mid ‘30’s. The “T” in the symbol with trade mark around it is the company name. Hard to say which one. The post war/‘50’s tin toys had similar mysterious letters with no name.

Hard to tell on your piece. Made obviously for the Japanese market. I would take a guess maybe late ‘40’s/early ‘50’s? 

On 5/30/2023 at 9:19 AM, Robot Man said:

The one I posted is defiantly pre-war. Probably early to mid ‘30’s. The “T” in the symbol with trade mark around it is the company name. Hard to say which one. The post war/‘50’s tin toys had similar mysterious letters with no name.

Hard to tell on your piece. Made obviously for the Japanese market. I would take a guess maybe late ‘40’s/early ‘50’s? 

With the chaos that occurred in the post war era I am sure little was written down or preserved as people tried to survive. I have become very interested in that time period and have been doing a lot of reading on it. There is a series of three books by David Peace that interweave three famous crimes committed in post war Tokyo with fictional stories that are a fantastic read.

On 5/30/2023 at 7:59 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yes that is easy enough to do but I couldn't find clues to the company name with Google translate. I suspect it may be the circular mark in the lower right. I wonder if I can cut out that portion of the image and do a search on that somehow?

The top circular mark is the kanji character for “Yamamoto” and the katakana characters on the outside of the top part of the circle say “Nagoya” which presumably refers to the city where the company’s from.  

The bottom circular mark seems to be “Sou”, and again the katakana characters outside the top part of the circle say “Nagoya”.

i can’t find any dates anywhere.

On 5/30/2023 at 12:51 PM, tth2 said:

The top circular mark is the kanji character for “Yamamoto” and the katakana characters on the outside of the top part of the circle say “Nagoya” which presumably refers to the city where the company’s from.  

The bottom circular mark seems to be “Sou”, and again the katakana characters outside the top part of the circle say “Nagoya”.

i can’t find any dates anywhere.

Thanks good clues!!

On 5/19/2023 at 4:04 PM, OtherEric said:

Now I'm down to only needing one Dell issue of US, and a total of 4 issues with new Barks stories:

That's awesome! I don't think any of them are all that elusive, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time...  :wishluck:

When it comes to some of these 50's Dells, there are so many good values left out there, and as far as truly classic and well-crafted comics, the Bark's Uncles Scrooges are on a par with anything else, including EC's. 2c

On 5/31/2023 at 6:53 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:
On 5/30/2023 at 10:06 PM, tth2 said:

The characters say they are "romaji kado", i.e., western alphabet cards.

Kids could enjoy their snacks and learn the western alphabet!

That would tend to make me think this is post war then.

I think so too.

On 6/9/2023 at 1:11 PM, OtherEric said:

In today, thanks to @Robot Man  This gives me all the Dell issues of Uncle Scrooge.

Uncle Scrooge 014.jpg

Awesome! I am not even sure if I have every Dell Scrooge but I am sure I have read every story!! The first fifteen issues always felt like Barks' Magnum Opus to me. Though some of the duck Four Colors might certainly qualify as well. The early Gold Key run has its own charms though particularly when Magica DeSpell comes into the picture. Those books have a playfullness removed from Barks work five to ten years earlier. I still remember laughing out loud at the Many Faces of Magica DeSpell!!