• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don`t get why everybody loves Marvel`s Civil War and doesn`t love DC`s BvS?

193 posts in this topic

Tony Stark's guilt over having made reckless decisions, his personal losses from his parents to his bad relationships and Pepper Potts being out of his life. Tony's views are shaped from a civilian background, wealth, influence and zero accountability. He never yielded to anyone's authority before which played heavily on his conscience when bad things happened due to decisions he made. I think he was looking for guidance and General Ross's UN resolution provided just the answer he was looking for.
Characters like Stark doing a 180°, behavior he's never exhibited before, seems purely convenient (for the story).

Dirty Harry suddenly champions the ACLU. The Lone Ranger rustles cattle for a living. Walter White joins the DEA. Sure. Could happen. (on Planet Pander, maybe)

What does make sense is Stark's arrogance level and one-ups-manship attitude. He decides and... You're on his side or the wrong side.

That, I could believe.

Tony Stark's guilt over having made reckless decisions, his personal losses from his parents to his bad relationships and Pepper Potts being out of his life. Tony's views are shaped from a civilian background, wealth, influence and zero accountability. He never yielded to anyone's authority before

1050.gif

Tony Stark's guilt over having made reckless decisions, his personal losses from his parents to his bad relationships and Pepper Potts being out of his life. Tony's views are shaped from a civilian background, wealth, influence and zero accountability. He never yielded to anyone's authority before which played heavily on his conscience when bad things happened due to decisions he made. I think he was looking for guidance and General Ross's UN resolution provided just the answer he was looking for.
Characters like Stark doing a 180°, behavior he's never exhibited before, seems purely convenient (for the story).

Dirty Harry suddenly champions the ACLU. The Lone Ranger rustles cattle for a living. Walter White joins the DEA. Sure. Could happen. (on Planet Pander, maybe)

What does make sense is Stark's arrogance level and one-ups-manship attitude. He decides and... You're on his side or the wrong side.

That, I could believe.

Behaviour has to be exhibited for the first time before before it can be repeated.

The logic of Civil War is pretty solid. It actually comes from two rational points of view that are complicated by personality conflicts.

So... you're saying, he's going to completely betray the one group that HAS accepted him despite his faults, in order to suddenly comply with a military he already understands as going against his own principals (he stopped making weapons for them)? Hasn't his history with the military been.. unsatisfying?

That seems inconsistent.

And this sudden discovery of parental need and responsibility includes recruiting a 15 year old BOY who's never even been battle tested to go to a foreign country (he didn't end up going, but he was prepared to take him) for a life and death battle he wasn't originally a part of?

With all due respect...you thought 'Martha' was implausible?

This movie is one of the best 2 1/2 hours of Marvelous entertainment any fan could want. Each character has a distinct personality and they're all dealing with complex issues.

Watch it again and every time Ant-Man talks, think 'Star-lord'. Very cookie cutter. Most of these characters are a curse word away from being Deadpool. Marvel understands how to make movies for the Big Bang Theory generation. Heavy themes. Hip jokes.

And those complex issues for Iron Man seem forced. They introduce the death of his parents as a convenient way to give him some kind of attachment issues (that never manifested itself over the 30+ years of whoring around the world), and then tie it in with the final battle scene in an unbelievable way that makes 'Martha' look genius.

Finally, it's thought provoking and hopeful, not dystopian. This is such a multi-faceted film that folks will undoubtably catch lots of tossed off lines and little things in repeated viewings that are easy to miss in a single screening (for instance, the Timely reference). I plan on seeing this film two or three times.

Hopeful?

Iron Man screwed over his friends, found out the truth about his parents and

put some of his former friends in jail, while leaving the others wanted by the law.

But hey, thanks for the letter Cap!

Captain America went from America's hero,

to a wanted man who had to put his best friend back into storage after having to admit to his Avengers buddy Stark that Yeah, he KNEW about what Bucky did. Now he has to break his friends out of federal super prison.

Hawkeye, Falcon, Ant-Man and Wanda are

in JAIL. Super JAIL

Iron Man's best friend is

CRIPPLED. But they included a good joke during his rehab, so it's all okay!

Vision is more confused about these humans than ever before....

Bucky is

in deep freeze, because he's UNCURED.

What is hopeful about all that?

I mean, really...take out the airport scene and this is the worst movie they've made. Horrible villain, lame resolution between both villain AND the 'civil war', and an ugly and unnecessary

tie between Stark and Winter Soldier, with a really, really downer of an ending.

Take out the wink wink jokes, and this movie is really glum.

And don't even get me started on the unrealistic concrete rolls these HUMAN heroes did throughout the movie....

If the next movie is Infinity War, then really, this movie was just a filler, as nothing is necessary for the team to come together again and battle Thanos and save the Earth. They essentially treaded ground. The movies are catching up with the comics now, as we get extra unnecessary storylines just to sell more product.

