• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Because only one opinion is allowed here....

The board exists because like-minded people have a passion and love for something. If someone doesn't...why are they here? Specifically, why are they posting in here?

I'm glad the haters are in the very, very, very, VERY small minority on this film. I haven't expressed my thoughts on it yet, but I was pretty emotional throughout for reasons even I didn't expect.

I dont mind hearing from all perspectives on the movie, but just wanton hate with no thought behind it doesnt do much good for conversation. If you didnt like it talk about why rather than just comparing it to a range of animal excrement.

The poster gave, I thought, a reasonable explanation for his opinion, not wanton hate. One can have a passion for something in general, but not necessarily like every particular example of it...

Agreed. The negative opinions I've seen so far have been pretty reasonable with some valid points that, while you certainly don't have to agree with, are certainly worth discussing.

The board exists because like-minded people have a passion and love for something. If someone doesn't...why are they here? Specifically, why are they posting in here?

I'm glad the haters are in the very, very, very, VERY small minority on this film. I haven't expressed my thoughts on it yet, but I was pretty emotional throughout for reasons even I didn't expect.

I dont mind hearing from all perspectives on the movie, but just wanton hate with no thought behind it doesnt do much good for conversation. If you didnt like it talk about why rather than just comparing it to a range of animal excrement.

The poster gave, I thought, a reasonable explanation for his opinion, not wanton hate. One can have a passion for something in general, but not necessarily like every particular example of it...

I gave my opinion. I thought I at least followed it up with some substance.

I love Star Wars as much as anybody. I've written books on the subject and looking at the price they are asking on Amazon my book has become a little bit of a collectors item itself

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1896522386/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1450549834&sr=8-1&keywords=irwin+toys+the+canadian+star+wars+connection

It's just not what I wanted and hoped it would be. And it's not like I'm trying to be revisionist and want my youth back because I loved Phantom Menace and that gave me goosebumps from front to back (yes Jar Jar sucked) but there wasn't a Duel of the Fates scene in this movie. Not a new piece of music that fits in with the with the rest of the SW movie, or even that legendary scene itself.

I compared it to Crystal Skull last night, yes they kept calling him Indiana Jones, just like they kept calling him Han, but it was no Raiders, Last Crusade, New Hope, ESB or Jedi.

I won't ruin this thread again. :sorry:

Jim

How is this a remake of episode 4 in any way? 2 totally different situations if Rey is Luke's daughter or Ren's sister. Luke/Leia were hidden so their father had no idea they were even born. If Rey is Kylo's sister or even niece he would know about it and is looking for Luke not Rey.

I see why people think Luke dropped her off but to me that makes no sense. He's the most powerful right now and only went into hiding because he was so distraught over the betrayal. Safest place for his own daughter or even his niece is with him. If anything I should think he doesn't even know it is his daughter so that would be kinda like episode 4 and they were hiding her until Luke comes back?

You just know they are having a laugh at this one with everyone trying to figure out wtf's daughter she is lol

It wasn't a straight remake, but was structurally very similar and had many shared elements.

I gave my opinion. I thought I at least followed it up with some substance.

I love Star Wars as much as anybody. I've written books on the subject and looking at the price they are asking on Amazon my book has become a little bit of a collectors item itself

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1896522386/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1450549834&sr=8-1&keywords=irwin+toys+the+canadian+star+wars+connection

Seeing as when the 10,000 copies were printed and published in 2000 it had a price tag of $19.95

It's just not what I wanted and hoped it would be. And it's not like I'm trying to be revisionist and want my youth back because I loved Phantom Menace and that gave me goosebumps from front to back (yes Jar Jar sucked) but there wasn't a Duel of the Fates scene in this movie. Not a new piece of music that fits in with the with the rest of the SW movie, or even that legendary scene itself.

I compared it to Crystal Skull last night, yes they kept calling him Indiana Jones, just like they kept calling him Han, but it was no Raiders, Last Crusade, New Hope, ESB or Jedi.

Jim

Did anyone else cringe when they went into that bar at the castle? Basically an unneeded Cantina rip-off.

Another part that bugged me and didn't "feel like Star Wars", was the big monsters in the cargo ship with Han and the pirates. I felt like they could have chopped that whole scene out, or handled it better.

I liked the sequence, but those cargo ship monsters weren't so great.

That bad CG really stood out. One of my least favorite parts. And I'm not one of those people who are so against the use of it either.

Did anyone else cringe when they went into that bar at the castle? Basically an unneeded Cantina rip-off.

Another part that bugged me and didn't "feel like Star Wars", was the big monsters in the cargo ship with Han and the pirates. I felt like they could have chopped that whole scene out, or handled it better.

Just like when they entered Jabbas palace

Or in Ep II when they went in the club.

And the cargo monsters were fun.

This is what I'm seeing some say. It's either too much like Star Wars or not like Star Wars.

What I saw was a fun movie with some old characters I know and some new I now want to see more of.

I saw a BIG block buster with adventure and drama. So much fun that was missing from the prequels.

I saw a new franchise in the making that I will be lined up to see with each new movie.

And maybe i'll be around when Adam driver is Harrison fords age and makes just one more before he's done with the Star Wars universes and a new generation gets to see a whole new set of Star Wars something ( movies might be something else by then. )

Jim

Hey Jim, I went back and reread your post. I over reacted. You're right you did give substance to your opinion, I just lumped you in with the part of the internet trying to hard to be cool and hate on something that's widely loved (and it's a vocal part right now with SW:TFA)

I get your points, the extensive parallels could certainly leave viewers with a "been there done that" feeling, which makes it impossible to create an emotional tie and thus no reaction to big moments (like Han).

