• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

February 2016 Heritage Auction

400 posts in this topic

Some classic Ron Wilson the Thing goodness (cover and splash).

A Silvestri Wolverine cover if the John Byrne one is too old school for you.

Gil Kane Warlock cover.

Steranko Nick Fury splash.

The origin of Star-Lord, no, not that one, the Star Wars Weekly one, and another Star Wars Weekly cover.

I guess that Defenders Mignola cover on CL did good enough because here's the other one.

Unpublished cover(?) to Hulk 346 by this Todd guy.

Honestly, that cover doesn't do it for me either. I actually prefer the splash in the Clink auction

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DSilvestri%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item%5F1098885&id=1098885

Byrne probably was just past his peak, but that cover is outstanding IMO.

Needs a new logo. The extra white space is wonky.

To me its only outstanding in a 'check the boxes kind of way'. (wolverine, large image, solo series, byrne). The rendering itself is kind of unsuccessful in my eyes.

Honestly, that cover doesn't do it for me either. I actually prefer the splash in the Clink auction

http://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2Fauctions%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DSilvestri%26ItemType%3DCA%23Item%5F1098885&id=1098885

:sick: Give me the Bryne cover !

I prefer the Silvestri splash more than the Silvestri cover.

Byrne probably was just past his peak, but that cover is outstanding IMO.

Needs a new logo. The extra white space is wonky.

I like the cover, but the way it's different/off from the published versions would make me crazy...

I still remember agonizing over my first "expensive" piece of OA. It was a Batman Animated splash in early 2000. Price was a staggering $279. I went for it and it was the piece that actually hooked me on focusing on splashes. My next crossing came when I bought the jungle action 23 cover for a crazy amount of money. I spent months thinking about it before pulling the trigger. Super happy I did. This year I crossed another spending milestone when I bought my Kirby pre code splash. I really love it but not sure I feel comfortable spending that much on OA. Sure I can afford to pump more into buying but it is hard to reconcile spending so much. Do other people have the same angst?

every time i buy a piece I say to myself, "What the f@@k did I do that for!", and everytime I sell a piece I say to myself ,"what the f@@k did i do that for!"

lol Welcome to the wacky world of collecting (anything)!

I may get over my angst for the Black Panther 7 cover :luhv:

How recent is this angst? There's a Kirby Black Panther #7 cover up at HA:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/miscellaneous//p/7124-68006.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Time for another shot at it?

nothing to see here folks, move along, move along :devil:

The Black Panther Kirby cover is a great example of '70s Kirby. But looking at it closely, it looks like it is inked in marker. Am I correct? Is it normal for Kirby's '70s pieces? Anybody knows who was the inker?

Best,

Carlo

Interesting. I looked at it with the zoom option and the contours seemed blurred, but it might be the resolution. The inner blacks also seem slightly faded, certainly not your typical thick black of india ink (I may be using the wrong terminology here...).

BTW, is there an old thread that discusses the various inks techinques. Understanding inking would be like graduating to the next level at the OA school.

Thanks!

Carlo

Here's a stupid comparison, but just to give you some semblance of comparison.

Mike Mignola india brush and mechanical inks...

mignola%20black%20knight%20vs%20ironman.jpg

And some older Adam Hughes marker work...

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=117627&GSub=16597

The biggest giveaway is the equal spaced fill in marker. It tends to overlap in fairly equal spaced bands.

This is only a superficial comparison, and two different artists, so really just for talking purposes. It should also be noted that there are modern markers that are more fade resistant, they blend better, and can have brush tips that can create very painterly marks. And there are artists using markers now that make some very smooth beautiful looking work with them (AH!, Bruce Timm, etc.). But the marker tech when Kirby made that cover wasn't what it is now.

In some places the inking on the Black Panther cover approaches an almost drybrush characteristic. But if you look at it really closely, you can also see a lot of deviation in the line. It's very very organic. Not just thicks and thins, but almost a dragging of the ink over the surface. markers tend to be fairly rigid and they break up a different way. Check out the base of his kneecap, in that squirrely curved linework. You can see areas of stray bristles from the brush that give off the ink with the flick of the wrist/end of a stroke. marker would break up over a toothy surface as well, and in a drybrushy way, but more mechanically in the stroke.

The ink looks decidedly thin, though not nearly so thin as Mignola likes. :)

Then there are guys like John Beatty or Mick Gray, who ink guys like Kelley Jones and J.H. Williams with ink that looks black as midnight and almost glistens like obsidian or oil.

Some classic Ron Wilson the Thing goodness (cover and splash).

Gil Kane Warlock cover.

Steranko Nick Fury splash.

The origin of Star-Lord, no, not that one, the Star Wars Weekly one, and another Star Wars Weekly cover.

I guess that Defenders Mignola cover on CL did good enough because here's the other one.

Unpublished cover(?) to Hulk 346 by this Todd guy.

Some great pieces! Why can't I find these when I search from the auction main page?

Some great pieces! Why can't I find these when I search from the auction main page?

They haven't added the identification and descriptions yet (they're not even classified as original art at this point), so the search function has nothing to work with.

They haven't added the identification and descriptions yet (they're not even classified as original art at this point), so the search function has nothing to work with.

Ah, perfect - thanks!