Tony Stark's guilt over having made reckless decisions, his personal losses from his parents to his bad relationships and Pepper Potts being out of his life. Tony's views are shaped from a civilian background, wealth, influence and zero accountability. He never yielded to anyone's authority before

1050.gif

lol

Iron Man, now operating under UN command thanks to signing onto the Accords, likely had to get a permission for engagement, before attacking. Hence why someone made mention of the fact that the airport had been evacuated. It was likely that Iron Man didn't have a permission to engage Cap's team until the evacuation was complete & only when that was done was he given the green light. That Cap was on the tarmac was convenient for Tony's team. It could have just as easily been in the terminal (except Cap's team wouldn't really have been able to exactly blend in in the terminal & had no intention of entering it)

But the reason that they were "conveniently" fighting in a place without worrying about civilian casualties was because I guarantee that Iron Man did not have permission to engage Cap's team until they were in a location without civilians present.

Doesn't it seem a bit out of character for Iron Man to 1)wait for permission to engage, and 2)to attack friends rather trying to understand why they're seemingly harboring a fugitive?

He literally just signed on to do just that: cede his impulsive nature to a higher authority for numerous reasons (pretty much an endless list of guilt that he has for every decision that hasn't worked out perfectly in the past decade). Finding out that he's acting without permission would entirely undermine the whole Accords like a day after they were put in place.

As for him attacking rather than trying to understand? Again, he's opted to cede his own decision making to superiors when it comes to when/where he takes action. His guilt has brought him to this point. If they say jump, he jumps now, so if someone gets hurt, he can at least keep his conscious clean in those instances. At least that's his reasoning. And the ending kinda shows that he's already having misgivings about its effectiveness.

The logic of Civil War is pretty solid. It actually comes from two rational points of view that are complicated by personality conflicts.

So... you're saying, he's going to completely betray the one group that HAS accepted him despite his faults, in order to suddenly comply with a military he already understands as going against his own principals (he stopped making weapons for them)? Hasn't his history with the military been.. unsatisfying?

That seems inconsistent.

And this sudden discovery of parental need and responsibility includes recruiting a 15 year old BOY who's never even been battle tested to go to a foreign country (he didn't end up going, but he was prepared to take him) for a life and death battle he wasn't originally a part of?

This movie is one of the best 2 1/2 hours of Marvelous entertainment any fan could want. Each character has a distinct personality and they're all dealing with complex issues.

Watch it again and every time Ant-Man talks, think 'Star-lord'. Very cookie cutter. Most of these characters are a curse word away from being Deadpool. Marvel understands how to make movies for the Big Bang Theory generation. Heavy themes. Hip jokes.

And those complex issues for Iron Man seem forced. They introduce the death of his parents as a convenient way to give him some kind of attachment issues (that never manifested itself over the 30+ years of whoring around the world), and then tie it in with the final battle scene in an unbelievable way that makes 'Martha' look genius.

Finally, it's thought provoking and hopeful, not dystopian. This is such a multi-faceted film that folks will undoubtably catch lots of tossed off lines and little things in repeated viewings that are easy to miss in a single screening (for instance, the Timely reference). I plan on seeing this film two or three times.

Hopeful?

put some of his former friends in jail, while leaving the others wanted by the law.

to a wanted man who had to put his best friend back into storage after having to admit to his Avengers buddy Stark that Yeah, he KNEW about what Bucky did. Now he has to break his friends out of federal super prison.

in JAIL. Super JAIL

Bucky is

I mean, really...take out the airport scene and this is the worst movie they've made. Horrible villain, lame resolution between both villain AND the 'civil war', and an ugly and unnecessary

tie between Stark and Winter Soldier, with a really, really downer of an ending.

And don't even get me started on the unrealistic concrete rolls these HUMAN heroes did throughout the movie....

If the next movie is Infinity War, then really, this movie was just a filler, as nothing is necessary for the team to come together again and battle Thanos and save the Earth. They essentially treaded ground. The movies are catching up with the comics now, as we get extra unnecessary storylines just to sell more product.

I'm so glad you pointed all this out. I thought maybe it was me.

We went to see it tonight and because of the timing, we wound up seeing it in 3D. I spent the whole movie wondering why they would do such a horrible job on the Vision's makeup? The infinity gem looked like something kids paste on their nails and the "silver" on his head was wavy, the makeup artist was not very good.

It was depressing, the best part was Aunt May. She went from old to hot, that was nice.

Spidey was annoying, his voice was driving me crazy and I LOVED the other Marvel Movies. I LOVED the first two Captain America movies. I might be a DC fan, but Avengers 1 might be one of my all time favorite movies...but this was another "just OK" Avengers movie, same as Ultron, and it was too busy. My husband kept saying there were too many characters.

