• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,350 posts in this topic

On 6/7/2022 at 10:29 PM, followtheleader said:

I like the Steeler because of the crazy blue colored text. 

I bought a group of file cards that I needed.   I don't run across them near as often as I used to. 

Picked up a couple driver file cards.  I'll post those soon. 

He had a mail away Keel Haul, but way too expensive. 

Patrick

Yeah this guy I traded with had a keel haul in his picture but it was already traded or I would have snagged it even though I don't have a keel haul lol.

He wants to do an other traded with me since I have three cards he needs but he has 6 I need.  He has copperhead, wild weasel, flint, lampreys, blowtorch and deep six.  I asked him if he had 6 cards of mine he needed but if not hoping 4 at least  because the first 4 I listed would complete all those figures.  My blowtorch and deeps six still have some missing gear .  But yeah I am hoping to get a few more vehicle driver cards.  We just making sure both parties get their first items then if that is all well then will do an other trade.  I love trading file cards.  So easy to ship and cheap since just put between cardboard and send regular mail unlike trying to trade weapons and gear.  File cards already did multiple trades in a couple days.  Trying to trade all my weapons and gear is a nightmare since the hoarders, lowballers, people wanting to trade a bunch of common gear for harder to get gear and getting upset.  Its a pain lol 

backpacks.jpg

helmets.jpg

pistols.jpg

rifles.jpg

swords.jpg

Edited by whisp

On 6/8/2022 at 6:33 AM, zuckuss2003 said:

Fun fact, a younger Andre the Giant starred as Big Foot in the episode.

Ha, beat me to it, I was going to say "That's the first ever Andre the Giant action figure", which is kinda true!

On 6/8/2022 at 10:12 AM, F For Fake said:

Ha, beat me to it, I was going to say "That's the first ever Andre the Giant action figure", which is kinda true!

Since you mentioned a wrestler.  I am always keeping an eye out for the GI Joe version of Sgt. Slaughter at garage sales and flea markets.   Does anyone know if that was released in Canada or just  a USA release.  I don't know anything about those wresting figures.

On 6/8/2022 at 8:29 AM, whisp said:

Since you mentioned a wrestler.  I am always keeping an eye out for the GI Joe version of Sgt. Slaughter at garage sales and flea markets.   Does anyone know if that was released in Canada or just  a USA release.  I don't know anything about those wresting figures.

I believe my cousin had Sgt Slaughter GIJoe

On 6/9/2022 at 12:29 AM, whisp said:

I had the 'Slaughter's Marauders' (I think that was the name?) version of Sgt Slaughter in Australia as a kid. I had no idea he was a real person. 

I forgot Sergeant Slaughter was a GI Joe character.  He was recently released in a knock-off GI Joe line called "Action Force"...I'm guessing Hasbro either never trademarked the name or lost it at some point?  (shrug)  I'm curious how Valaverse was able to use the name of a character Hasbro created.

valaverse-sarge-v2-009.jpg

On 6/8/2022 at 10:33 AM, Cat said:

I had the 'Slaughter's Marauders' (I think that was the name?) version of Sgt Slaughter in Australia as a kid. I had no idea he was a real person. 

Yeah there was multiple figures of Slaughter for 3 3/4 figures.  But this wrestling one seems hard to find.  Its based off the 1985 3 /34 figure.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:37 AM, fantastic_four said:

I forgot Sergeant Slaughter was a GI Joe character.  He was recently released in a knock-off GI Joe line called "Action Force"...I'm guessing Hasbro either never trademarked the name or lost it at some point?  (shrug)  I'm curious how Valaverse was able to use the name of a character Hasbro created.

valaverse-sarge-v2-009.jpg

Valaverse bought the trade name Action Force and bought stuff that wasn't renewed by hasbro and had expired and that how he was able to make the ones he does.  I assume he also has to pay out royalties for that.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:40 AM, whisp said:

Valaverse bought the trade name Action Force and bought stuff that wasn't renewed by hasbro and had expired and that how he was able to make the ones he does.  I assume he also has to pay out royalties for that.

If Hasbro let a trademark expire (they last a decade) then Valaverse wouldn't have to pay them anything to use the name.  The likeness falls under copyright which lasts 120 years for corporations and can't be renewed.  I doubt he's got a unique enough look for Hasbro to have tried copyrighting him, but even if they did Valaverse could relatively easily tweak his appearance without violating the copyright or having to pay royalties.

