• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,350 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2022 at 5:29 PM, Buzzetta said:

I would have liked to have seen Hound as a transformable Vamp.  I’m hoping that the AWE Striker does not diminish that possibility.  I’ve not been able to watch the broadcast.  Did they say anything about the future of the crossover line?

Haslab Optimus as a Rolling Thunder perhaps?

Seaspray as a Killer Whale Hovercraft ?

Metroplex or Fortress Maximus as the Headquarters?

One can dream.

As of now I have skipped these but the above two would make it hard to ignore. 

It was actually not an very impressive pulse.  Most I saw was them talking about Crimson guard stuff with the new crimson guard bat and that all that would be the latest of a sub team.  Saying it would colour match with Crimson guard and tomax and xamot.

On 6/8/2022 at 2:55 PM, Buzzetta said:

I was under the impression that Robert Remus (Sgt Slaughter) owns the rights to the name, likeness, and licensing of Sgt Slaughter.  Vince fought him over it but Remus had established ownership over the name early in his career.   Any time the character has been used it is with Remus permission and he is presumably the recipient of royalties. 

I think there is more to that story but @jaybuck43 would know more.  Pretty sure this was established when Vince was making the LJN line as Remus was making the deal with Hasbro. 

*in JR voice* BY GOD ALLMIGHTY!!! That's Jaybuck43's MUSIC!!!!

Yea the story about this is pretty intense, and had huge reverberations down the line.   Remus/Slaughter originally worked in Verne Gagne's AWA based out of Minnesota as Super Destroyer II.  This was in the 1970s.  Eventually he creates the Sgt Slaughter character as an evil drill instructor from the Vietnam era.  Ironic of course, since he never served a day in the military.  Apparently he had watched an old 50s era movie called "The D.I." and that inspired him to create the persona.   In 1980 he gets hired by McMahon Senior.  Spends about a year there as a villain.  During this time we get one of the greatest matches in history.  Slaughter, who at the time was doing "The Cobra Clutch Challenge" offered $5,000 to any man who can break out of the Cobra Clutch.  Week after week he's just beating down jobers with this.  Eventually, Pat Patterson (who's working as a Color Commentator/Announcer at the time) gets into it with Slaughter and it leads to a "Alley Brawl" at MSG.  This fight is INTENSE.  Considered one of the most all time "hardcore" matches, before hardcore was a thing.  Slaughter leaves WWF to go to the NWA.  Does 2 years there.  Comes back again as Slaughter in 1983.  Still a heel.  Then does a face turn in Allentown (if I remember correctly).  Goes out at the beginning of the show and does his usual stuff, still heel.  Then at the end of the evening  Iron Sheik, who at the time had NUCLEAR level heat on him. is beating the bajezzus out of Eddie Gilbert, Slaughter comes running out and chases off Sheik.  Takes the microphone and (having been told to give a Pattonesque speech)... recites the pledge of allegiance.  *shrug* And yet he went to the stratosphere because of this.  Instantly becomes the #2 face in the company second only to Hogan.  BELOVED.  Hasbro then reaches out to Slaughter with an offer.  They want him to be the first living GI Joe.  They would make him an actual GI Joe figure, he would go around giving speeches and talks and pump up the sales etc.  Sarge is ecstatic... until he tells Vince.  Vince laughed at him and was like "Well, that's great pal, but I signed a multimillion dollar deal with LJN on Friday.... so not gonna happen."  Sarge goes home and talks with his wife.  Basically asks her what should he do.  He can stay in WWF, give up the GI Joe idea, and continue being built to the stratosphere (and don't forget, this is happening as Vince is building Wrestlemania I where Sarge would have been given a HUGE spot) or he could quit, take the Hasbro deal, and go elsewhere.  Allegedly, his wife told him that basically he can wrestle anywhere, but there's only one GI JOE, and that there's no way he should pass up the Hasbro deal.  Sarge goes and gives Vince his notice, and again Vince thinks this is a rib.  Literally laughs at him in the face. Tells him he's not accepting his notice, see ya on Friday.  Eventually Vince realizes that Sarge is for real.  Tells him, fine you can leave but WE own Sgt Slaughter.  Sarge had a friend who was a lawyer, and an ex amateur wrestler, go out and copyright/trademark the term.  And he backdated it to 1974 (so while the filing took place in October 1984, he showed that he had been using the mark for over 10 years, and thus his rights would supersede any claim by WWF).  Vince was LIVID, he had thought that he owned Sgt Slaughter because the rights existed more or less with a handshake agreement back then.  After this happened, he started putting hard rights into all the contracts.  So Sarge was free and clear to go do the Hasbro deal, did that for a few years, then the GI Joe popularity ended, his AWA wrestling came to an end and we got Iraqi Sympathizer Sgt Slaughter at Wrestlemania VI vs. Hulk Hogan.  But by then Vince got the rights to the Sgt Slaughter name and kept them until 2000 when he abandoned them.  Now technically no-one owns them.  

