• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Westworld 2016
2 2

527 posts in this topic

So, Arnold decides to have Delores murder all the hosts and then him and then herself, in a effort to keep the park from opening? Then, Ford does the same, only with all of the board and guests and him, keeping the hosts alive? Is the idea that they can't reopen the park because everyone will now see it's too "dangerous"?

At first glance, I don't see much to the Escape programmed into Maeve, except to see whether her free will causes her to stay instead of escape. So maybe that's her freedom, to escape from the programmed escape?

My guesses are almost the same as yours, so yes, yes, and yes, but I lean towards Maeve deciding to stay as being programming since everything Bernard says was programmed did in fact happen.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Bernard says that she is to go into the city and then... he is interrupted by Maeve. He never says that she stays in Westworld. hm

Still, this picture, which shows Maeve's modified narrative programming, also seems to show that she was to escape and then go to the mainland. One question I have is what is meant by "Manipulate" between the escape and mainland narratives? It is a modification and not a narrative. Another oddity is that the words "OVERRIDE FUNCTION" are in all caps just below where it says MAINLAND INFILTRATION. It is not in all caps in the other narrative overrides. We cannot see that line completely so is it overriding the MAINLAND NARRATIVE, which had already overridden a previous narrative?

I'm hooked and I can't believe we have to wait until 2018. :pullhair:

166639.jpg.844f509504afbe629bdee1c3ab61b2bf.jpg

Here's a larger, clearer view of the code aside from Bernard's hand being in the way of some of it. Usually capital letters in programming languages don't mean anything particularly different from lowercase versions of the same statements unless it's a case-sensitive language, but impossible to say either way for whatever language this is.

main-qimg-058a65b23e33db225c66da34d37ec5f8?convert_to_webp=true

I imagine the truth about Maeve's choice depends upon Ford's purpose. What was that purpose?

The surface-level clues the show dropped were that Ford was trying to return Westworld's control to the hosts. However, that's not sustainably realistic. They can't procreate, they can't fix themselves, and since they just shot up a butt-ton of humans, people will absolutely, positively be coming to shut the place down. So was his purpose to reverse his earlier action of saving the park from Arnold's attempt to shut it down and fulfill his original purpose now? Or is it something else?

If his goal was to shut the park down, then it doesn't make sense to leave Maeve's will up to herself. Since she decided to stay in the park she will presumably get shut down along with the rest of the hosts. It also doesn't make sense for her to even choose to stay--she knows there will be retribution within the park for what she did, so choosing to stay means she's choosing to die.

sure they can. bernard or ford can program them to if nothing else. they are virtually immortal and they can make more of them.

How do we know they're immortal? They don't age, but they most likely break down. Even if Ford teaches them to procreate there aren't enough of them to survive the war Ford just started with humanity. His goal has to be something other than making Westworld an android-only park because that just doesn't seem sustainable given what happened in that finale. Fulfilling Arnold's goal of having the park shut down seems more likely, but since we know there's a second season, I suppose we know THAT'S not it, either. hm

This quote from Nolan in that article has me a bit puzzled:

we've left some questions on the table for the second season in terms of what Delos' actual agenda with the park. We know from Tessa Thompson's character, Charlotte Hale, that the theme park aspect of it is not the central moneymaker for them. Which, for us, mapped onto the slightly cynical moment we have in this age in which most of the services we avail ourselves online are free because the companies that are providing them are monetizing what we're doing in other ways that are less transparent. Hopefully many interesting questions left for the audience going forward, but hopefully a lot of satisfying ones answered.

I thought we learned that William/Man in Black was the head of Delos and that his agenda was to make the game more real by making the hosts sentient. But I suppose that's just his personal agenda and not the company's. So what is it? I'd guess it's also android sentience, possibly for the purpose of making them better servants/slaves to serve a wide range of purposes.

I imagine the truth about Maeve's choice depends upon Ford's purpose. What was that purpose?

