• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Comiclink auction thread, post 'em if you got 'em

1,141 posts in this topic

Well personally speaking, just about all my books sold for way under GPA. In hindsight I should have sold my books on eBay or even here.

Basically everything I sell on CLink goes for 80% of GPA. This auction will not be the exception. I use them because it's easy. Results on here and eBay are almost always better, but I just don't have the time to list and ship all of the slabs I get back.

Send me a list of books you plan on sending in next time and I may grab a bunch for 20% off of GPA which will save you the ComicLink fees! I'll even pay for shipping.

Might do that.

Times and the market have apparently changed a bit since the days when Comiclink was considered THE place to sell books for prices that suggested the buyers were drinking from spiked Kool-Aid.

I've only sold books once on the Link by auction, and it was several years ago. It was for a complete run of a SA Marvel title all in high grade. Selling a run seems to attract buyers and help trigger the competitive buying frenzy that makes certain books sell for GPA record prices. It helps, too, when the run hasn't been offered in high grade for a while on the market. The run as a whole sold for 50% above (the conservative) pre-auction estimate.

Now, my impression is the Link is a great site for SA and BA buyers. I do still from time to time sell a book for a decent price on their Exchange.

Times and the market have apparently changed a bit since the days when Comiclink was considered THE place to sell books for prices that suggested the buyers were drinking from spiked Kool-Aid.

I've only sold books once on the Link by auction, and it was several years ago. It was for a complete run of a SA Marvel title all in high grade. Selling a run seems to attract buyers and help trigger the competitive buying frenzy that makes certain books sell for GPA record prices. It helps, too, when the run hasn't been offered in high grade for a while on the market. The run as a whole sold for 50% above (the conservative) pre-auction estimate.

Now, my impression is the Link is a great site for SA and BA buyers. I do still from time to time sell a book for a decent price on their Exchange.

I think CLink is a great place to move hard to find highest graded copies especially if you get in their Featured Auctions. I've stopped selling on CLink since me last few batches of books were a blood letting and I pretty much gave away books after grading fees and CLink fees. As October said its an easy method to clear out a ton of slabs all at once and CLink is fairly easy to deal with but selling books for 20-25% under GPA has to be the last sales option for me for me to go that route.

Now from a buying stand points its been a great place to get key books for 10-20% under GPA which isn't always easy to do.

But is this Clink as a venue or is it the overall market? Run books have been cheap and seemingly getting cheaper (which is what I attribute my winning bid on that Avengers #18 to), so it shouldn't be a surprise that a lot of non-keys in common grades (which, lets face it, is what the focused auctions typically are) should sell off cheap. If better books start to sell off at 20% of GPA routinely, and only on Clink auctions, then that is a Clink problem.

Won 3 books and was second bidder on 8 books. I usually max out my bids at abut 20% off of GPA so if I win its definitely not a good thing for the seller.

Doctor%20Strange%201%20CGC_zpsvie4zaqr.jpg

Fantastic%20FOur%2045%20CGC_zpsba1smbqm.jpg

SPiderman%2019_zpsuivkwhbi.jpg

I'll take the other side of that bet. Whether the prices realized is a good or bad thing for the seller is simply a matter of perspective. If the consignor was the original owner (or their heirs) the Amazing Spiderman 19 which conservatively netted the seller $500 has made a compounded 17.38 percent annual return since it was published in 1964. The Dr. Strange from 1974 assuming the seller netted $46 after fees has a 13.22 percent compounded annual return. Finally the ff 45 from 1965 and assuming a net price of 200 has a 15.66 percent compounded annual return. These returns, while exceptional, are a fraction of what super high grade copies would bring. To give some perspective $1 (or the cost of 4 Dr. Strange 1's) invested in the S&P 500 in 1974 was worth $75 at the end of 2015. That's 1 CGC 8.5 reader Dr. Strange 1 and 3 CGC 9.8 copies worth GPA $650 each!

Can't seem to get anything this auction. Weird. Not my favorite selection ever...but, some of the prices on my targeted books have really gone north of where I expected. I think I smell tax refund season...

But is this Clink as a venue or is it the overall market? Run books have been cheap and seemingly getting cheaper (which is what I attribute my winning bid on that Avengers #18 to), so it shouldn't be a surprise that a lot of non-keys in common grades (which, lets face it, is what the focused auctions typically are) should sell off cheap. If better books start to sell off at 20% of GPA routinely, and only on Clink auctions, then that is a Clink problem.

I think we are in a market correction period. Imo it has already started and will continue for some time. The growth has just been insane for a very long period of time.

I do think certain keys and books fueled by movie speculation will continue to be red hot for the immediate future. Minor keys and run books seem to have really cooled off.

