• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, the authority said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I grabbed a nice high grade copy for pretty much nothing so let's see how it does.  I think I've got two more copies floating around but you can never have too many hot books.

On 5/1/2017 at 8:41 AM, 1Cool said:

Here is a pick - Preacher 8 & 13.  Preacher is ice cold right now and the 1st season was only ok but they concentrated way too much on the set up and didn't stick to the ---script.  I'm thinking people are going to really like the Grandma story line and get invested in the plot if they can properly show it on tv.  Star may not be cool on the small screen but who know if he will get picked up as a popular Cos-Play character and become a hit.  I really don't think we have heard the last of the Preacher hits.

So here is an interesting question.  Given that Grandma, TC and Jody are pretty key characters in Preacher, why doesn't the label for CGC say that?  Looking at copies on eBay none of them say first full appearance of TC, Jody and grandma.

on the plus side just got a 9.8 copy of preacher 8 for $41.05... 

Edited by Drbearsec

On Tue Apr 25 2017 at 8:20 AM, SquareChaos said:

JSC, Hughes, Ross, McFarlane, Stevens, Wrightson, Adams (both), etc ... those names absolutely sell books.

And for the record, I do enjoy some of Dell'Otto's covers, I think I've been pretty clear I'm a fan, but he certainly isn't in the same category as some of the names from the list.

:gossip: Dell'otto sells more than Hughes, Ross, Art and Neil Adams (new stuff).  McFarlane works intermittently now, so his new stuff is few and far between so may be perceived as a bigger deal, when it comes out. In fact, the only modern artist that out sells Dell'otto in either the new release or modern back issue modern market is JSC (who also releases much more material than Dell'otto through his own "store" and through ratio incentives).  Artists get paid more for the incentives than they do for regular covers, JSC sells direct now and Dell'otto sticks to incentives (while doing the occasional store exclusive).  Each artist is working the way they choose in a matter that they believe will make them the most money and I don't begrudge anyone the right to make a living (even though I believe JSC is flooding market with too much product at the moment).  Dell'otto also is responsible for two of the most valuable modern books in the top 12, while JSC has four.  McFarlane has one. All the others you mention have zero between them (and all but Wrightson and Stevens have done modern variant covers).  

I'm not sure what you really meant with your statement, but right now in the modern cover variant market JSC and Dell'otto are absolutely numbers one and two, with the likes of Hughes, et al in a cluster in a distant third behind them.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

15 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

So here is an interesting question.  Given that Grandma, TC and Jody are pretty key characters in Preacher, why doesn't the label for CGC say that?  Looking at copies on eBay none of them say first full appearance of TC, Jody and grandma.

on the plus side just got a 9.8 copy of preacher 8 for $41.05... 

Very nice pick up on the Preacher 8 CGC 9.8.  I've submitted 4 copies and gotten 1 9.8, 1 9.6 and 2 failed the prescreening.  The dark cover seems to be tough to find in 9.8 so I definitely would buy at the $40-$50 mark.

11 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

:gossip: Dell'otto sells more than Hughes, Ross, Art and Neil Adams (new stuff).  McFarlane works intermittently now, so his new stuff is few and far between so may be perceived as a bigger deal, when it comes out. In fact, the only modern artist that out sells Dell'otto in either the new release or modern back issue modern market is JSC (who also releases much more material than Dell'otto through his own "store" and through ratio incentives).  Artists get paid more for the incentives than they do for regular covers, JSC sells direct now and Dell'otto sticks to incentives (while doing the occasional store exclusive).  Each artist is working the way they choose in a matter that they believe will make them the most money and I don't begrudge anyone the right to make a living (even though I believe JSC is flooding market with too much product at the moment).  Dell'otto also is responsible for two of the most valuable modern books in the top 12, while JSC has four.  McFarlane has one. All the others you mention have zero between them (and all but Wrightson and Stevens have done modern variant covers).  

I'm not sure what you really meant with your statement, but right now in the modern cover variant market JSC and Dell'otto are absolutely numbers one and two, with the likes of Hughes, et al in a cluster in a distant third behind them.  

