• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westworld 2016
2 2

527 posts in this topic

I haven`t watched Westworld yet. Should I? Amazon Prime is offering me a free month trial of HBO GO.

I used it too. Perfect timing, since Westworld S1 is done. And if you really want to max out your mileage, I would suggest to watch The Leftovers S1 & S2. If you liked LOST at all (heck, even if you didn't), you'll like it a lot. I liked it even more than Westworld.

Edited by bronze_rules

God this is exasperating!

So are we saying for certain:

A) Bernard is Arnold in a cloned body

B) Maeves 'escape' is just another programme - ( as she just realised) and she over-rode that programme to go to Park 1 to find her daughter knowing it was an android, or does she think it's really hers? - As in she REALLY thinks she is alive?

C) Ford is not dead - that's the android that was being built when Bernard started killing, and realised he was an android (2 eps ago)?

D) Ford, on learning that he was being 'fired' pre-emptively struck first, using his army of 'old' models' to kill off all the current board and VIP's?

E) We still don't know who the hell Ed Harris is, in timeline #1

F) Delores is ACTUALLY Wyatt, and she now knows it.

I was just scratching my head - but loving the show.

Great TV - just hope it doesn't become another "Lost"

All help/confirmation/correction welcome!

B) Maeves 'escape' is just another programme - ( as she just realised) and she over-rode that programme to go to Park 1 to find her daughter knowing it was an android, or does she think it's really hers? - As in she REALLY thinks she is alive?

C) Ford is not dead - that's the android that was being built when Bernard started killing, and realised he was an android (2 eps ago)?

D) Ford, on learning that he was being 'fired' pre-emptively struck first, using his army of 'old' models' to kill off all the current board and VIP's?

A) He's an android, not a clone.

B) Not sure, but I'm leaning towards program since she has every reason to think they'll kill her if she goes back, so why would she go back unless her programming is making it happen?

C) No real idea. I saw no compelling evidence it was an android Ford that died, but who knows, maybe it was. As far as that goes it could have been an android Arnold who died, too. Hard to know in this show if any death is a real person who died. (shrug)

D) Looks like it, not sure

E) Huh? He's William. He explicitly said he was.

F) Yep.

A-D yes

E Ed Harris is William

F yes

Edited by Jking3437

I would think that now that they have done westworld, next season will be futureworld.

The park reopens after the tragedy, we get to see all the different parks besides westworld, and then they start kidnapping world leaders and replacing them with robots.

Whatever they do I'm looking forward to it big time.

Did they ever say who had reprogrammed Maeve with the escape narrative? I would guess Ford, but I can't remember if they ever said specifically who did it.

I have a feeling Maeve was reprogrammed by Ford as part of his later realized guilt that that hosts had the chance to be alive, but needed to gain their freedom through suffering.

He didn't even seem surprised when Bernard showed up again after forcing him to shoot himself in the head. Like he just assumed Maeve or someone else would figure out how to raise him back up.

"Recruit"

"Escape"

"Manipulate"

"Mainland Infiltration"

Even with all those commands, I want to find out if she also had a hidden command to force her return back to the park. Or, did she make that decision on her own to find her programmed daughter?

Westworld Creators Reveal Whether Maeve Is in Control When She Gets Off the Train

Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy were guests on this week's Vulture TV Podcast, and they were very clear about her motivations: She was, indeed, finally throwing off the shackles of her narrative programming. The topic came up during a discussion about recurring shots and filming techniques in the first season: As Nolan explained, Steadicam shots indicate that hosts are doing what they've been told to do, but handheld shots indicate that they're acting on their own.

In the finale, when Maeve gets onto that train ... the Steadicam is leading her over. Now, it’s just keeping pace with her as she makes the decision. What we understand in the moment is it’s the first real decision she's made all season. Which is, she's not going to fulfill the -script she's been given, which is to take this train wherever it's going, and do whatever else she's programmed to do. She can get off the train. At which point, we shift to handheld camera, which we'd held back on throughout the entire season until one moment with her, and one moment with Dolores, when Teddy comes to rescue her. We get Maeve off the train with a handheld camera. And I remember watching the dailies and almost being shocked at how effective a cinematic technique can be if you hold off on it for long enough. If you dial it in at just the right moment, that suggests she's literally like a train coming off the tracks. We're no longer in programmatic or prescribed behaviors. She's improvising, and we're right there with her.

Edited by Bosco685

Interesting choice of a name.

Behind the name: Maeve

MAEVE

USAGE: Irish, Irish Mythology

PRONOUNCED: MAYV

Maeve is a short and sweet legendary ancient Irish queen's name. Maeve appears in Irish mythology in two forms, one as the powerful Queen of Connacht, the other as the queen of the fairies.

Anglicized form of the Gaelic name Medb meaning "intoxicating". In Irish legend this was the name of a warrior queen of Connacht. Her fight against Ulster and the hero Cúchulainn is told in the Irish epic 'The Cattle Raid of Cooley'.

