• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

The ship ha sailed? After one misleading season?

Are people attention spans that short now? Sure, the peak may be over for #1 but there is PLENTY of meat left, and PLENTY of potential. WHAT IF 3 seasons in, it one of the top cable series? Do you think they'll still be dirt cheap? Of all the spec I see thrown around I will never understand why Preacher is being shrugged off lol

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Walking Dead wasn't a hit out of the gate and now it's one of the biggest on cable.

Precisely so. In another brilliant move on my part, I sold my WD #1 9.8 when season 2 began because I thought "Well, how much more popular could this get?" I made something like $700-$900 on it, and was perfectly happy at the time. Makes me a little woozy to think about how expensive that book is now.  WD prices continued to climb, and even to this day we see new keys emerging every time a new character is introduced on the show. I'm not saying that Preacher will ever approach the worldwide phenomenon status that WD has achieved, but it definitely has the makings of a long-term hit with a loyal following. I don't have any Preacher myself, so I don't really have a dog in the race, but I think I'd be holding rather than panic selling at this point. Who knows where it will go?

18 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Precisely so. In another brilliant move on my part, I sold my WD #1 9.8 when season 2 began because I thought "Well, how much more popular could this get?" I made something like $700-$900 on it, and was perfectly happy at the time. Makes me a little woozy to think about how expensive that book is now.  WD prices continued to climb, and even to this day we see new keys emerging every time a new character is introduced on the show. I'm not saying that Preacher will ever approach the worldwide phenomenon status that WD has achieved, but it definitely has the makings of a long-term hit with a loyal following. I don't have any Preacher myself, so I don't really have a dog in the race, but I think I'd be holding rather than panic selling at this point. Who knows where it will go?

Yea, win some, lose some. $900 on what original investment? I bet it was still a good margin.

The thing with Preacher, or anything now for that matter, is that people are well aware of what COULD happen. So, when Preacher was announced as moving forward a 9.8 of the preview was near that $900 mark, IIRC.

Preacher is still a 500+ book which is more than it was pre-speculation. So it never lost its value if you bought pre-spec. 

The problem was that ALOT of people bought hard DURING speculation and it came down %50+ since the show didnt become WD instantly (duh)

That left a sour taste with speculators/investors and now they're far far faaaaaar away from this book.

So based on market terms, the Preacher bubble HAS burst, but mainly because alot of fools bought it for the wrong reasons.

What will happen in the future with this book remains to be seen

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Yea, win some, lose some. $900 on what original investment? I bet it was still a good margin.

The thing with Preacher, or anything now for that matter, is that people are well aware of what COULD happen. So, when Preacher was announced as moving forward a 9.8 of the preview was near that $900 mark, IIRC.

I bought a (at the time) complete WD raw set, I think it was like 1- 60 something maybe, would that be about right? Anyway, yeah, suffice to say I did very well on my investment, which is why I can't cry over it too much. But I'd gladly buy it back at the price!

In terms of speculating I usually look for books that have a potential to become books people will be searching for in the future with great covers.  The Preacher set has covers that although contain very little cleavage have a definite wow factor and can't really be beat.  The 1st season fell kind of flat but since the second season starts off pretty much at issue 1 of the comic series I don't have the vibe that this ship has sailed on this series.  And what makes it great is issue #1 was pretty much the only book that exploded in price so the rest of the series has nowhere to go but up from here.  Time will tell.

Edited by 1Cool

I thought they had abandoned the road trip aspect and crammed everyone in the same town instead. Is season 2 going back to the comic format?

48 minutes ago, Bird said:

I thought they had abandoned the road trip aspect and crammed everyone in the same town instead. Is season 2 going back to the comic format?

Last I heard the 2nd season will start the road trip to find God.

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I got $1k for mine on eBay.

11 hours ago, Hickok8AA8 said:

The ship ha sailed? After one misleading season?

Are people attention spans that short now? Sure, the peak may be over for #1 but there is PLENTY of meat left, and PLENTY of potential. WHAT IF 3 seasons in, it one of the top cable series? Do you think they'll still be dirt cheap? Of all the spec I see thrown around I will never understand why Preacher is being shrugged off lol

I'm not shrugging it off, that's for sure.

6 hours ago, ygogolak said:

I think I sold one of my Preview 9.8's for a little over 1K

I've slowly sold some early last year and have plenty in storage, just waiting for the show to take off to sell any extras I have left.  I was a fan long before the TV show, and know how cray-cray the stories get, and have faith that it can still draw a larger audience.  I do feel that if season 2 is a dud, we won't see a season 3 though.  AMC has too many other optioned shows to give that time slot in it's place.

As far as potential upcoming heat, don't sleep on BabyTeeth.  You should be getting your Ashcans now, they're on Ebay for $10-$20ish, for now.. It's another Donny Cates series.  Could be hot right out of the gate.

Edited by Pinky Lee Zepplin

5 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Preacher is still a 500+ book which is more than it was pre-speculation. So it never lost its value if you bought pre-spec. 

The problem was that ALOT of people bought hard DURING speculation and it came down %50+ since the show didnt become WD instantly (duh)

That left a sour taste with speculators/investors and now they're far far faaaaaar away from this book.

So based on market terms, the Preacher bubble HAS burst, but mainly because alot of fools bought it for the wrong reasons.

What will happen in the future with this book remains to be seen

This pretty much sums it up. Once bitten twice shy. The time to make good money on it is over for the forseeable future. You can bet on season 2 and buy on the dip go ahead. My LCS's now have almost a full run of preacher now that sits they couldn't keep an issue in last year. Nobody is asking about it anymore. I am not saying it wont heat up again, but I would bet against it after seeing the first season.

Edited by fastballspecial

1. Joe Kelly

2. Bermejo

3. Great 1st appearance

4. The best Superman story in the 21st century is getting ready to climb and deservedly so.

This isn't my copy but its a good example of what might be a good book to buy. I've been stocking up on these for years. Hope you find a copy cheap.

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, the authority said:

1. Joe Kelly

2. Bermejo

3. Great 1st appearance

4. The best Superman story in the 21st century is getting ready to climb and deservedly so.

This isn't my copy but its a good example of what might be a good book to buy. I've been stocking up on these for years. Hope you find a copy cheap.

s-l1600.jpg

Good heads up after the reveal yesterday. I grabbed a cheap copy but will keep my eyes out for more.

On 4/24/2017 at 3:59 PM, ygogolak said:

Huh? Cover art is one of the primary generators of Modern value.

Oh, and Neal Adams Batman books have gone through the roof the last two years.

As have other of his covers.