I am just seeing a buyers market for a lot of books since i started really paying attention again last december. I am not basing this off a lot of hard data just my observations of prices realized @ auction compared to GPA stats without making a major project out of it.

I think we are in a market correction period. Imo it has already started and will continue for some time. The growth has just been insane for a very long period of time.

I do think certain keys and books fueled by movie speculation will continue to be red hot for the immediate future. Minor keys and run books seem to have really cooled off.

I am just seeing a buyers market for a lot of books since i started really paying attention again last december. I am not basing this off a lot of hard data just my observations of prices realized @ auction compared to GPA stats without making a major project out of it.

I don't know about that since the 90 day GPA data seems to be only dropping slightly for most of the books I've been tracking and that info is obviously only the last few months. Having a book being sold for 20-25% less then the 90 day GPA (which is primarily made up of E-Bay sold prices) would have to point the finger at CLink wouldn't you think? Unless E-Bay prices are result of shill bidding which I guess could be a possibility.

I bid on CLink auctions fairly regularly, usually around GPA, and I lose more than I win. I sold 8 comics in the last two auctions and the results are listed below. Overall I got more than I expected using GPA as a guide, but there were some disappointments. Obviously a number of these books don't sell very often so GPA is from a single sale or I had to guess based on similar sales.

Captain America 76 CGC 4.0

Sold for $888, GPA = $819

Fantasy Quarterly 1 CGC 9.4

Sold for $67, GPA = $140

Luke Cage, Hero for Hire 1 CGC 8.0

Sold for $458, GPA = $567

Night Nurse 1 CGC 8.5

Sold for $326, GPA = $267

Sub-Mariner 36 CGC 6.5

Sold for $456, Closest GPA is $610 for a CGC 7.5

X-Men 1 CGC 5.5

Sold for $4,877, GPA = $3,900

X-Men 79 CGC 8.5

Sold for $101, GPA = $100 (somewhat of a guess based on interpolation)

Young Men 24 CGC 5.5

Sold for $1,301, GPA = $1,300 for a CGC 5.0

I bid on CLink auctions fairly regularly, usually around GPA, and I lose more than I win. I sold 8 comics in the last two auctions and the results are listed below. Overall I got more than I expected using GPA as a guide, but there were some disappointments. Obviously a number of these books don't sell very often so GPA is from a single sale or I had to guess based on similar sales.

Sold for $67, GPA = $140

Night Nurse 1 CGC 8.5

Sub-Mariner 36 CGC 6.5

X-Men 1 CGC 5.5

X-Men 79 CGC 8.5

Young Men 24 CGC 5.5

Nice books but the one I'd have gone after was the HFH 1 and it went for 20% under GPA which is pretty low for that hot book which has a good potential to only get hotter. The X-Men 1 did very well but those CGC 5.5s don't grow on trees.

Sold for $67, GPA = $140

Night Nurse 1 CGC 8.5

Sub-Mariner 36 CGC 6.5

X-Men 1 CGC 5.5

X-Men 79 CGC 8.5

Young Men 24 CGC 5.5

I definitely see CLink being a great place to sell books like the Night Nurse 1 and the Golden Age books since they are hard to come by in almost any grade. I just find putting hot books like HFH 1 or a IF 14 do better up on E-Bay (although it may take a few months to see close to GPA).

Won 3 books and was second bidder on 8 books. I usually max out my bids at abut 20% off of GPA so if I win its definitely not a good thing for the seller.

Doctor%20Strange%201%20CGC_zpsvie4zaqr.jpg

Fantastic%20FOur%2045%20CGC_zpsba1smbqm.jpg

SPiderman%2019_zpsuivkwhbi.jpg

I'll take the other side of that bet. Whether the prices realized is a good or bad thing for the seller is simply a matter of perspective. If the consignor was the original owner (or their heirs) the Amazing Spiderman 19 which conservatively netted the seller $500 has made a compounded 17.38 percent annual return since it was published in 1964. The Dr. Strange from 1974 assuming the seller netted $46 after fees has a 13.22 percent compounded annual return. Finally the ff 45 from 1965 and assuming a net price of 200 has a 15.66 percent compounded annual return. These returns, while exceptional, are a fraction of what super high grade copies would bring. To give some perspective $1 (or the cost of 4 Dr. Strange 1's) invested in the S&P 500 in 1974 was worth $75 at the end of 2015. That's 1 CGC 8.5 reader Dr. Strange 1 and 3 CGC 9.8 copies worth GPA $650 each!

I get your point but I would have to point out the high cost to slab the non modern books. The seller probably spend $40 or more to get the books graded.