-J.

This one will also fit well with this thread's topic. Thanks for reminding me

s-l1600 (1).jpg

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I see a lot of people talking about Baby Teeth. I'm going to steer clear of this one. Donny Cates is on most people's radar now and I think there will be plenty to go around.

If I can get a few at face, I'll do it.  If they jump too high then I probably won't.

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Very nice pick up on the Preacher 8 CGC 9.8.  I've submitted 4 copies and gotten 1 9.8, 1 9.6 and 2 failed the prescreening.  The dark cover seems to be tough to find in 9.8 so I definitely would buy at the $40-$50 mark.

Yeah I was surprised it only went for $40... Although must say, can't figure out WHY the label for #8 doesn't list it as the first full appearance of Jody, TC and Grandma.  Can't remember if Mom and Dad Custer were in that or Issue 9, but still those are pretty big characters in the series.

For your pre-screening, what is your cutoff mark?  9.4? 

28 minutes ago, Drbearsec said:

Yeah I was surprised it only went for $40... Although must say, can't figure out WHY the label for #8 doesn't list it as the first full appearance of Jody, TC and Grandma.  Can't remember if Mom and Dad Custer were in that or Issue 9, but still those are pretty big characters in the series.

For your pre-screening, what is your cutoff mark?  9.4? 

I've only just started doing it but my last one was 9.6 and higher.  I still make a bit on the 9.6s and they seem to sell fast on e-bay so I don't miss bad a few of them in a batch.

1 hour ago, Drbearsec said:

If I can get a few at face, I'll do it.  If they jump too high then I probably won't.

While I agree that Donny is certainly on most people's radar, Baby Teeth is an indie that most shops won't carry.

Aftershock is a small publishing house whose highest printed title has been Animosity 1 (9,081). I've certainly ordered a few copies but still believe there will be many shops that miss this one. If Image had picked this one up then it would be a different story...2c

Edited by Holden Caulfield

12 hours ago, Holden Caulfield said:

While I agree that Donny is certainly on most people's radar, Baby Teeth is an indie that most shops won't carry.

Aftershock is a small publishing house whose highest printed title has been Animosity 1 (9,081). I've certainly ordered a few copies but still believe there will be many shops that miss this one. If Image had picked this one up then it would be a different story...2c

God Country was only 15k with 2 covers from, as you mentioned, a more well known publisher. Don't get me wrong, there will be money to be made in the first week. But it will be all about timing and selling to other "speculators". Aftershock has not had many titles that have increased in value. Lately, World Reader and Pestilence, but only the variants. Regular covers aren't doing much. They had a Warren Ellis title that didn't do anything to my knowledge.

17 hours ago, Holden Caulfield said:

I honestly do not think the casual comic fan who knows nothing about this title will be intrigued enough by the title to pick it up off the shelf.  I mean come on, "Baby Teeth"???  How scary does that sound?  Not very.  Shark teeth, perhaps, Monster Teeth?  Maybe.. ENGLISH TEETH!! Absolutely, but Baby Teeth??  Meh..

I pre-ordered some but didn't go super crazy on it.  I do think there will be some heat though, and as you stated, I think shops will pass as it's an Indie and most shops are sticking to the big 3 as that's what people are mostly buying.  

Edited by Pinky Lee Zepplin

14 minutes ago, Pinky Lee Zepplin said:

I honestly do not think the casual comic fan who knows nothing about this title will be intrigued enough by the title to pick it up off the shelf.  I mean come on, "Baby Teeth"???  How scary does that sound?  Not very.  Shark teeth, perhaps, Monster Teeth?  Maybe.. ENGLISH TEETH!! Absolutely, but Baby Teeth??  Meh..

I pre-ordered some but didn't go super crazy on it.  I do think there will be some heat though, and as you stated, I think shops will pass as it's an Indie and most shops are sticking to the big 3 as that's what people are mostly buying.  

Agreed, but would you say the same about God Country and Redneck? I could make a case for either not being intriguing to the casual reader. I also don't think that is who has purchased either of those comics at above cover price.