• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don`t get why everybody loves Marvel`s Civil War and doesn`t love DC`s BvS?

193 posts in this topic

SHow doesn't hold up though. drags. too slow for todays world. that being said anything life action I loved. GOt a chance to meet Ferrigino but forgot he was deaf and pointed where not to sign an autograph and he ended up signing over my scott baio signature. Im still pissed
Out of all the comicbook shows that are on MeTV Saturday night, it's the only one I can actually watch (not counting the first season of Superman.) I could see if you said Season 3 of Wonder Woman. Those are virtually unwatchable now and I remember when they were new.

Agree that it's not a Marvel vs. DC thing. I have always enjoyed the Marvel movies more but there is one that IMO, cannot be beat (or at least not for a long time) and that for me is the Dark Knight Trilogy.

Honestly I think it comes down to this... and I know the OP very badly wants everyone to love BvS, and if HE loved it? If anyone loved it? They don't need to apologize. Shoot, I love the movie Ishtar (look it up kiddies - Also, check it out... it's really funny). Don't apologize for something you like.

That being said? You can't WILL people to like a flawed movie, or try to bring down a better movie to raise up a movie you like. Just like what you like and be happy.

That is a very solid recommendation.

Those stating people must be smoking crack or drunk because they liked BvS are doing the same thing as folks that call people out for hating on it. If you liked it - great. If you didn't - great.

Honestly I think it comes down to this... and I know the OP very badly wants everyone to love BvS, and if HE loved it? If anyone loved it? They don't need to apologize. Shoot, I love the movie Ishtar (look it up kiddies - Also, check it out... it's really funny). Don't apologize for something you like.

That being said? You can't WILL people to like a flawed movie, or try to bring down a better movie to raise up a movie you like. Just like what you like and be happy.

That is a very solid recommendation.

Those stating people must be smoking crack or drunk because they liked BvS are doing the same thing as folks that call people out for hating on it. If you liked it - great. If you didn't - great.

+2. All opinions are subjective. No one is right and no one is wrong. They are just opinions.

Anyone who thinks BvS is even in the same tier as any Marvel movie, let alone CW is smoking some serious crack.

And this is why some would think there is a bias. BvS is better than several of the Marvel movies. To think otherwise is odd to me.

Statements like these smack of a Marvel fanboy speaking, not someone who is truly objective about the movies.

IDK, to me the worst MCU movies (IMO IM3 & Thor 2) were still more watchable than BvS. The only super-hero movies I nearly walked out of before the credits rolled were ASM 2 and BvS...literally had to MAKE myself stay.

Agree that it's not a Marvel vs. DC thing. I have always enjoyed the Marvel movies more but there is one that IMO, cannot be beat (or at least not for a long time) and that for me is the Dark Knight Trilogy.

+3

I'm a Marvel guy in comics, but my favorite three superhero films are The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, and Batman Begins.

After seeing BvS three times in the cinema and upon reflection I knock it down a mark to 7/10.

I think Man of Steel is the better movie overall although that could change with the unrated version of BvS.

Once I finish my 24/7 support I will go see Civil War.

+3

I'm a Marvel guy in comics, but my favorite three superhero films are The Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, and Batman Begins.

I definitely think TDK is a better movie, but for some reason I can just can't turn off Batman Begins everytime it pops up, much more rewatchable for me.

I really don't think its about bias, BvS just had a lot of things that couldn't be overlooked. No movie is perfect, certainly not Marvel movies either, but cover their mistakes rather than turning into them.

"Yes, we only have 36hrs to do this thing, but we're gonna waste 24 of those hours doing this recruiting AND have a very convenient battle at a very convenient location with a very convenient outcome. But hey look at all these shiny characters and fight scenes! Yay! Please gloss over the convenience. Thank you for your cooperation."

vs.

"Yes we get that these dream sequences are a bit esoteric and are flimsy substitute for real plot development, and at best only 10% of the audience will know what is going on, so we're going to give you four more of those because we think you should be smart enough to figure it out, and if you're not, too bad."

Marvel realizes they can't make a perfect movie, but they're hoping the fun factor covers it up, and for the most part, it does. The people making the movies want as many people to 'smile' as possible as they watch the movies.

Some will argue this is 'easier', or 'simpler', but I would say despite the underlying tone, the MCU movies are pretty diverse in terms of the type of movies they're giving us.

And of course that's not the only successful way to make movies, even the Nolan Bat movies proved that. You can be complex, and dark, and hopeless, but the trick is writing a believable 'redemption' resolution angle, which occurred in the Nolan movies (to a lesser extent in the last one), and didn't happen in very organic ways (IMO) in the Snyder movies. But when you don't have the fun to cover the flaws, a lot more people will leave the theater with a bad taste in their mouth.

And when you throw in MULTIPLE instances of bad editing in BvS and MULTIPLE instances of bad sound editing in BvS, you're gonna get more pissed off critics. Also remember that RT is simply yes/no, and the critics are gonna weigh things like editing/sound more than a lot of fanboys. That doesn't make them more biased or bad critics, it just means they were less likely to find what they were looking for in BvS.

I think the reasons may be different for everyone, but to me it's like this:

Marvel movies are fun to go see. They tend to be way more lighthearted than most of the modern DC movies without being fluffy. I would not describe either the Batman trilogy or BvS as lighthearted or fun. Now, that's not to say that they weren't awesome movies, but 'fun' and 'awesome' are two completely different descriptors that perhaps translate a bit differently to the general public.

I liked both movies, but liked Cap better because the story flowed a lot better despite the fact that there were a bazillion different moving parts that had to all connect together in the right way. As a whole, I thought Cap was much more complete and coherent as a story, especially for non-comic folks that watched. BvS was far superior in the eye candy department (the look of the film overall), but to me, the movie lacked depth.

While there are a number of folks that consistently badmouth BvS, I think that most people liked the movie overall. But it seems obvious to me that they (DC & the film studio) still have some growing pains they need to work through. I don't think that it helps that they are trying to play catch-up with Marvel and feel the need to hurry things along. That's typically not a good plan for success.

I'm just happy as hell with all the comic-movie goodness, though. As long as they keep making them as entertaining as they are now, I'll keep on going.

For me, BvS was a far better film than Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Batman Forever and the FF movies, let alone the drek that included Ghost Rider 1-2, Jonah Hex, Batman & Robin & Catwoman.

Again, def. not a DC v. Marvel thing.

I actually think it was a lot like Watchmen in that it was a gutsy departure from the current typical superhero films but designed to appeal to comic book fanboys (ie., just 10% of the audience), while straight alienating the public at large with its uneven pacing, relentlessly grim dystopic views, poor editing, bizarre dream sequences and weird plot coincidences.

Good for comic fans? Sure - in the short run -- they got a refreshingly different ("adult") take on Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc.

But in the the long run it did irreparable damage to the chances we'll see a high quality fleshed out broader DC superhero universe and A-quality Justice League films.

i haven't seen Civil War, but BvS sucked (and i was so hyped after Man of Steel, which was great). Yeah, it had a few good scenes, but that's it. and they spoiled the entire movie during the previews. i already knew everything that happened.

I second that . you could feel his turmoil and the piano music was great

Aptly titled "The Lonely Man Theme." I loved watching the TV series with my parents, they loved it too.

iframe>

For me, BvS was a far better film than Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Spider-Man 3, Batman Forever and the FF movies, let alone the drek that included Ghost Rider 1-2, Jonah Hex, Batman & Robin & Catwoman.

How dare you forget the majesty called 'The Incredible Hulk'.