• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,663 posts in this topic

41 minutes in and not a word about DKR. This podcast is a let down :baiting:

The early Boris Vallejo shout-out made up for it, though. :devil:

Great episode, really enjoyed this one! Except for the bagging on (accelerated) price discovery, which I think continues to be highly misunderstood (though, I like that a "Gene" reference seems to pop up in these podcasts almost as often as DKR references lol ).

One comment on aesthetics vs. nostalgia - it seems to me (and kind of is alluded to by Scott himself in the podcast), that Scott puts aesthetics first, BUT within his own personal band of nostalgia (which seems to be primarily late '60s to late '80s). Because surely there is a lot to appreciate aesthetically, especially from an artist's/inker's perspective, from earlier work that I don't recall being represented in Scott's collection. I'm thinking artists like Foster, Raymond, Fine, Raboy, Wood, Williamson, etc. - all unquestionably "artist's artists" from an earlier era. If it really was all about aesthetics uber alles, surely anyone would put some of these artists before, say, Buscema/Palmer (as good as that combination was).

At the end of the day, I really do believe that nostalgia plays a larger role than many believe. Even people who now collect things that they didn't grow up with (e.g., Golden Age comics or Modern OA, when they grew up with, say, Strikeforce: Morituri and Power Pack and Alpha Flight) - they may have evolved from what they first read and collected, but I think the thrill of discovery and appreciation of the medium all harkens back to memories/feelings/emotions that were cultivated in those early days, and that, in the end, it's STILL about nostalgia, even when it doesn't necessarily look like it on the surface. Just my 2c

As you mention Gene, I do not deny the importance of nostalgia in making art buying decisions, but aesthetics take the poll position (for me). Indeed, most of the art I have target both things, BUT I have gone after some non nostalgia art numerous times. I've taken a swing at guys like Wood, Davis, and Eisner several times, and missed through bad luck, bad timing or simply being outbid. I did have a nice Jack Davis EC war story splash for years (a story I'd never read or even seen in print), but recently sold at auction. I'm surprised I don't have an Eisner Spirit page at this point because I love the art, but have zero nostalgia attached to it. Same could be said for late 30's/early 40's Raymond, but unlike Eisner, the prices are now out of sight.

So yes, given a choice between great art with a nostalgic attachment, and great art with no nostalgia but all else being equal, I'd choose the former most times. But not EVERY time.

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

BUT I have gone after some non nostalgia art numerous times.

Scott

Well, I think what he's getting at is that even your love of the older artists started with your appreciation for Adams et al., and that without those formative experiences you'd not collect comic art now (nor work in it!)... and that in that sense, its all "nostalgia art".

I.e. what happens when generations turn over being the question he is kind of asking and answering.

To put it another way, you aren't going to go and collect ancient pottery, or tapestries, or landscapes from the 1800s.

To the young 'Scott Williams' who is 12 years old in 2017, comic art might as well seem like landscapes from the 1800s.

That said, I'm sure things will chug along for a good while. What happens one day I'm not going to obsess over. 2c

I don't want to start another new thread just to say this, but can we just give another shout out to Felix for all that he is doing as a rep. Never mind all the questions he answers, the extras he provides, the great pricing representation and commission availability. What about just the little things that go ignored by a lot of other dealers/reps?

Case in point, I just received a Christmas card from Felix. A handwritten card. The dude has a family, hundreds of customers, business interests, and yet he still took the time to do holiday cards for the business. Props!

I just wish a number of other dealers/reps would follow suit in at least being as prompt at answering questions and shipping as quickly as Felix does. Sometimes you spend thousands with a rep of a prominent modern artist and yet are still left scratching your head at how you can't get a simple e-mail response from them after all that patronage.

Hats off to Felix for his tireless work in promoting the hobby and making it more accessible than ever to new collectors!

I agree. Felix has always been approachable in the hobby and is really easy to work with on purchases.

Plus the podcasts are always fun to listen to since it gives me a different incite into this hobby of ours.

Keep them up Felix.

Also, good job Scott. I could have listened to even more about your career and deciding factors in your purchases at the time.

The Felix Comic Art Podcast returns to Seattle, WA for Emerald City Comic Con and our second annual ECCC roundtable!:

http://felixcomicart.libsyn.com/

First, we meet up once again with Andy Robbins to catch up. Andy then joins me as we welcome returning guest John Butler, as well as new guests Jim Reid and Kelvin Mao! Listen in as these long-time collectors pass along hard-earned hobby wisdom, share stories of collecting triumphs and disasters, and just plain talk comic art. If you liked our last ECCC roundtable, you're gonna love this one!

