• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,182 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2023 at 7:14 PM, paperheart said:

Isn't really a recent development; in 2002 1.575B tickets were sold in US, in 2019 it was 1.228B.  Streaming & the pandemic have just exacerbated what has been a 20 year (really 80 year) secular decline in movie-going in the US.

Yep. We learned to wait until movies came out for streaming and would all throw in some cash for several families to see it on a nice home theater. Way more cost effective and enjoyable. As others have mentioned, the home tech is really good, taking a pause, rewinding cool scenes, having a drink/smoke, chowing some food, letting the kids/grandkids go nuts - it was actually a pretty quick transition that the kids started asking more about the next movie night than actually going to the theatre to see anything.

If you can have a modicum of patience, entertainment is still reasonable.

-bc

On 7/10/2023 at 11:46 AM, media_junkie said:

Geez, they should have removed that bit of the film just for the bad CGI babies.  Dear lord if that is how the CGI was in the rest of the film then all I can ask is where did the $250 million they spent on this film go?

Severance payouts to all of the WBD execs and employees that pushed this movie forward.................

On 7/10/2023 at 1:13 PM, Bosco685 said:

I agree. But I think over the past few years what we have also seen is any landmines a production may include intentionally or unintentionally that then social media and some general audience members may latch on to as major disappointments. Which then becomes the next alert of a "horrible" or "terrible" film, no matter how extreme or light an item may be. Which then studio marketing needs to kick in so as to attempt to conduct damage control versus just promoting a film.

Social media as an open feedback loop has become more danger than benefit to society in these situations. And especially when some use it to detract from a production with a biased goal in mind.

But too often, the studio's defense comes across as attacking fans. It is a delicate line to walk,  but the current approach is not working.

On 7/10/2023 at 6:51 PM, fastballspecial said:

"Yes, the theater business is weakened" 

And will take years to recover which is what I said if at all.
Families are just as happy to stay home and watch films and save $50+
to see a film a month later. They created this problem. 

Yes, weakened but several movies have shown there is a way forward.  So movie studios need to disecting what is working, because there have been successes. 

On 7/10/2023 at 9:26 PM, drotto said:

But too often, the studio's defense comes across as attacking fans. It is a delicate line to walk,  but the current approach is not working.

Yeah, I'm tired of when a movie bombs the studio instantly starts attacking the fans.  Just own up to the fact you made a total POS movie.

On 7/11/2023 at 7:03 AM, media_junkie said:

Yeah, I'm tired of when a movie bombs the studio instantly starts attacking the fans.  Just own up to the fact you made a total POS movie.

and sometimes a person and not the studio; when that "bros" flick bombed, eichner made it clear it would've been a blockbuster except for all of us homophobe movie fans.

On 7/11/2023 at 7:03 AM, media_junkie said:

Attacking the audience I think is also keeping people away from movies that might be good. I know it's why I don't see tent poles in the theater but go see things like Renfield or The Pope's Exorcist instead.

On 7/11/2023 at 8:13 AM, Straw-Man said:

and sometimes a person and not the studio; when that "bros" flick bombed, eichner made it clear it would've been a blockbuster except for all of us homophobe movie fans.

"If only you viewed the world as I do. This would have been a billion dollar box office. PERIOD!"

:shiftyeyes:

On 7/11/2023 at 11:00 AM, Bosco685 said:

"If only you viewed the world as I do. This would have been a billion dollar box office. PERIOD!"

:shiftyeyes:

This film is a perfect example concerning who are some movies being made for?  Not saying we should not have diverse films, for different tastes, but you need to keep your expectations realistic.  This movie is a Romcom.  Those film historically appeal far more to women than men, because many women like to fantasize about being in the female role.  So this movie is not for them because you take that role away.  Men (apparently including gay men) are just not that into Romcoms unless women are dragging them to the movie (although I will argue When Harry Met Sally is a classic film).  In addition, gay men are roughly 1% of the population?

So not saying the film should have not been made, but it had niche appeal,  and the box office expectations need to take that into account, and the publicity surrounding the film needs to take that into account, without becoming accusatory. 

On 7/10/2023 at 9:37 AM, Zonker said:

I hope anyone worried about the microwaved baby watches this clip.  It makes it clear the filmmakers were going for an extended sight gag here, and in the theatre showing I attended, I would say it mostly worked.  I recall a lot of laughter at this point, including from the wife & daughter.  

"OMG- falling babies... what could be worse!?"
"Wait... he's stopping for a snack instead of rescuing them?  What possibly could be worse?"
"OMG NOT THE BABY IN THE MICROWAVE!!!"  :ohnoez:

It might also be a callback to the infamous Letita Lerner, Superman's Babysitter.  The comic that got pulped because Paul Levitz didn't think the audience could handle a (Kryptonian) baby-in-the-microwave gag in 1999.

Is this indicative of the humour in the movie? Yikes.  And that CGI is way worse than I heard, which is saying a lot. I heard it was bad but holy hell that was brutal

So today I took my kids to Transformers Rise of beasts, the people in front of us asked for tickets to the Flash.  The guy working the booth chuckled and said they were not playing it any longer (16 screen theater).  So not even a month since release and this movie is dead.  Barry Allen?  More like Buried Allen, what a rotten way for the Flash to be served up. 

On 7/12/2023 at 6:20 PM, media_junkie said:

So today I took my kids to Transformers Rise of beasts, the people in front of us asked for tickets to the Flash.  The guy working the booth chuckled and said they were not playing it any longer (16 screen theater).  So not even a month since release and this movie is dead.  Barry Allen?  More like Buried Allen, what a rotten way for the Flash to be served up. 

1qm3mq.jpg.1283f4c348ba2667768a1cbd28d80bb8.jpg.8083d7b832fa19dd832ce444e0770827.jpg

On 7/12/2023 at 8:08 PM, bronze_rules said:

Didn't James Gunn say this was the greatest superhero movie he's ever seen (or something like that)? Has me worried, with him at the helm now.

And it wasn't just Gunn, was it?  I mean, how often before now have the likes of Tom Cruise and Stephen King offered opinions about current movies?  I liked this one well enough, but the pre-release hype was off the charts.  Makes me wonder if the thrill of getting an advance look at a "rough cut" several months before the rest of the world led people to subconsciously grade this one on a curve?