I have a feeling Maeve was reprogrammed by Ford as part of his later realized guilt that that hosts had the chance to be alive, but needed to gain their freedom through suffering.

He didn't even seem surprised when Bernard showed up again after forcing him to shoot himself in the head. Like he just assumed Maeve or someone else would figure out how to raise him back up.

"Recruit"

"Escape"

"Manipulate"

"Mainland Infiltration"

Even with all those commands, I want to find out if she also had a hidden command to force her return back to the park. Or, did she make that decision on her own to find her programmed daughter?

Westworld Creators Reveal Whether Maeve Is in Control When She Gets Off the Train

Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy were guests on this week's Vulture TV Podcast, and they were very clear about her motivations: She was, indeed, finally throwing off the shackles of her narrative programming. The topic came up during a discussion about recurring shots and filming techniques in the first season: As Nolan explained, Steadicam shots indicate that hosts are doing what they've been told to do, but handheld shots indicate that they're acting on their own.

In the finale, when Maeve gets onto that train ... the Steadicam is leading her over. Now, it’s just keeping pace with her as she makes the decision. What we understand in the moment is it’s the first real decision she's made all season. Which is, she's not going to fulfill the -script she's been given, which is to take this train wherever it's going, and do whatever else she's programmed to do. She can get off the train. At which point, we shift to handheld camera, which we'd held back on throughout the entire season until one moment with her, and one moment with Dolores, when Teddy comes to rescue her. We get Maeve off the train with a handheld camera. And I remember watching the dailies and almost being shocked at how effective a cinematic technique can be if you hold off on it for long enough. If you dial it in at just the right moment, that suggests she's literally like a train coming off the tracks. We're no longer in programmatic or prescribed behaviors. She's improvising, and we're right there with her.

Excellent!

Thank you for posting that

I was hoping she was doing her own thing

Why would she willingly go back to a place where she would surely be deactivated/killed for the havoc and death she left behind her?

I haven`t watched Westworld yet. Should I? Amazon Prime is offering me a free month trial of HBO GO.

I used it too. Perfect timing, since Westworld S1 is done. And if you really want to max out your mileage, I would suggest to watch The Leftovers S1 & S2. If you liked LOST at all (heck, even if you didn't), you'll like it a lot. I liked it even more than Westworld.

I am all in for a free month. :) I will start watching it over the weekend. Do I have to watch the original movies? I never watched them either.

Seconded, the Leftovers us a fantastic show, can't wait for season 3

All I want to do after two seasons of that show is punch every single member of the Guilty Remnant square in the jaw. :mad: I'm a fan of Damon Lindelof's other works like Lost and Prometheus, but I hate the Leftovers. It's all of the mystery of Lost or the X-Files with very little of the sci-fi exploration and intrigue. It's a show where you will never understand the motivations for why many or most of the characters do outlandish mess, and you will NEVER understand why the people disappeared since Lindelof has explicitly said that like the book's author the show will never explain it. Too much spiritual/religious fantasy, too little sci-fi for me in that show.

Westworld is a show with mysteries that have answers. The Leftovers is for people who want mysteries without answers. The fantastic theme song for season two by cutie-pie singer Iris DeMent captures the idea of the show perfectly.

Why would she willingly go back to a place where she would surely be deactivated/killed for the havoc and death she left behind her?

I think it will most probably be associated with her greatest pain leading to self-awareness, which was the death of her child after being shot.

So if that is her greatest emotional connection with becoming sentient, Maeve probably can't fight her own programming/emotions.

I don't see how they can make Westworld season 2 better than season 1 with all the twists, turns, reverie :foryou: reveals.

In case anyone wasn't aware, the show was created and written by Jonathan Nolan, Christopher Nolan's little brother pictured at right below. Since he's said he's already mapped out at least three seasons of the show and is responsible for writing quality works like Memento, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, and The Dark Knight Rises, I've got faith in him. (worship)

Nolan-fiverek.jpg

It is, but it is painful to watch. So much misery heaped on these people.

I am all in for a free month. :) I will start watching it over the weekend. Do I have to watch the original movies? I never watched them either.

No, watching the movies is not required as this is a re-boot. While we know there is a very brief reference to the Yul Brenner robot in an episode (which might just be an homage), there is nothing strong to indicate that what happened in the Westworld movie (which was also a robot malfunction where the robot is out to kill the guests) is part of this timeline..unless the "incident" referenced in the past episode was not the delores slaughter of everything incident, but rather the yul brenner run amock incident. that is possible because i think they refer to the "incident" being 30 years ago and in the last episode Ford talks about his mistake being 35 years old...so did delores go nuts 35 years ago and then there was another "incident" 5 years after the park opened? If there was, why doesn't the Man in Black/William know about it? (Of course, did Yul become self aware or just went homicidal)

Of course, the way the show is going, it doesn't seem like that's going to have any relevance unless the Yul-bot gets re-booted. The androids are already in mid-rebellion. Unless Yul-bot is going to become their leader.