• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don`t get why everybody loves Marvel`s Civil War and doesn`t love DC`s BvS?

193 posts in this topic

Honestly I think it comes down to this... and I know the OP very badly wants everyone to love BvS, and if HE loved it? If anyone loved it? They don't need to apologize. Shoot, I love the movie Ishtar (look it up kiddies - Also, check it out... it's really funny). Don't apologize for something you like.

That being said? You can't WILL people to like a flawed movie, or try to bring down a better movie to raise up a movie you like. Just like what you like and be happy.

Here's how I see it.

DC has KILLED IT on the TV Universe. Fabulous. But they made a choice not to connect that to its cinematic universe. Fine.

DC KILLED IT with the Nolan trilogy. However, it wasn't a set of movies that they felt were something they could use for universe building. So while they were being universally lauded, they were also falling incredibly far behind Marvel who was carefully building a universe on all fronts. Movies, TV, even streaming now.

The end result?

When we get a movie like Civil War - which was phenomenal... every beat in that movie is earned. Every small character moment is something that calls back to something we know about that CINEMATIC version of that character. We understand WHY these conflicts happen, and HOW these personalities could come to this. The have weight to them. Yes, those of us who love the comics know even more in the background... but increasingly with such a rich cinematic history... it's less and less important to know that. You can know Steve Rogers from the hours you've seen him on screen. You know Tony Stark too. When they fight in this movie, you don't want them to lose their friendship. Like I said it's well earned.

BvS? Any depth to that movie we as comic fans had to BRING to it from our knowledge of the comic characters... because otherwise we're getting it from very limited screen time and not much else. The Batman Superman fight is resolved because their mothers are both named Martha? I mean honestly... I love the characters. I thought Affleck was a great Batman. But it's hard to argue that movie had any of the real impact of Civil War. And certainly not for people who just are basing it on the movies.

I do believe that Civil War is the movie Zack Snyder THOUGHT he was making with BvS... but because of the great success of TV and the Nolan trilogy they tried to skip all the steps Marvel took to get to the place where they could make that movie. And that's why on a number of levels it was a let down.

Was it still fun to see those characters on the screen? Sure. But was it a disappointment? To me it was. If it wasn't to you? Great. You're lucky. But, no OP, I don't think there's any Marvel vs DC bias. I just think that you perhaps have such a love for the DC characters that you're bringing that knowledge and love to the viewing of BvS and seeing more than what was on the screen... and that's why your reaction to it was different than many others who looked at it on it's own merits. But like I said, you're entitled to do that, and if you enjoyed it, I think that's great.

I'm a big Marvel fanboy and I did enjoy BvS but It had a whole slew of plot holes and jumping around.

I won't complain too much about either because when I was growing up, these were the super hero movies out:

fan1.jpg

2.jpg

My generation had Bill Bixby, Peter Hooten and Nicholas Hammond. (:

Honestly I think it comes down to this... and I know the OP very badly wants everyone to love BvS, and if HE loved it? If anyone loved it? They don't need to apologize. Shoot, I love the movie Ishtar (look it up kiddies - Also, check it out... it's really funny). Don't apologize for something you like.

That being said? You can't WILL people to like a flawed movie, or try to bring down a better movie to raise up a movie you like. Just like what you like and be happy.

Here's how I see it.

DC has KILLED IT on the TV Universe. Fabulous. But they made a choice not to connect that to its cinematic universe. Fine.

DC KILLED IT with the Nolan trilogy. However, it wasn't a set of movies that they felt were something they could use for universe building. So while they were being universally lauded, they were also falling incredibly far behind Marvel who was carefully building a universe on all fronts. Movies, TV, even streaming now.

The end result?

When we get a movie like Civil War - which was phenomenal... every beat in that movie is earned. Every small character moment is something that calls back to something we know about that CINEMATIC version of that character. We understand WHY these conflicts happen, and HOW these personalities could come to this. The have weight to them. Yes, those of us who love the comics know even more in the background... but increasingly with such a rich cinematic history... it's less and less important to know that. You can know Steve Rogers from the hours you've seen him on screen. You know Tony Stark too. When they fight in this movie, you don't want them to lose their friendship. Like I said it's well earned.