On 6/8/2022 at 6:15 PM, jaybuck43 said:

by then Vince got the rights to the Sgt Slaughter name and kept them until 2000 when he abandoned them.  Now technically no-one owns them.

That's VERY surprising given that two companies are creating action figures based upon the character.  If the trademark lapsed can't anyone claim it now?

On 6/8/2022 at 6:26 PM, fantastic_four said:

That's VERY surprising given that two companies are creating action figures based upon the character.  If the trademark lapsed can't anyone claim it now?

The name Sgt Slaughter can be used by anyone, but Ramus still owns his likeness.  So you can create a new character and NAME it Sgt Slaughter, but you can't make it look like him.  

On 6/8/2022 at 5:32 PM, Buzzetta said:

I’m outside so I didn’t notice… @F For Fake did that Snake Eyes and Timber set actually have green pants?  I ordered it but couldn’t see over the phone.  This will be the third 6” Joe I have bought… 

In the pics it definitely reads more brown/grey, but I thought the guy said “green”. I could definitely be wrong. I often am!

On 6/8/2022 at 6:47 PM, jaybuck43 said:

@Buzzetta  This song is for you...

Speaking of, I’m on the train and won’t be home until 8:30…

Please text me if Max delivers a new message to that “******* mark”.

I could just text this to you but hopefully more people tune in lol 

On 6/8/2022 at 6:59 PM, F For Fake said:

In the pics it definitely reads more brown/grey, but I thought the guy said “green”. I could definitely be wrong. I often am!

There were a few modern mixes that turned out nicely if it is the brownish grey I am thinking of.  There was a Snake Eyes and Timber o-ring figure that came out in the mid-2000’s under the valor v venom line that was one of the best 3.75 versions of the figure I had seen at that time. 

On 6/8/2022 at 7:06 PM, Buzzetta said:

Speaking of, I’m on the train and won’t be home until 8:30…

Please text me if Max delivers a new message to that “******* mark”.

I could just text this to you but hopefully more people tune in lol 

Supposedly the ******* mark was ordered to remove Max from all commercials as well as the opening montages of both shows. Apparently Warner/Discovery does not acknowledge him….

On 6/8/2022 at 7:16 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Supposedly the ******* mark was ordered to remove Max from all commercials as well as the opening montages of both shows. Apparently Warner/Discovery does not acknowledge him….

They worked themselves into a shoot if true. 

Anyone else see this abomination? Flair’s upcoming figure to commemorate his “last match”.

@jaybuck43

https://wrestlingfiguredatabase.com/products/2022-jim-crockett-promotions-major-bendies-limited-edition-last-match-ric-flair

A9CC574C-1673-4858-BA90-641B357D5C72.jpeg

Edited by Buzzetta

I forget where I saw it but I saw something about a custom  Snake Eyes where you can get your personalized head sculpt on it.  I am not sure if true but saw that somewhere.

Suppose to be put on a classified Snake Eyes figure.

Edited by whisp

On 6/8/2022 at 7:55 PM, whisp said:

I forget where I saw it but I saw something about a custom  Snake Eyes where you can get your personalized head sculpt on it.  I am not sure if true but saw that somewhere.

Is that part of the same rumor going around that Hasbro pulse will be offering personalized Star Wars figures?  You send them some selfies and they print the head using a 3D printer. It won’t be injection molding but if the rumor is true and the mock up that leaked holds true it would look pretty sharp.  There was talk that if successful (again if true) that it would make its way to other lines. 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:00 PM, Buzzetta said:

Is that part of the same rumor going around that Hasbro pulse will be offering personalized Star Wars figures?  You send them some selfies and they print the head using a 3D printer. It won’t be injection molding but if the rumor is true and the mock up that leaked holds true it would look pretty sharp.  There was talk that if successful (again if true) that it would make its way to other lines. 

I honestly can't remember where I saw it.  Probably youtube but they where talking about a Snake Eyes Classified figure with your head sculpt for $60 usd thru Hasbro.  I can't seem to find it so maybe it was bs.  I remember in the comments people saying that isn't right and that Snake Eyes should never be unmasked.  If I can find it I will post it.

Edited by whisp