• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This Week In Your Plastic Crack, Action Figures and Toy Collection
26 26

9,344 posts in this topic

44 minutes ago, Mickey7 said:

(A) Had to be my 1978 Death Star playset.  I remember having lots of fun with that toy.  It's long gone, however I do still have the original instructions from that playset, so I'm happy to have some tangible memory from it.

(B) I wanted lots of GI Joe toys I never was able to get.  Maybe my most wanted was the GI Joe headquarters.  I had to build my own back in 1985.(see pic below).

GIJoeFort85 - Copy.jpg

Once again proving why lego was is and always will be the best toy. 

14 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I've never gone done the peroxide route, but will be VERY interested to see how it turns out.  Good luck!

Patrick

It worked wonders for my ancient, yellowed X-Wing. I've seen very good results online for Stormy, but I believe with all of these peroxide treated toys, it's just a matter of time before the yellowing comes back. But if it buys me a couple of years of fun, it'll be worth it.

Edited by F For Fake

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:53 AM, PKJ said:

Patrick I have a BMX collection sorta, that is a 86 Performer. One side of the room hopefully will be 80's bmx and skateboards.

I think it is 5 Water Moccasins with boxes, one is sealed.

IMG_1330.JPG

Love the collection. Im on the other side, more skateboards, a few Joe's, and a few Transformers. My bike collection is all Mid School and consists Mainly as my two favorites from the era with some friends. If you wanna see my skateboards, they're on IG Pbeam78

Edited by The Resurrection

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, followtheleader said:

Couple fun questions.  Try to limit it to one toy per question to make the questions a little tougher.  

Feel free to throw in some back-story. 

A.  What was your all-time favorite toy that you received at Christmas/Birthday? 

B.  What toy did you yearn for but never received (at least never received in your youth)? 

C.  What toy did you thoroughly enjoy in your youth, but you now find it to be pretty silly?  

Patrick

A. Castle GraySkull, and that was actually an epic Chrismas with GI-Joe, He-Man, and Thundercats!

B. Devastator. My absolute favorite Transformer, I now own 1 original, 1 knock off, and an 18" reissue

C. I had a space ship my mother bought when I was maybe 4, made sounds, it was a replica of some ship. But since I didn't have many toys it was used for GI joe, Star Wars, He Man, whatever. Looking back it doesn't make much sense for He-Man to ride around on a spaceship only twice the size of battle cat.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:27 PM, followtheleader said:

Couple fun questions.  Try to limit it to one toy per question to make the questions a little tougher.  

Feel free to throw in some back-story. 

A.  What was your all-time favorite toy that you received at Christmas/Birthday? 

B.  What toy did you yearn for but never received (at least never received in your youth)? 

C.  What toy did you thoroughly enjoy in your youth, but you now find it to be pretty silly?  

Patrick

A. I started collecting Archie Comics about 6 months before my 11th birthday (November 6) and Christmas, so, as you can imagine, my parents bought me A LOT of comics that year, but they also bought me one of my first Archie collectibles - The Archie Doll, c. 1973, an 18-inch plush doll (Above: It's in the lower left hand corner of my photo).  

B. My dad was always into building and painting Aurora models, and I immediately wanted Archie's Car with Archie and Veronica, c. 1969-1971. It's a very rare model, so I' still hunting for it! 

C. Pogs! I'm not sure why they were ever popular, but, with that being said, I just bought a complete set of Archie Comics pogs, c. 1995 for my collection. 

Edited by archiecomicscollector

4 hours ago, archiecomicscollector said:

I recently had part of my collection on display - as part of an internal "Things We Collect" exhibit - for my coworkers. It was very interesting to see the varied collections - from autographed books to frame-tray puzzles to Halloween decor to neck ties - and learn why each exhibitor began their collection(s). Unsurprisingly, many of us - including many of you - began collecting as children. 

IMG_9833 (1).JPG

I never collected any Archie comics however I do admire someone who takes the time to complete a themed collection, well done.:golfclap:

Edited by tv horror

9 minutes ago, tv horror said:

I never collected any Archie comics however I do admire someone how takes the time to complete a themed collection, well done.:golfclap:

Thanks! It's still growing, as I keep finding items I've never seen before at antique stores, thrift stores, online resellers, etc. I'm definitely enjoying the hunt :x

I'm not sure if there is a complete list available, but a few Archie Comics collectibles have been featured in Board Games of the 50's, 60's & 70's: With Prices (1994, 2000), Collectible Television Memorabilia: With Value Guide (1997), Saturday Morning TV Collectibles: '60s '70s '80s (2000), and Aurora Model Kits (2004, 2006). 