In any event I highly doubt Valaverse is paying Hasbro anything.  Hasbro has licensed GI Joe intellectual property for other companies to make some limited action figures, but all of the ones I've seen aren't in the 6-inch scale so as not to compete with their Classified Series line.  The only third-party figures I've seen them license are 7-inch figures to Super7 and 12-inch figures to ThreeZero; both of those scales are far more niche than the mainstream 6-inch scale that sells best these days.  They've also licensed 3.75-inch figures to Super7, and THAT has had me surprised since they first did it since Hasbro also makes 3.75-inch GI Joe figures.  Usually Hasbro avoids licensing products that compete with their own, but for 3.75-inch Joes they did it for reasons I haven't figured out.

The other reason I doubt Valaverse is paying Hasbro anything is if they were they'd sell a LOT better if they'd slap the GI Joe brand name on their licensed figures, but since they aren't I'm guessing they have no license.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 6/8/2022 at 12:38 PM, fantastic_four said:

If Hasbro let a trademark expire (they last a decade) then Valaverse wouldn't have to pay them anything to use the name.  The likeness falls under copyright which lasts 120 years for corporations and can't be renewed.  I doubt he's got a unique enough look for Hasbro to have tried copyrighting him, but even if they did Valaverse could relatively easily tweak his appearance without violating the copyright or having to pay royalties.

In any event I highly doubt Valaverse is paying Hasbro anything.  Hasbro has licensed GI Joe intellectual property for other companies to make some limited action figures, but all of the ones I've seen aren't in the 6-inch scale so as not to compete with their Classified Series line.  The only third-party figures I've seen them license are 7-inch figures to Super7 and 12-inch figures to ThreeZero; both of those scales are far more niche than the mainstream 6-inch scale that sells best these days.  They've also licensed 3.75-inch figures to Super7, and THAT has had me surprised since they first did it since Hasbro also makes 3.75-inch GI Joe figures.  Usually Hasbro avoids licensing products that compete with their own, but for 3.75-inch Joes they did it for reasons I haven't figured out.

The other reason I doubt Valaverse is paying Hasbro anything is if they were they'd sell a LOT better if they'd slap the GI Joe brand name on their licensed figures, but since they aren't I'm guessing they have no license.

Never said they paying Hasbro anything.  Hasbro let action force expire and he grabbed it.  But for Sgt. Slaughter he would have to get royalties for his likeness and his brand.  There was a youtube video about it.

On 6/8/2022 at 12:48 PM, whisp said:

Never said they paying Hasbro anything.  Hasbro let action force expire and he grabbed it.  But for Sgt. Slaughter he would have to get royalties for his likeness and his brand.  There was a youtube video about it.

If not Hasbro who would he be paying?  WWE?

On 6/8/2022 at 1:17 PM, fantastic_four said:

If not Hasbro who would he be paying?  WWE?

To be honest I don't know how he would get payed but he has to be getting something.  Also Hasbro is using him again and they talked about it today on Hasbro Pulse.

Was actually interesting, they made it like the advertisements back in the day of him holding his own joe.  He comes with a mini carded Joe lol.

Edited by whisp

I was under the impression that Robert Remus (Sgt Slaughter) owns the rights to the name, likeness, and licensing of Sgt Slaughter.  Vince fought him over it but Remus had established ownership over the name early in his career.   Any time the character has been used it is with Remus permission and he is presumably the recipient of royalties. 

I think there is more to that story but @jaybuck43 would know more.  Pretty sure this was established when Vince was making the LJN line as Remus was making the deal with Hasbro. 

On 6/8/2022 at 2:55 PM, Buzzetta said:

I was under the impression that Robert Remus (Sgt Slaughter) owns the rights to the name, likeness, and licensing of Sgt Slaughter.  Vince fought him over it but Remus had established ownership over the name early in his career.   Any time the character has been used it is with Remus permission and he is presumably the recipient of royalties. 

I think there is more to that story but @jaybuck43 would know more.  Pretty sure this was established when Vince was making the LJN line as Remus was making the deal with Hasbro. 

