• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

Rey is related to the Skywalker crew... this was hinted early on by the newly recorded narration in one of the trailers.

"The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power too."

Why did he say "My father has it"? His father is dead... right?

Is he still in contact with a ghost 30 years after Vader's death?

It says that because it's a direct lift from Return of the Jedi. It's not a new recording.

These movies introduced new blood into the franchise and getting away from the legacy of Skywalker would be an important step in that direction.

Kathleen Kennedy has reiterated that the Star Wars saga movies are and will be about a family, the Skywalkers. The Anthology movies will be used to explore other corners of the universe.

If Rey turns out to be a Skywalker, that would be a huge disappointment. That is the obvious path for the character.

she is luke's daughter.

She is Luke's daughter.
Luke is Jedi. I thought their Order doesn't allow for wives/kids? (shrug) (Anakin being the rule-breaker, keeping it a secret, and all that.)

Anyway, I'm going with her being Hans/Leia's daughter. A Skywalker on her mother's side, the stashed-away twin sister.

In my mind the movie ended with Luke having to face risking his niece after already losing his nephew to the Dark Side. Will he mentor her too or refuse? There she is right in front of him, Sabre in hand, tears in her eyes, pleading...

She is Luke's daughter.
Luke is Jedi. I thought their Order doesn't allow for wives/kids? (shrug) (Anakin being the rule-breaker, keeping it a secret, and all that.)

Anyway, I'm going with her being Hans/Leia's daughter. A Skywalker on her mother's side, the stashed-away twin sister.

In my mind the movie ended with Luke having to face risking his niece after already losing his nephew to the Dark Side. Will he mentor her too or refuse? There she is right in front of him, Sabre in hand, tears in her eyes, pleading...

As noted above, we don't know if Luke kept to the rules of the old Jedi, a corroded organization that failed and was destroyed. We DO know he went off -script from what Ben and Yoda thought he would do, he embraced his attachments and loves and redeemed his father with them, and not killing him, He stayed to fight Vader after he threatened Leia, also something a Jedi shouldn't do. Luke's emotions were his power.

The Jedi, if the prequels showed us anything, was an organization in desperate need of evaluation and evolution. I mean, and half jokingly... they couldn't come off some change to buy Anakin's mom her freedom and get her a condo? For the Chosen One's mother? They couldn't wire that money? Knowing he was kind of an emotional dude? The Jedi were kind of ineffectual individual_without_enough_empathys throughout the prequels.

In many ways Luke superceeded Yoda and Ben. I know it's all happy force ghosts in RotJ but Luke took a different path to get done what he had to get done. He was what's next, not the a continuation IMHO.

Th EU is not canon anymore but it's riddled with Jedi who have children, including Luke.

Th EU is not canon anymore but it's riddled with Jedi who have children, including Luke.
Having only seen the movie once and not being up on Jedi canon I'll say this...

If she is his daughter, Luke had a very unemotional cold response. He didn't go to her. He didn't hug her. All he did was stand there and look at her. While she was practically in tears, her whole being begging for his aid.

If she's his daughter Luke has bigger issues than failing his nephew's training. imho.

Having only seen the movie once and not being up on Jedi canon I'll say this...

If she is his daughter, Luke had a very unemotional cold response. He didn't go to her. He didn't hug her. All he did was stand there and look at her. While she was practically in tears, her whole being begging for his aid.

If she's his daughter Luke has bigger issues than failing his nephew's training. imho.

Well so far he is doing better (if he is her father) than in the old EU. In the EU he apprenticed his son (named Ben) to Jacen Solo, who'd later become a Dark Lord lol

and kill his wife.

I loved Jacen Solo as a character tho.

Just saw it this afternoon. Still catching up to this thread but has it been mentioned that maybe the grave is Rey's mother, who also was a Jedi that Luke was training?

I thought that two Jedi's would give birth to an extra powerful Jedi

I know that last sentence sounds silly

Rey is Luke's daughter. It was unintentionally (prematurely) confirmed in the Disney Infinity game. Ben yells at her, "Come and face me, cousin!"

Again, this was misreported at first and people ran with it. It says curses not cousin.

Rey is Luke's daughter. It was unintentionally (prematurely) confirmed in the Disney Infinity game. Ben yells at her, "Come and face me, cousin!"

Again, this was misreported at first and people ran with it. It says curses not cousin.

Jay speaks the truth. The video in question has him being hit at he says "Come and face me." When he gets hit he says, "Curses". The two sound files overlapped and people are hearing what they want to hear.

With that said, based upon the evidence of the concept art of a Dark Side Anakin appearing to Kylo Ren and a Light Side Anakin appearing to others along with all other character and plot developments in the released film, I say that Rey is Luke's daughter.

Just got back from seeing it this afternoon with my two grandsons. We all enjoyed it and thought the 3D was pretty cool. Seeing their reactions was priceless to me and made for a very memorable movie. But now to my personal critiques. :eek: it seemed at times that it was the original movie all over again. From important info stashed in a droid, young hero longing for adventure, cantina scene (half expected that familiar tune when they entered), and Deathstar like weapon. Still great eye/imagination candy and made me smile throughout, even through the predictable scenes.

Is there a reason Snoke's left ear is damaged in the same spot Vader's helmet is damaged?