3 hours ago, archiecomicscollector said:

I recently had part of my collection on display - as part of an internal "Things We Collect" exhibit - for my coworkers. It was very interesting to see the varied collections - from autographed books to frame-tray puzzles to Halloween decor to neck ties - and learn why each exhibitor began their collection(s). Unsurprisingly, many of us - including many of you - began collecting as children. 

IMG_9833 (1).JPG

Very cool display and collection. 

Is the dress even Archie themed?  That's some dedication!

Patrick

10 hours ago, Mickey7 said:

(A) Had to be my 1978 Death Star playset.  I remember having lots of fun with that toy.  It's long gone, however I do still have the original instructions from that playset, so I'm happy to have some tangible memory from it.

(B) I wanted lots of GI Joe toys I never was able to get.  Maybe my most wanted was the GI Joe headquarters.  I had to build my own back in 1985.(see pic below).

GIJoeFort85 - Copy.jpg

This lego Joe fort is so legit!

Looks like you intermixed some true Joe items too, like the sandbags, the Bivuouc, and the Flak.

Don't know why, but I love the old school pics as much as some of the old toys. 

Patrick

14 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Very cool display and collection. 

Is the dress even Archie themed?  That's some dedication!

Patrick

It is! I'm wearing B&V Faces Skater Dress and holding the 2-in-1 Pop Art Leather Bag from Betty and Veronica, an official Archie Comics clothing and accessories line. And the best part... the bag is the perfect size for digests! :banana: 

IMG_9877 (1).jpg

Edited by archiecomicscollector

On 7/3/2018 at 5:48 PM, archiecomicscollector said:

IMG_9833 (1).JPG

That looks like a store display. It takes show and tell to a whole new level. I only got into Archie with the new TV show. I vaguely remember seeing the old comics but don't remember buying one. At least I can't remember. The show is awesome though. Hopefully they come out with a few props from that diner.

On 7/3/2018 at 11:01 PM, DC|Marvel said:

I literally had a closet filled with cases and cases of this run. Thought I was going to be rich. That and the POTF release on orange/purple cards.  

I remember when my local KB Toys got in several shipments of POTF2 figures, clearancing them out at about $2 a pop. I bought several cases of them, because I figured with SW, they'd eventually pay off. And they did, more or less, but not to the extent I would have liked. (Really wish I'd held onto the Queen Amidala's cruisers, Falcons and AT-ATs I picked up in the same sale for about $20 a piece. My closet was crammed full of that stuff.)

12 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

That looks like a store display. It takes show and tell to a whole new level. I only got into Archie with the new TV show. I vaguely remember seeing the old comics but don't remember buying one. At least I can't remember. The show is awesome though. Hopefully they come out with a few props from that diner.

Thanks! I installed it myself and used a Halftone Archie Shower Curtain for the background. 

I'm also enjoying Riverdale! I've picked up a few collectibles from Hot Topic, including Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe Milkshake Glass

6 hours ago, archiecomicscollector said:

Thanks! I installed it myself and used a Halftone Archie Shower Curtain for the background. 

I'm also enjoying Riverdale! I've picked up a few collectibles from Hot Topic, including Pop's Chock'lit Shoppe Milkshake Glass

Thanks I never heard of that site before. I'll probably get one of those glasses myself.

Edit - Looks like I'm getting those glasses and a few other items. Thanks again.

Edited by GeneticNinja

On 7/5/2018 at 11:28 AM, F For Fake said:

I remember when my local KB Toys got in several shipments of POTF2 figures, clearancing them out at about $2 a pop. I bought several cases of them, because I figured with SW, they'd eventually pay off. And they did, more or less, but not to the extent I would have liked. (Really wish I'd held onto the Queen Amidala's cruisers, Falcons and AT-ATs I picked up in the same sale for about $20 a piece. My closet was crammed full of that stuff.)

I will say this though about that time period. Being able to drive around when and wherever you want was fantastic. And years of regret on opening all of my old SW figures etc. had built up. Plus add in the nostalgic factor and that is why so many of us went over board for those orange card POTF etc. 

I can not recall if there was a toy section in Wizard or if I was reading a collectible monthly toy magazine. But you would get all of the hot updates i.e. variant POTF orange card Boba Fett circles on hands, half circles, etc.

BUT something I have not thought about in along time; one of the greatest scores of all time. I happened to walk into a drug store of all places with a decent aisle of toys and ready for this ===> Scored not 1 but 2 short saber/long try Luke's and 1 Vader. I was so pumped. Can remember that feeling like yesterday.