One counter to one of your points: How can Finn and Rey both be "suddenly" adept at Saber fighting?

I think JJ intentionally included the scene of Finn fighting the 1st Order trooper who had the stun stick. The trooper used moves similar to saber fighting techniques, and Finn fought him off using the saber. This makes me assume that the Storm Troopers were trained in a technique that could be applied to saber use.

Rey had the whole Force thing going to start (which helped), and I think if my theory is right she was being Jedi trained as a child which would have included saber skills. Plus she already showed her staff skills on her planet a few times. Also Kylo was injured once he started fighting Rey, so his greater skills were diminished at that point.

Did you not see the Finn/Ren/Rey fight as Episode VII's version of the "Duel of the Fates"?

I was commenting somewhere earlier that I always found the prequil saber fights came across far to choreographed, while the Ren/Rey fight seemed more organic and raw, but that's just my opinion.

That bad CG really stood out. One of my least favorite parts. And I'm not one of those people who are so against the use of it either.

Im trying to remember the point of that scene...

how did it progress the plot?

-Chewy got hurt so it gave Rey a chance to help fly the Falcon

-I dont think it did anything to progress Rey and Finn's relationship

-It let someone alert the First Order about the droid/girl

but besides that? yeah it was the weakest CGI of the movie

Quick question for the gurus: so the new bad guys are not Sith ? I thought only Sith and Jedi had the rundown on the Force.

Also, why do the bad guys keep building Death Stars with a single point of failure ? :facepalm: I'd like to see them win for a change.

Again, WHY? Why drop her off at a hostile desert to fend for herself while Leia hangs out running the Resistance and Han is busy being a pirate? The fact that Ben turned is not enough to explain it. It DOES make sense why Luke would push her away.

I just think Luke having a kid is kinda lame.

Who did he bang? (shrug)

Mara Jade. GOTTA be, also explains why she is such an accomplished smuggler/techie.

That would be so incredible. I am leaning more towards Rey being a nobody who turns into somebody. And Luke dropped her off at Jakku to protect her from Kylo and the Knights. Maybe Rey was a student of Luke's cause he felt she was a very strong Force sensitive, and to protect her he fled and hid her. I like that better but anyways it goes is fine with me. I can't wait to see it again tonight. :whee:

He couldn't have found a nicer place to hide her? Nice guy...

Maybe he left her there....with an old guy with a white beard to look out for her. :eek:

Max Von Sydow's character. He had the last piece of the map, and he and Kylo Ren knew each other from the past.

Which leads credence to the thought that Luke dropped Rey off there. Dropped her off, gave him the map and instructions.

I would be more than a little peeved if I were Rey if true. Especially when the freedom Luke fought for, i.e. the Republic, undoubtedly has nicer places for her than Jakku. It's one thing to challenge her; it's an entirely different matter to dump her in a mess hole.

It amazes me that the premiere special effects company, ILM, didn't do a better job. I myself didn't notice, but I keep hearing this from others.

Was it bad CGI or just a strange creature? I thought strange creature during that scene.

It amazes me that the premiere special effects company, ILM, didn't do a better job. I myself didn't notice, but I keep hearing this from others.

There was CG everywhere. Or was there ??? I thought the effects were amazing.

I saw it in 3d also. Maybe that makes some difference. 3d always looks a little different with movies.

Quick question for the gurus: so the new bad guys are not Sith ? I thought only Sith and Jedi had the rundown on the Force.

Also, why do the bad guys keep building Death Stars with a single point of failure ? :facepalm: I'd like to see them win for a change.

We don't really know what they are yet. Snoke is believed to not be Sith, but next to nothing is known about him (not even sure it is a him) yet. Kylo MIGHT be Sith but he is most defiantly not a Sith Lord yet. The Superweapon in TFA did not have a singular failure point. It had a regulator needed for channeling and holding the Sun's energy before firing it. When the regulator was destroyed (that's what Han blew up, not a shield generator, Phasma took the shields down) the energy from the Sun could not be contained and blew the planet up. This is different from the Death Star where firing a single torpedo into an exhaust shaft blew up the whole thing. Interestingly, several people I have been talking with have discussed that the design of their Superweapon is similar in design to a Jedi lightsaber (in that the regulator allows the Kyber Crystal to turn into a light saber) and are wondering if they are going to go in that direction.

We don't really know what they are yet. Snoke is believed to not be Sith, but next to nothing is known about him (not even sure it is a him) yet. Kylo MIGHT be Sith but he is most defiantly not a Sith Lord yet. The Superweapon in TFA did not have a singular failure point. It had a regulator needed for channeling and holding the Sun's energy before firing it. When the regulator was destroyed (that's what Han blew up, not a shield generator, Phasma took the shields down) the energy from the Sun could not be contained and blew the planet up. This is different from the Death Star where firing a single torpedo into an exhaust shaft blew up the whole thing. Interestingly, several people I have been talking with have discussed that the design of their Superweapon is similar in design to a Jedi lightsaber (in that the regulator allows the Kyber Crystal to turn into a light saber) and are wondering if they are going to go in that direction.

Very good points Jay.

Gotham Kid, lots of species in the Star Wars world are force sensitive they just may not be Jedi or Sith. Just like Mas Amedda, the one who wanted Rey to have the saber, mentioned she was Force sensitive but she was a good person. Snoke may have knowledge of the Force and a Force sensitive but he may only be using it for Evil.