• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the biggest hole in your collection?
3 3

118 posts in this topic

I'd be interested to hear if the "hole" is due to not being able to find the book or just needing the funds to buy the book.

It's easy to fill the AF15 hole, but not if you dont have the money

It's hard to fill some GA holes regardless of how much money you have!

I have a good long list of GA Sci-Fi I'm still looking for, but catagoricly I would say the hole in my collection is:

Any Sci-Fi LB Cole cover

what's holding me back? Finding one for auction or for sale at a reasonable price. There are a few sitting out there with huge BIN prices for way to beat copies... so I keep watching.

In this day and age of the internet, just about ANY book can be eventually found IF one has enough cash. This is NOT like when I first starting collecting and you went to conventions or waited for paper catalogs to come in the mail, hoping to find that book you were looking for. With the internet, finding that book has become easier. Unfortunately, I think the internet has also driven up the price of many of the rarer books.

That being said, I have a whole in my collection. Action #1. If I had unlimited funds, I am sure I could buy a copy. Given I am not Donald Trump (lol), I am trying to find a LOW grade that will at least fill the hole. Trying to find a LOW grade copy is more of a challenge. It seems most of these are either hidden away or have been restored.

I would accept a heavily restored copy, however, not at the same price point as an unrestored copy in the same grade.

So in my case, I suppose it is a very limited supply problem, coupled with a good (but not unlimited) budget problem.

I'd be interested to hear if the "hole" is due to not being able to find the book or just needing the funds to buy the book.

It's easy to fill the AF15 hole, but not if you dont have the money

It's hard to fill some GA holes regardless of how much money you have!

I have a good long list of GA Sci-Fi I'm still looking for, but catagoricly I would say the hole in my collection is:

Any Sci-Fi LB Cole cover

what's holding me back? Finding one for auction or for sale at a reasonable price. There are a few sitting out there with huge BIN prices for way to beat copies... so I keep watching.

In this day and age of the internet, just about ANY book can be eventually found IF one has enough cash. This is NOT like when I first starting collecting and you went to conventions or waited for paper catalogs to come in the mail, hoping to find that book you were looking for. With the internet, finding that book has become easier. Unfortunately, I think the internet has also driven up the price of many of the rarer books.

That being said, I have a whole in my collection. Action #1. If I had unlimited funds, I am sure I could buy a copy. Given I am not Donald Trump (lol), I am trying to find a LOW grade that will at least fill the hole. Trying to find a LOW grade copy is more of a challenge. It seems most of these are either hidden away or have been restored.

I would accept a heavily restored copy, however, not at the same price point as an unrestored copy in the same grade.

So in my case, I suppose it is a very limited supply problem, coupled with a good (but not unlimited) budget problem.

FF 1 :cloud9: ...GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

AF 15 is the big void. I could have one if I sold off my keys, but then I hate selling my books b/c I know I'm not going to get them back, at least not at the price I want to pay. So, I have first apps of cool characters, but not the one for my childhood fave.

Tales of Horror 8. The one with the giant lizard cover. I have a near complete run of the title, but that's the only one i can never find.

Batman 4. I have 2, 3, and 5, and I'd like to complete that mini run. Batman 1 is probably unobtainable for me at this point.

Tec 38.

There was the 8.0 restored copy that got away from me a few years ago on the boards, and another this October. Now if I want a copy it's an arm and a leg. I need this book!! It's me!!!

ComicConnect has a 6.0 MP being auctioned off.

I will be watching it. I told myself I wouldn't bid, but most likely by the end of the month when things are calm I'll go "batty" and put in a bid- that is if it stays reasonable. It just may. :wishluck:I wish it was a 3-4.0. I know it wouldn't go too high then. Or at least I think it wouldn't.

Up on list as one of the biggest holes in my collection. Actually, I usually start with 3 choices in what I most want to seek. Each time I successfully found a book that met my requests on condition, paper qualify and price, I move to the next on list down.

At the moment, the holes are::

Archie's Pal Jughead #3 - 11

Flash #123 or 105

The Jughead books are hard to find in high grade. I have #1 and 2 in above 8.0, so I want to find # 3 to 11 in same grade-wise. I got funds for them ... It is the finding that is tough.

Flash #123 is something I want to replace my poor copy, so it kinda bugs me to find one within my budget I can afford. lol

I have several others on list but these ones above are the top most wanted. As soon I have it, I crossed it off and move to next.

It will always be difficult to buy the key issues, particularly at a price that you can live with. FF 50 has been on my want list for several years. I have turned up my nose at low grade copies that were under $200, but consider books over $400 to be out of my range.

I am a completionist with the titles I collect, so the real holes to me are when I need just one more issue to complete a run. At present, I need just one more issue of Iron Man to complete my run. Is it #1? #55? No. It is #40. Absolutely nothing special about that issue. But I have not found an 8.5 or better copy yet for anywhere near Overstreet. Weird.

Edited by phicks

It will always be difficult to buy the key issues, particularly at a price that you can live with. FF 50 has been on my want list for several years. I have turned up my nose at low grade copies that were under $200, but consider books over $400 to be out of my range.

I am a completionist with the titles I collect, so the real holes to me are when I need just one more issue to complete a run. At present, I need just one more issue of Iron Man to complete my run. Is it #1? #55? No. It is #40. Absolutely nothing special about that issue. But I have not found an 8.5 or better copy yet for anywhere near Overstreet. Weird.

Then getcha some of this action!:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRON-MAN-40-8-71-CGC-9-4-OW-W-NICK-FURY-APPEARANCE-/322028519968?hash=item4afa654220:g:n~IAAOSwZ8ZW2dil

Edited by Vorpal