• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2023 at 7:45 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Scribbly is a great series; I lucked out on a CGC mislabeled issue #1 that no one seemed to notice on Comic Link. Picked it up for a great price. Buy the book not the label!

Scribbly1.jpg.e533d3efd6b69793c9f52ff7ff802df5.jpg

Sheesh! Another QC success story.  :facepalm: 

On 7/7/2023 at 3:24 AM, OtherEric said:

In today.  This gives me the complete run of Uncle Scrooge issues by Carl Barks.  Four Color 386, 456, and 495; then Uncle Scrooge 4-66, 68-71, and 216, plus Uncle Scrooge Adventures 33.  I've also got most of the other books that have Barks stories where Scrooge is the headlining character.  This included Four Color 1025 (Vacation in Disneyland), and the Dell Giants Uncle Scrooge Goes to Disneyland, Disneyland Birthday Party, Mickey Mouse Almanac, and Walt Disney Summer Fun #2.  As far as I know, the only one I'm missing where the Feature is Uncle Scrooge is Donald Duck #81, which apparently has a 1-page Uncle Scrooge story that I just found out about today.  Does anybody know of any others?

Congrats, that's fantastic! 

I assume you've got all the Barks Scrooge stories in WDC&S, although you didn't list that title amongst the "other books that have Barks stories where Scrooge is the headlining character"? 

On 7/6/2023 at 9:31 PM, tth2 said:

Congrats, that's fantastic! 

I assume you've got all the Barks Scrooge stories in WDC&S, although you didn't list that title amongst the "other books that have Barks stories where Scrooge is the headlining character"? 

As near as I can tell, there are very few Uncle Scrooge headlining stories in WDC&S.  Instead, it's Uncle Scrooge taking a lead role in what's technically still a Donald Duck ten pager.  Although I've had a couple one pagers headlining Scrooge pointed out to me.

Overall, my WDC&S collection can be described as very spotty, other than a solid run of 204-254 with the Scamp feature.  Which of course also included a lot of classic Barks 10-pagers.

On 7/7/2023 at 2:15 PM, OtherEric said:

As near as I can tell, there are very few Uncle Scrooge headlining stories in WDC&S.  Instead, it's Uncle Scrooge taking a lead role in what's technically still a Donald Duck ten pager.  Although I've had a couple one pagers headlining Scrooge pointed out to me.

Overall, my WDC&S collection can be described as very spotty, other than a solid run of 204-254 with the Scamp feature.  Which of course also included a lot of classic Barks 10-pagers.

One fun thing about collecting WDC&S is the sheer number of issues (even just Barks' original run and not reprints) makes for a great long collecting journey. Add in the early pre Barks issues and post Barks issues and the fun never stops!!

On 7/8/2023 at 7:17 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

One fun thing about collecting WDC&S is the sheer number of issues (even just Barks' original run and not reprints) makes for a great long collecting journey. Add in the early pre Barks issues and post Barks issues and the fun never stops!!

Barks ducks are among my most favorite comics. Probably, at one time or another,  I have owned and read most of them. But collecting the run of WDCS is just out of the question to me. Just too many and too many to store. I much prefer shorter much more manageable runs. I have put together all my favorite ones and occasionally pick up one here it there when they pop up. 

On 7/9/2023 at 7:44 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I've been at it for literally fifty years and I probably only have half of them. The majority bought off the stands or at flea markets as a kid. Now I am working on the sub 100 part of the run; picking up an issue here and there. I doubt I'll ever get all of them but the thrill of the hunt is the fun for me. I think what I have takes up 2-3 short boxes in the comic closet. When I retire someday I should try to do a group shot but that would be an all day affair!!

About as close I come to being a completest on would be ECs. I have about 4 magazine boxes comprising all the New Trend to the end ones. At one time I had all of them except a few giveaways. When the reprint books came out, I sold off most of them to buy other GA that wasn’t reprinted. I missed them so started up again. I have a little over half the Pre Trends. I look for the romance, crime, western and Moon Girl. The humor ones, I no longer feel the need to complete unless they land in my lap at the right price. ECs and Barks ducks are the best comics ever produced in my humble opinion. 

On 7/10/2023 at 12:44 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I've been at it for literally fifty years and I probably only have half of them. The majority bought off the stands or at flea markets as a kid. Now I am working on the sub 100 part of the run; picking up an issue here and there. I doubt I'll ever get all of them but the thrill of the hunt is the fun for me. I think what I have takes up 2-3 short boxes in the comic closet. When I retire someday I should try to do a group shot but that would be an all day affair!!

I had a crack at that project and for a while it seemed doable. But the combination of a decline in the A$ relative to the US$ and the run up of prices after 2019 finally saw me call it quits, missing #1,2,3 and 5. But it certainly was fun while it lasted! You can see mine in my Dell comics gallery, as linked in my sig.

OK, I guess there were a few books I was missing for all the Uncle Scrooge as the title of the feature by Barks that I was missing.  The WDC&S 262 has an odd vertical half page Scrooge story and the DD 81 and WDC&S 297 both have 1-page stories.  The Uncle Scrooge Adventures #19 has a 1-page story that was apparently intended for Uncle Scrooge #19 but deleted at the last minute for an ad.  It appeared overseas when it was created, and was reprinted in books, but this is the first US comic appearance of the story.  The Uncle Scrooge Adventures has the five missing pages of "Back to the Klondike" restored, I think this is the first time they appeared in an actual comic in the US but I haven't quite been able to verify that.

WDC&S 262.jpg

Donald Duck 081.jpg

WDC&S 297.jpg

Uncle Scrooge Adventures 19.jpg

Uncle Scrooge Adventures 26.jpg

On 7/14/2023 at 6:47 AM, OtherEric said:

The Uncle Scrooge Adventures #19 has a 1-page story that was apparently intended for Uncle Scrooge #19 but deleted at the last minute for an ad.  It appeared overseas when it was created, and was reprinted in books, but this is the first US comic appearance of the story.

I think this is the one pager you refer to, as first printed in Australia.

G219back.jpg.53e85559b7f6b6ae2e80440a1baebd16.jpg

Some sources put the first appearance in Uncle Scrooge G415 in 1967, but the printing above was on the back cover of this book from 1961, not long after Uncle Scrooge #19 was published in the US.

large_G219.jpg.d6937e64b372832c5759d172dea75f28.jpg

On 7/13/2023 at 7:57 PM, AJD said:

I think this is the one pager you refer to, as first printed in Australia.

G219back.jpg.53e85559b7f6b6ae2e80440a1baebd16.jpg

Some sources put the first appearance in Uncle Scrooge G415 in 1967, but the printing above was on the back cover of this book from 1961, not long after Uncle Scrooge #19 was published in the US.

large_G219.jpg.d6937e64b372832c5759d172dea75f28.jpg

That is indeed the page in question.  Inducks shows it as showing up in Brazil and Italy earlier, but that looks like the first publication in English.  Awesome!