This is my understanding as well. I'm assuming that the reason Valaverse got first crack is because they were willing to pay his licensing fee. Hasbro must have smelled money and stepped up, because now we're getting the GI Joe Classified Sgt Slaughter, and it looks like it's going to be a beauty.

The other reveals today were kinda meh. It is exciting to hear that they're going to adopt a five figure wave style for Classified, however, the first five figure wave has three repaints! Crimson B.A.T., Barbeque in Slaughter's Marauders Deco, Outback in his orignal look, and finally a new Falcon and Cover Girl. Hasbro being Hasbro, they're going to squeeze these molds for all that they're worth, so no surprises about any of the repaints. Crimson B.A.T. will be a cool addition to the army, and we assumed that a traditional Outback would have to be on the way since the Tiger Force version was initially revealed. The Marauders BBQ gives me pause, as I also hated those decos as a kid. Such an ugly blur of green, brown and blue. Yuck.

Falcon looks ok, Cover Girl looks amazing. Psyched about those.

I have no interest in this new Snake Eyes & Timber set. This version of Snake Eyes (v2. visor but green camo pants?) does nothing for me, and one Timber is plenty.

The latest GI Joe/TF crossover is a neat concept (Sgt Stalker and the AWE Striker), but having the Awe Striker be Bumblebee is a bit of a head scratcher. I mean, i realize Bumblebee is one of the most popular Transformers, so he's going to show up everywhere, but in such a fan-directed toy line, it seems like it would make more sense to use the actual Transformers dune buggy, Beachcomber. Or even another military vehicle, like Hound. But Bumblebee? Eh. Oh well, it still looks pretty cool, so I pre-ordered.

On 6/8/2022 at 3:44 PM, F For Fake said:

This is my understanding as well. I'm assuming that the reason Valaverse got first crack is because they were willing to pay his licensing fee. Hasbro must have smelled money and stepped up, because now we're getting the GI Joe Classified Sgt Slaughter, and it looks like it's going to be a beauty.

The other reveals today were kinda meh. It is exciting to hear that they're going to adopt a five figure wave style for Classified, however, the first five figure wave has three repaints! Crimson B.A.T., Barbeque in Slaughter's Marauders Deco, Outback in his orignal look, and finally a new Falcon and Cover Girl. Hasbro being Hasbro, they're going to squeeze these molds for all that they're worth, so no surprises about any of the repaints. Crimson B.A.T. will be a cool addition to the army, and we assumed that a traditional Outback would have to be on the way since the Tiger Force version was initially revealed. The Marauders BBQ gives me pause, as I also hated those decos as a kid. Such an ugly blur of green, brown and blue. Yuck.

Falcon looks ok, Cover Girl looks amazing. Psyched about those.

I have no interest in this new Snake Eyes & Timber set. This version of Snake Eyes (v2. visor but green camo pants?) does nothing for me, and one Timber is plenty.

The latest GI Joe/TF crossover is a neat concept (Sgt Stalker and the AWE Striker), but having the Awe Striker be Bumblebee is a bit of a head scratcher. I mean, i realize Bumblebee is one of the most popular Transformers, so he's going to show up everywhere, but in such a fan-directed toy line, it seems like it would make more sense to use the actual Transformers dune buggy, Beachcomber. Or even another military vehicle, like Hound. But Bumblebee? Eh. Oh well, it still looks pretty cool, so I pre-ordered.

Should have been Beachcomber!

And marauder was ugliest  set ever in my opinion.  Shows how Hasbro is now.  I cant stand that one person on pulse.  Im sure you know who.  They don't fit in.

I watched the chat, tired of snake eyes, tired of exclusives, tired of Canada being left out!

Edited by whisp

I would have liked to have seen Hound as a transformable Vamp.  I’m hoping that the AWE Striker does not diminish that possibility.  I’ve not been able to watch the broadcast.  Did they say anything about the future of the crossover line?

Haslab Optimus as a Rolling Thunder perhaps?

Seaspray as a Killer Whale Hovercraft ?

Metroplex or Fortress Maximus as the Headquarters?

One can dream.

As of now I have skipped these but the above two would make it hard to ignore. 

Edited by Buzzetta

I’m outside so I didn’t notice… @F For Fake did that Snake Eyes and Timber set actually have green pants?  I ordered it but couldn’t see over the phone.  This will be the third 6” Joe I have bought…