He also seems to share a scar along the forehead in the same spot.

Coincidence. I can't think of any reason to associate Anakin's cremation with Snoke.

Allow me to float this theory:

Rey is another virginal birth from the force (like Anakin)

Most assume Snoke is Darth Plagueis and so do I. Palpatine confided to Anakin that Plagueis had the ability to cheat death and create life using the force. If Snoke is truely back from the dead then Palpatine already alluded to him able to come back so this makes some sense. Now perhaps Plaguies wanted to create the perfect apprentice the same way Palpatine/Plagueis manipulated the FORCE and midi-chlorians to birth Anakin.

Rey's awakening and ease to which she 'takes' to the FORCE is obviously very powerful and probably on par or exceeding Anakin/Luke. We assumed she is Luke's daughter because of this. But maybe she isn't really from the Skywalker lineage but created the same way that allowed Anakin to become of the most powerful FORCE adapt in Jedi history. Maybe Plagueis this time around played with the recipe to create Rey into something even more powerful...

Since Luke begins to train Jedi again the return of Plagueis probably, conveniently, happens about the same time (and after Sidious is dead). Plagueis sees the beginning rebirth of the Jedi order and possibly subverts a young Ben Solo as a tool to wipe out the new Jedi. When Luke realizes that a new Sith Lord is working behind the scenes he also discovers the birth of Rey.

I would suggest Kylo/Ben made his move and killed all the young Jedi padawans. This left Luke realing and treading close to looking for revenge.

Perhaps Plagueis is already training Rey as an apprectice but Luke kidnaps Rey as a child to keep her away from Plagueis. Luke maybe even intends to kill her knowing how powerful a foe she can become and hurt Plagueis indirectly. But since she is very young and still an innocent in Luke's eyes, he abandons her somewhere (Jakku) Plagueis can't find her. Also killing her would probably have Luke heading toward the dark side which is probably something he will always struggle with. But she is watched from a distance by Lor San Tekka who reports to Luke on her 'progress'. Luke then disappears to find the lost Jedi temple, contemplate his failures and presumably find a way to defeat Plagueis.

I saw this hypothesis several times over the holidays. It does compellingly tie everything together if it turns out to be true. hm

My only concern is Abrams' pedigree, which includes Lost, where we all thought everything was mapped out and would all eventually click together, and almost none of it did. But it should be far easier to accomplish here.

Everything WAS mapped out before season 1 started; they learned not to repeat Chris Carter's mistake of not doing that after "The X-Files" fell apart. But Lindelof never intended for it to "click together" the way most people wanted it to. His style of storytelling is to leave lots of questions either unanswered or with multiple possible answers.

As others pointed out, the mysterious aspects of "Lost" were all due to Damon Lindelof, not Abrams. I've seen no indication from his past works that Abrams tells stories anything like Lindelof does.

My only concern is Abrams' pedigree, which includes Lost, where we all thought everything was mapped out and would all eventually click together, and almost none of it did. But it should be far easier to accomplish here.

Everything WAS mapped out before season 1 started; they learned not to repeat Chris Carter's mistake of not doing that after "The X-Files" fell apart. But Lindelof never intended for it to "click together" the way most people wanted it to. His style of storytelling is to leave lots of questions either unanswered or with multiple possible answers.

Interesting, because my observation would be that it did kind of fall apart like the X-Files did, narrative wise. I still thought the individual episodes were solid and compelling, though the core big picture narrative never locked together as you say. If the intent was never to really introduce pieces that were part of a whole, that seems more like just a convenient narrative device rather than a strategy.

Anyhoo, this thread is about Star Wars, and it's far easier to "lock together" a movie rather than a sprawling tv series.

Interesting, because my observation would be that it did kind of fall apart like the X-Files did, narrative wise. I still thought the individual episodes were solid and compelling, though the core big picture narrative never locked together as you say. If the intent was never to really introduce pieces that were part of a whole, that seems more like just a convenient narrative device rather than a strategy.

Lindelof has repeated the style in every subsequent work he's had primary writing or production control over including the Alien prequel "Prometheus" and "The Leftovers" series on HBO, and most fans tend to hate that style for the same reasons you appear to dislike "Lost." It isn't convenient, he just thinks mysteries without definitive explanations are interesting. Many fans agree, but I'd agree with you that most don't.

We'll get our answers in Star Wars I'm sure. :wishluck: The mysterious story style usually frustrates me as well unless it's particularly well done. I liked it in "Prometheus" because I liked the panspermia story idea and the missing answers were there if you looked hard enough, but I wasn't a fan of it in "Lost" or "The Leftovers" because they wrapped religion and/or fantasy into the mystery. Fantasy is mixed into the mystery behind the idea of the Force in Star Wars, but I've never been bugged by it enough for it to make me dislike it.

I'm beginning to doubt that Rey is Luke's daughter. Watched the movie again last night. In the scene in Mas's bar she talks to to Rey and says something along the lines of you know the people you are waiting aren't coming, search your feelings you know it to be true, but another may still come and her reply is Luke. Also I don't think she saw her past, because the last scene she sees Kylo getting ready to face her in the Forrest on star killer base. So I think it was her seeing the past and future through the force.