I get your point but I would have to point out the high cost to slab the non modern books. The seller probably spend $40 or more to get the books graded.

And so many slabs are comprised of carp.

I gotta question someone slabbing that Dr Strange 1 in that grade - how does that work? You have to know it isn't going to grade very high with three bum corners. Or maybe four - can't really see the URFC.

Sold for $67, GPA = $140

Night Nurse 1 CGC 8.5

Sub-Mariner 36 CGC 6.5

X-Men 1 CGC 5.5

X-Men 79 CGC 8.5

Young Men 24 CGC 5.5

Nice books but the one I'd have gone after was the HFH 1 and it went for 20% under GPA which is pretty low for that hot book which has a good potential to only get hotter. The X-Men 1 did very well but those CGC 5.5s don't grow on trees.

Wow. I think those results are outstanding. The HFH1 should not be viewed as a disappointment. The census lists about 300 as 8.0 or better. While still a hot book the most recent sale was for $325. Still the book has seen some staggering price increases and who knows how many high grade raw ones still exist. The softness the market showed in January (interestingly while the stock market was dropping precipitously) has seemingly reversed. At least for the time being!

Sold for $67, GPA = $140

Night Nurse 1 CGC 8.5

Sub-Mariner 36 CGC 6.5

X-Men 1 CGC 5.5

X-Men 79 CGC 8.5

Young Men 24 CGC 5.5

Wow. I think those results are outstanding. The HFH1 should not be viewed as a disappointment. The census lists about 300 as 8.0 or better. While still a hot book the most recent sale was for $325. Still the book has seen some staggering price increases and who knows how many high grade raw ones still exist. The softness the market showed in January (interestingly while the stock market was dropping precipitously) has seemingly reversed. At least for the time being!

I think it was a 8.5 that sold for $325 which must have been a weird auction since a 7.0 is going for almost that much now a days.

I can't believe that the April auction starts this Friday. It seems like the last one just ended (oh wait, because it did!). Not sure how much bidding I will be able to do this month, I've got a bit of wallet fatigue after last month's spree...
Pull yourself together. I got 275+ slabs in this auction. Take a deep breath. You got this.

At the minimum of $300 per slab you are looking at least $83,000 (worship)

That's likely unlikely, but sounds real good, but realistically I know I got some that break $200 and done that may not crack $50. After last month auction, it appears buyers are winning the war. If I can fall between $60-$100 avg per book, I'm gonna be in line with my prediction. I just did the count and there are 271 books.
Well every book has a bid, sold a bunch last night, some will go tomorrow and a ton on Monday. I'm currently averaging $47.93/book. It seems to go up every time I check. Fun to watch.

Sold for $67, GPA = $140

Night Nurse 1 CGC 8.5

Sub-Mariner 36 CGC 6.5

X-Men 1 CGC 5.5

X-Men 79 CGC 8.5

Young Men 24 CGC 5.5

I definitely see CLink being a great place to sell books like the Night Nurse 1 and the Golden Age books since they are hard to come by in almost any grade. I just find putting hot books like HFH 1 or a IF 14 do better up on E-Bay (although it may take a few months to see close to GPA).

z

This would lead me to believe that you are not auctioning on ebay but rather using BIN. You can't compare auction on CL to BIN on ebay. There is a lot of value in getting money now and not having it tied up in ebay BIN books for months at a time.

I can't believe that the April auction starts this Friday. It seems like the last one just ended (oh wait, because it did!). Not sure how much bidding I will be able to do this month, I've got a bit of wallet fatigue after last month's spree...
Pull yourself together. I got 275+ slabs in this auction. Take a deep breath. You got this.

At the minimum of $300 per slab you are looking at least $83,000 (worship)

That's likely unlikely, but sounds real good, but realistically I know I got some that break $200 and done that may not crack $50. After last month auction, it appears buyers are winning the war. If I can fall between $60-$100 avg per book, I'm gonna be in line with my prediction. I just did the count and there are 271 books.
Well every book has a bid, sold a bunch last night, some will go tomorrow and a ton on Monday. I'm currently averaging $47.93/book. It seems to go up every time I check. Fun to watch.

:applause: + :wishluck:

Sold for $67, GPA = $140

Night Nurse 1 CGC 8.5

Sub-Mariner 36 CGC 6.5

X-Men 1 CGC 5.5

X-Men 79 CGC 8.5

Young Men 24 CGC 5.5

To add a little more commentary on the Night Nurse 1 in 8.0 . The referenced GPA sale of 267 was the Last sale, CR/OW page quality(IMO not desirable on a Bronze), and way down from the previous GPA sale of 450. In summary, I don't think the Clink sale was impressive at all, in fact I think it was low. (shrug)