Andy also does a show-and-tell video, which you can check out on our YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/felixcomicart

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. This month, we're holding a benefit sale for the A.C.L.U., with over 20 new, never-before-offered pieces from Felix Comic Art artists. Included are special pieces by Cliff Chiang, Stephen Green, James Jean, Daniel Warren Johnson, Paul Pope, and so many more. Go to our website, www.felixcomicart.com, and sign up for the newsletter to find out when the sale goes live. Thanks, and enjoy the show!

MarkSchultzMastermindofMars.jpg

WATCHMEN12p24.jpg

After all this talk about the "Andy Robbins Technique", I now consider Andy Robbins to be the Tony Robbins of the comic art world.  "Transform your collection and accelerate your path to collecting freedom!  No matter your budget, your stage of collecting, or when you started, Andy will provide you the tools to help you optimize your collection more rapidly than you ever thought possible!"

I loved the new podcast, thanks a lot!  It's always good stuff.
The Kirby piece in the show-and-tell video is magnificent; a true representation of everything that is great about Kirby.  I would love to see it in person.  What a treat that would be.

Listening to the podcast and looking at the Kirby piece got me thinking about something I've considered before:
Is a piece like this really comic book art or is it art by a comic book artist?
Is there a difference; could there be a difference?  Does the term 'comic book art' refer to a genre and style, or does the term imply usage and application?
Re: True or False - "comic book art is a drawing or drawings intended to be used to create a comic book, published or unpublished.  Then there is comic book related art."

Please forgive me if it appears that I am splitting hairs, but in talking about the hobby sometimes splitting hairs may be a natural extension of the conversation.
Anyways, thanks again for your hard work, and I hope part of the reason you do these podcasts is to share knowledge about the hobby and give folks food for thought.  Hence my post.  :)

I view that piece as an illustration. Comic book art needs to be sequential art, right? The second Kirby piece - I assume you're talking about the second one, the Lord of Light one - was a design piece for a movie that was never made. Based off of my favorite Zelazny novel in fact.

Felix,

Another fun and informative podcast. Really liked hearing from Jim Reid he is someone I always see at conventions and love to see what he what he has picked up. Would have loved to hear more from Jim and Kelvin.

On 3/10/2017 at 10:52 AM, delekkerste said:

After all this talk about the "Andy Robbins Technique", I now consider Andy Robbins to be the Tony Robbins of the comic art world.  "Transform your collection and accelerate your path to collecting freedom!  No matter your budget, your stage of collecting, or when you started, Andy will provide you the tools to help you optimize your collection more rapidly than you ever thought possible!"

I'd like to transform my bank account to his...

andy

Edited by Cleangone
sig

21 hours ago, Unca Ben said:

Listening to the podcast and looking at the Kirby piece got me thinking about something I've considered before:
Is there a difference; could there be a difference?  Does the term 'comic book art' refer to a genre and style, or does the term imply usage and application?
Re: True or False - "comic book art is a drawing or drawings intended to be used to create a comic book, published or unpublished.  Then there is comic book related art."

Interesting question - one I had never thought of.   It applies to a Wrightson Frankenstein plate as well, and those are generally considered the peak of Bernie's career.  So to answer your question, I'd say applying "comic art" to only to pieces that were created for a comic is unnecessarily restrictive.

Either that or it's accurate and Glen Gold needs to sell the Dream Machine Kirby painting to me because he is a comic art collector and I am a comic-related art collector.

andy

On 3/10/2017 at 10:52 AM, delekkerste said:

I'm pretty sure "Gene" comes up more often than the "Andy Robbins Method";)

Nothing beats DKR, though. And I don't even have to bring it up myself anymore!

On 3/10/2017 at 8:24 PM, Unca Ben said:

I loved the new podcast, thanks a lot!  It's always good stuff.
The Kirby piece in the show-and-tell video is magnificent; a true representation of everything that is great about Kirby.  I would love to see it in person.  What a treat that would be.

Please forgive me if it appears that I am splitting hairs, but in talking about the hobby sometimes splitting hairs may be a natural extension of the conversation.
Anyways, thanks again for your hard work, and I hope part of the reason you do these podcasts is to share knowledge about the hobby and give folks food for thought.  Hence my post.  :)

Of all the collectors I know, Andy might be the most willing to share his art with other collectors. I've seen him bring art to conventions to show specific fans who wanted to see it. It's not gonna happen with the Kirby piece, though. Just too big. Maybe someday it'll be in an exhibit somewhere and people will have a chance to see it in person. It really is spectacular.

Yeah, strictly speaking, not comic art. But it's still comic art-related, and thus, still relevant to our hobby.

And yes, that's part of the reason I do the podcast. It's not for the pay!:P Biggest reason, though, is that it's fun to talk about the hobby with friends and fellow enthusiasts. Glad you're enjoying it, thanks for listening!