The surface-level clues the show dropped were that Ford was trying to return Westworld's control to the hosts. However, that's not sustainably realistic. They can't procreate, they can't fix themselves, and since they just shot up a butt-ton of humans, people will absolutely, positively be coming to shut the place down. So was his purpose to reverse his earlier action of saving the park from Arnold's attempt to shut it down and fulfill his original purpose now? Or is it something else?

If his goal was to shut the park down, then it doesn't make sense to leave Maeve's will up to herself. Since she decided to stay in the park she will presumably get shut down along with the rest of the hosts. It also doesn't make sense for her to even choose to stay--she knows there will be retribution within the park for what she did, so choosing to stay means she's choosing to die.

From the screenshot, it looks like Arnold may have had something to do with this....

Actually I guess I know what you're thinking--it's the path to a source library listed in the code that reads "WW/libs/hidden/W.Arnold" in one line and a slight variant of that in another. Maybe, but not at all definitive. It crossed my mind when I first saw it, but as a software developer myself I'm well aware that code I write--or in this case folders I create--usually outlive me, which in most people's cases means that it outlives my stay with a company, not my lifespan as is the case here with Arnold. The fact that it's in folders with his name on it does strongly suggest it's experimental/temporary code that Arnold himself started, and yes, possibly programmed as we see here in that finale, but if he did it, you'd have to think he's still alive--either in body or embedded in Bernard's consciousness. But Ford may have discovered code from Arnold in those folders, edited it, and just left it in the same folders he found it.

Did they ever identify any programmers at Westworld other than Ford and Bernard/Arnold? I don't recall any. Or did Bernard refer to "his team" a few times? I can't remember now.

Quick question--that folder name in the code says W.Arnold. Did we ever hear Arnold's full name? I don't even know if it's his first or last name since it's commonly used as either, although I assume it's a last name since they usually referred to each other formally with last names in the show since they were all professional colleagues. I definitely don't remember hearing what his first name was and if it started with a W.

sure they can. bernard or ford can program them to if nothing else. they are virtually immortal and they can make more of them.

How do we know they're immortal? They don't age, but they most likely break down. Even if Ford teaches them to procreate there aren't enough of them to survive the war Ford just started with humanity. His goal has to be something other than making Westworld an android-only park because that just doesn't seem sustainable given what happened in that finale. Fulfilling Arnold's goal of having the park shut down seems more likely, but since we know there's a second season, I suppose we know THAT'S not it, either. hm

if they break down they can get fixed. they can get a new body. their consciousness can be downloaded into a new cerebral unit if that one wears out. that makes them immortal (not indestructable, although if their consciousness can be put in a "cloud"...)

and if they get out of the park it will be really hard for humanity to hunt them down (well, we went through this with blade runner). as we saw they are way better at killing than the guards WW has around. perfect shots, instant reactions.

anyway, delores is hinting at that when she has TMIB in a chokehold..how time whithers people, etc.

Did they ever identify any programmers at Westworld other than Ford and Bernard/Arnold? I don't recall any. Or did Bernard refer to "his team" a few times? I can't remember now.

Pretty sure bernard has a team, plus the repair guys refer to the programmers. wasn't elsie a programmer too?

Westworld Proves That TV Has Surpassed Movies

Big Name Talents

westworld-cast-and-characters-movie-stars-215383.jpg

Cinematic Scope

westworld-tv-series-movie-budget--215384.jpg

Literary Depth

The final piece of this maze is the story itself: Westworld used reverse perspective (flipping the -script of the original movie and making the hosts protagonists); non-linear narrative (jumping between two time periods); mystery, metaphor, symbolism and motif to create a story that's more 'high art' than most cinematic works of today.

In fact, Westworld's layered and detailed narrative is positively literary in its depth characterization, only further proving the idea of "inferior stories" being told on TV is long gone.

westworld-season-finale-j-j-abrams-214901.jpeg

There's really nothing to debate anymore:

- TV is just as cinematic as movies in terms of production and display.

- TV is telling more rich and intelligent stories than a lot of films.

- The segregation of talent that kept us headed out to cinemas to see "movie stars" is gone. With top-tier talent not just accepting TV but seeking it out for its greener creative pastures, movies' biggest trump card is no longer in hand.