• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

February 2016 Heritage Auction

400 posts in this topic

I was collecting comics for 19 years before I even realized that original comic art was a thing.

This sums up a lot of OA collectors, myself included.

19 is early.

There are still lots of comic collectors in their 40s who are generally unaware of OA, though the Artist Editions and IDW AE promos are changing that over the last few years.

I still remember agonizing over my first "expensive" piece of OA. It was a Batman Animated splash in early 2000. Price was a staggering $279. I went for it and it was the piece that actually hooked me on focusing on splashes. My next crossing came when I bought the jungle action 23 cover for a crazy amount of money. I spent months thinking about it before pulling the trigger. Super happy I did. This year I crossed another spending milestone when I bought my Kirby pre code splash. I really love it but not sure I feel comfortable spending that much on OA. Sure I can afford to pump more into buying but it is hard to reconcile spending so much. Do other people have the same angst?

every time i buy a piece I say to myself, "What the f@@k did I do that for!", and everytime I sell a piece I say to myself ,"what the f@@k did i do that for!"

I still remember agonizing over my first "expensive" piece of OA. It was a Batman Animated splash in early 2000. Price was a staggering $279. I went for it and it was the piece that actually hooked me on focusing on splashes. My next crossing came when I bought the jungle action 23 cover for a crazy amount of money. I spent months thinking about it before pulling the trigger. Super happy I did. This year I crossed another spending milestone when I bought my Kirby pre code splash. I really love it but not sure I feel comfortable spending that much on OA. Sure I can afford to pump more into buying but it is hard to reconcile spending so much. Do other people have the same angst?

Of course as it reminds me of wanting to buy early classic GA Timely books. Expensive as hell but at least with OA you have the only copy so that makes it tad bit more exciting/rewarding to own. I remember owning SA keys like TOS#39 and a few others and could barely sell them on these boards. Of course as soon as I sold those off that market sky rocketed and hasn't look back ever since. The story of my collecting life. :tonofbricks:

every time i buy a piece I say to myself, "What the f@@k did I do that for!", and everytime I sell a piece I say to myself ,"what the f@@k did i do that for!"

lol

Well you spent what about 15 on that Kirby IIRC? My question to you is - would you feel the same angst if you spent that 15 on a comic? Probably not? Probably easier to sell the comic? (Although Kirby is pretty liquid).

You're either not human or really wealthy if you're giving zero thought to five digit art purchases. Only natural. Angst is not how Id characterize for me though. I feel zero angst. Either I feel something is worth it or I don't. 99% of the time I don't think it's worth it, but that's as it should be because when I buy something - the other 1% - I know it's the right piece for me.

Many many years ago I did a panel Collecting Comic Art at Wonder-Con and San Diego Comic-Con. usually have about 24-30 people in the audience. I would get a few after the panel tell me they didn't know you could buy art from your favorite comic book. One year a couple who was in the audience ran into me later and said they bought their first piece of art, a Kirby page after seeing my panel.

I think prior to 2004 there was a large number of comic book readers not aware of the OA market. Comicartfans has done alot to expose people to the possibilities.

lol Welcome to the wacky world of collecting (anything)!

lol Welcome to the wacky world of collecting (anything)!

I may get over my angst for the Black Panther 7 cover :luhv:

I bought one of my first pieces from an ad in CBG in about 1990; I was in college and had only become aware of OA in the prior year. For you young'uns...put another way there was no real internet yet. The market was fairly small at that point. The world wide web and Ebay are what took it to a whole'nother level of popularity.