BvS? Any depth to that movie we as comic fans had to BRING to it from our knowledge of the comic characters... because otherwise we're getting it from very limited screen time and not much else. The Batman Superman fight is resolved because their mothers are both named Martha? I mean honestly... I love the characters. I thought Affleck was a great Batman. But it's hard to argue that movie had any of the real impact of Civil War. And certainly not for people who just are basing it on the movies.

I do believe that Civil War is the movie Zack Snyder THOUGHT he was making with BvS... but because of the great success of TV and the Nolan trilogy they tried to skip all the steps Marvel took to get to the place where they could make that movie. And that's why on a number of levels it was a let down.

Was it still fun to see those characters on the screen? Sure. But was it a disappointment? To me it was. If it wasn't to you? Great. You're lucky. But, no OP, I don't think there's any Marvel vs DC bias. I just think that you perhaps have such a love for the DC characters that you're bringing that knowledge and love to the viewing of BvS and seeing more than what was on the screen... and that's why your reaction to it was different than many others who looked at it on it's own merits. But like I said, you're entitled to do that, and if you enjoyed it, I think that's great.

This sums up my feelings perfectly. Well said.

I really do not understand the statements after Civil War about Marvel being a kiddie universe. .

'Cause anything that doesn't feature glum, constipated, dystopian characters & tone must be for the "kiddies".

Mature themes must be consistently dark & grim. :shy:

Bixbys hulk had the most haunting and memorable score of any superhero movie or tv past or present

It definitely went with that 'loner' atmosphere of the show, where he was always a man on the run. As a kid, that always made me feel for Banner more than any of the average shows of that time.

There's a reason that show lasted 82 episodes. Solid casting and good storytelling.

BvS characters were 2 dimensional. Marvel films the characters have life. I think that's the main reason. Aside from the more exciting scenes.

Can't speak for BvS vs. Civil War yet because I haven't seen the latter, but it's not just a DC vs. Marvel thing.

I actually saw The Amazing Spider-Man back to back with the Dark Knight Rises back when they first came out.

And there was no comparison between the two.

I liked Garfield's take on Spider-Man, enjoyed the scenes with the Lizard and vastly preferred it to Spider-Man 3.

But it was a 2.5 star "meh" movie relative to the Dark Knight Rises, which was operatic in scope and made Bane a scarier and more compelling villain than he'd been even in Knightfall -- particularly after his pathetic portrayal in Batman & Robin.

Quality matters. There was nothing *wrong* with The Amazing Spider-Man, even if it didn't reach the heights of Spider-Man or Spider-Man 2.

But The Dark Knight Rises blew it away on almost every level, and I've never felt the need to re-watch The Amazing Spider-Man, whereas I own The Dark Knight Rises.

Bane or 'Mumbles' as I call him wasn't scary at all-I burst out laughing at most of his scenes.

Here's another reason....in BvS you feel like they're just there for the movie and don't exist outside of it...in civil war you feel like they exist before and after the movie is over and are actually involved in other activities between movies.

Honestly, after trying to explain the reasoning behind how B v S was a disappointment to myself so many other people I've decided some the people who like the movie have their reasons and nothing anyone says will convince them otherwise.

I was blown away by Civil War. Honestly it's everything I could expect from a Super Hero movie. Story, Character, Emotion, Humor, Action. All of it feels relevant to the story. There are literally layers upon layers of successful story telling happening at the same time.Really great stuff.On top of that a twist ending.

B v S was Zack Snyder doing his take on the "Dark Knight" trilogy. It has no life to it.It was formulaic and dull. There were decent scenes but they were overtaken by the depressing entirety of the movie. Just really disappointing over-all. I'm a huge fan of both DC and Marvel.

It was Snyder trying to force feed the audience his ideas about beloved characters. Chris Nolan's movies were successful because they stayed true to the character and they were fun. Man of Steel and B v S are anything but fun.

If you like them great, just understand why other people dont. It was nothing to do with "bias". I actually thing the best thing DC could do right now is have Marvel Studios make their movies for them. :)

You know what I don't get?

...how ANYONE, especially anyone who is a member of this message board, could POSSIBLY think IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM that BvS is a better movie than Civil War.

Honestly, it makes me not want to leave the house that people are THAT out of touch with reality.

I feel the same way. It's the Star Wars prequel arguments all over again.

SHow doesn't hold up though. drags. too slow for todays world. that being said anything life action I loved. GOt a chance to meet Ferrigino but forgot he was deaf and pointed where not to sign an autograph and he ended up signing over my scott baio signature. Im still pissed