Luckily we were the only ones in the theater so I could keep telling him who everyone was.

Which to me, means...if you haven't much of a background on the stories, you are going to get lost.

My take on BVS was, it was dark and depressing. There were some great parts and some parts that made no sense, like the Martha bit. Wonder Woman was much better than expected and Ben Affleck was as good as I expected him to be (I remember all the moaning when he was cast;)

So, I liked them both a medium amount, and would probably watch them again to see if I missed anything.

I didn't mind the Martha bit in BvS. I think Batman stopped fighting because he learned that Lex was blackmailing Superman to fight. The Martha bit simply put him in the frame of mind to stop for a moment and take in that information.

One thing I noticed about Civil War is that at this point you had better be caught up with past events in MCU movies to really be able to follow along. I'm sure by now most of the audience knows who is who but if not you could be in for the constant "Who's that?" asked by the wife and kids.

One thing I noticed about Civil War is that at this point you had better be caught up with past events in MCU movies to really be able to follow along. I'm sure by now most of the audience knows who is who but if not you could be in for the constant "Who's that?" asked by the wife husband and kids.

Fixed;)

That seems inconsistent.

Hopeful?

in JAIL. Super JAIL

Bucky is

Well, we must've been watching different movies based on your impressions or maybe you're in a super brown funk from BvS dystopia hang-over. While the events you've described took place (in a manner of speaking) our take on them is totally different. Rather than going point by point I'll just say my take on Tony Stark and Cap is somewhat different from your's.

I thought the dialog was great and didn't see any character inconsistencies. Spidey was fine; the biggest surprise was a younger Aunt May. Martha didn't get a cameo, but Stan Lee's line was funny. The pacing was tight, each character, including female superheroes, got screen time and good lines. Apparently, the movie you saw didn't connect and the one I saw did.

The theater we were in was nearly three quarters full on a Tuesday mid-afternoon showing. As the end-credits started to roll, there was spontaneous applause from the satisfied audience ...which is a rarity at movies anymore! Me, my wife and two friends who joined us for the screening all enjoyed Civil War thoroughly and discussed the film for nearly an hour afterwards. This is a stellar Marvel Studios production and will be a "must add" to my Blu-ray collection.

Sorry you didn't like it, but don't be surprised if it rakes in 1.2 billion plus in grosses at the box office, ...deservedly so, in my estimation. ca.gif

That seems inconsistent.

Hopeful?

in JAIL. Super JAIL

Bucky is

Well, we must've been watching different movies based on your impressions or maybe you're in a super brown funk from BvS dystopia hang-over. While the events you've described took place (in a manner of speaking) our take on them is totally different. Rather than going point by point I'll just say my take on Tony Stark and Cap is somewhat different from your's.

I thought the dialog was great and didn't see any character inconsistencies. Spidey was fine; the biggest surprise was a younger Aunt May. Martha didn't get a cameo, but Stan Lee's line was funny. The pacing was tight, each character, including female superheroes, got screen time and good lines. Apparently, the movie you saw didn't connect and the one I saw did.

The theater we were in was nearly three quarters full on a Tuesday mid-afternoon showing. As the end-credits started to roll, there was spontaneous applause from the satisfied audience ...which is a rarity at movies anymore! Me, my wife and two friends who joined us for the screening all enjoyed Civil War thoroughly and discussed the film for nearly an hour afterwards. This is a stellar Marvel Studios production and will be a "must add" to my Blu-ray collection.

Sorry you didn't like it, but don't be surprised if it rakes in 1.2 billion plus in grosses at the box office, ...deservedly so, in my estimation. ca.gif

Applause at various points during my showing as well, including the end. :applause:

Everyone ends up in a bad way and that's how it ends.

Not sure how that was applause worthy.

I love seeing these characters on the screen. I just prefer a real story, a real villain, and a proper resolution. Like the first Avengers movie.

This didn't have that. I thought it was a decent movie, but... I just don't understand this 'greatest Marvel movie yet" train of thought.

my thoughts

Just finished watching Cap yesterday, hate the excuse "He's my friend" from Cap. What about all those that fought along your side these past couple years, they are not your friends?

Seb is not in his mind when he did all those horrible things so it is not his fault? This is like letting those shooting maniacs recently in the news live freely after what they did. "They are mentally ill, that's not who they are etc..." common, look how easy it is to manipulate Seb; you don't know when he is in killing spree again. He belongs in jail. Let the team go after those in Russia and lock up Seb.

BvS portends to take itself incredibly & deadly serious which makes the acceptance of implausible plot points very hard to swallow and borderline laughable.

The implausibilities in CW are generally accepted/overlooked because it does not take itself so seriously, and at times, overtly makes fun of itself.

That, in a nutshell, is why BvS was a borderline terrible movie to me.