• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I don`t get why everybody loves Marvel`s Civil War and doesn`t love DC`s BvS?

193 posts in this topic

Must be bias. It's impossible people liked one a lot more than the other.

Absolutely not. I have just as much respect for DC as I do for Marvel, and I care just as much that DC gets their Extended Universe up and running as I do that the MCU succeeds.

Characters like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Joker... These are all legendary pop culture characters who have some hits and some misses in film, but deserve to become film legends as well. I want to be telling my friends how terrified I was of the Joker or how inspired I was by Wonder Woman, or how Batman gave me chills and Superman taught me a legitimate lesson through his actions.

That's all true. I made none of that up.

But they haven't done that for me yet, and Marvel has. I walk away from almost every Marvel movie feeling like I've grown a little bit, but with DC, it's either been awesome one-off successes (the Batman movies) or utter disappointment (BvS) or just indifference (Green Lantern, Mos).

DC can do it too, they just haven't quite struck the magical formula yet.

Also, I just want to point out I don't think Civil War was perfect. I heavily disagree with some of the story choices, and left a little sour because of that, and Zemo felt irrelevant to me, However, I do think they did a grand job overall.

As Vincent said to Jules, "It's the little things."

Five things that immediately come to mind

• 1 - Sam Wilson and Bucky nodding the nod after Cap kisses Agent 13
    2 - The scene between Tony Stark and Aunt May
    3 - The characters actually seem to be enjoying themselves rather than seeing using powers as something they must reluctantly do.
    4 - The exchanges between Bucky and Sam, "Can you move up your seat?" "Why couldn't you do that before? I hate you."
    5 - And finally Paul Rudd, because as Seth and Amy said, "Everyone loves Paul Rudd."

bud-light-paul-rudd-super-bowl-l-168375-640x320.jpg

I just don`t get why one is universally loved,while the other isn`t?

It's all a matter of opinion. It's difficult to rationalize taste because it's all subjective.

I'm with the majority on this one though. I thought BvS was terrible and Civil War was excellent; a 3 out of 10 versus an 8 out of 10, in my opinion.

I would give this one a 9 out of 10. Would have liked to do 10/10, but I think I'm starting to suffer from Iron Man/Cap/Black Widow fatigue. The best thing about this movie for me was the newer characters. (worship) Black Panther. (worship) Ant Man. Spider-Man was good, it just seemed like they shoe-horned him in. I would loved to see more of the Vision, but I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I guess I'm on the other end of the spectrum for B vs S. I gave it an 8 out of 10 in the poll here, and would probably do so again. Definitely not as good as Civil War, but I'm excited for the potential that's there in the DC universe. C'mon Suicide Squad, don't let me down!

I really do not understand the statements after Civil War about Marvel being a kiddie universe. The plot was anything but kiddie, nothing was black or white in this film. Nobody in it was 100% right or wrong, you could argue everyone was right from a particular point of view. This is very different from any film yet in the Marvel Universe where the bad guy was very clearly bad. Even Zemo here was not justified in his actions, but was justified in his feelings and emotions.

I saw the movie with several kids ranging in age from about 7 up to 13 years old. From talking with them after, they all had some difficulty getting past or understanding the amount a grey presented in CW. They all wanted to say Captain America was clearly the winner. I did not see it that way at all.

As for the humor that some here love to point out as immature. I found most of that humor very well used in this film, as well as being used differently than Marvel has used it before. Much of the ending was very somber, but just as that mood was about to become depressing, the writers expertly threw in a one liner. It was done with both Stan Lee's cameo and in the final phone conversation between Tony and Cap. Just enough to let those serious character beets to occur, but needed to keep the movie fun.

I really do not understand the statements after Civil War about Marvel being a kiddie universe. The plot was anything but kiddie, nothing was black or white in this film. Nobody in it was 100% right or wrong, you could argue everyone was right from a particular point of view. This is very different from any film yet in the Marvel Universe where the bad guy was very clearly bad. Even Zemo here was not justified in his actions, but was justified in his feelings and emotions.

I saw the movie with several kids ranging in age from about 7 up to 13 years old. From talking with them after, they all had some difficulty getting past or understanding the amount a grey presented in CW. They all wanted to say Captain America was clearly the winner. I did not see it that way at all.

As for the humor that some here love to point out as immature. I found most of that humor very well used in this film, as well as being used differently than Marvel has used it before. Much of the ending was very somber, but just as that mood was about to become depressing, the writers expertly threw in a one liner. It was done with both Stan Lee's cameo and in the final phone conversation between Tony and Cap. Just enough to let those serious character beets to occur, but needed to keep the movie fun.

So far, Zemo is the only villain in any Marvel movie who has "won" and accomplished his goal. He sought to tear the Avengers apart. He succeeded.

Both great movies.

Tons of action.

Both had sad and happy moments.

Both had great villains.

The only thing I can think of is there is a bias against DC movies.

Kind of like Apple gurus dissing everything else

You forgot: one had great directors. The other had a director who sucks.

Not more complicated than that.

Both great movies.

Tons of action.

Both had great villains.

Kind of like Apple gurus dissing everything else

You forgot: one had great directors. The other had a director who sucks.

Not more complicated than that.

Uh oh. This thread is going to go all "One Day at a Time" with all the Snyder purists now.

:ohnoez:

3... 2... 1

"He did direct The Watchmen," "He did direct 300."

It always leads to how innovative "Suckerpunch" was. lol

Absolutely not. I have just as much respect for DC as I do for Marvel, and I care just as much that DC gets their Extended Universe up and running as I do that the MCU succeeds.

Characters like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Joker... These are all legendary pop culture characters who have some hits and some misses in film, but deserve to become film legends as well. I want to be telling my friends how terrified I was of the Joker or how inspired I was by Wonder Woman, or how Batman gave me chills and Superman taught me a legitimate lesson through his actions.

But they haven't done that for me yet, and Marvel has. I walk away from almost every Marvel movie feeling like I've grown a little bit, but with DC, it's either been awesome one-off successes (the Batman movies) or utter disappointment (BvS) or just indifference (Green Lantern, Mos).

Your sarcasm detector is on the fritz. :baiting:

Both great movies.

Tons of action.

Both had great villains.

Kind of like Apple gurus dissing everything else.

in BvS I was getting bored until the last 40 minutes or so...in Civil War I was only bored for a bit at the beginning. Oh, and DC makes great TV shows about Superheroes and crappy movies...Marvel makes crappy TV shows (network tv) and great movies.

Both great movies.

Tons of action.

Both had great villains.

in BvS I was getting bored until the last 40 minutes or so...in Civil War I was only bored for a bit at the beginning. Oh, and DC makes great TV shows about Superheroes and crappy movies...Marvel makes crappy TV shows (network tv) and great movies.

Agree DC shows are far better than Marvel. Shield has greatly improved but just lacks something I can not put my finger on. Agent Carter is actually very good, but is likely to get canceled because not many people agree with me. I will really miss Haley Atwell as that character.

Your sarcasm detector is on the fritz. :baiting:

lol it absolutely is. I formally apologize and turn in my nerd card :whee:

Just my opinion but here are some points I came up with on why I liked one over the other:

BvS had almost nothing exciting happen at all in the first half and the end was jam packed with shaky, grainy cgi...no real balance to the movie.

-SUPER irritating Lex Luthor and badly designed and executed Doomsday...bad villains.

-Really strange jarring score with oddly placed crescendos

-Badly integrated cameos from rest of JL...stupid looking Flash

Civil War surely wasn't perfect but the action was well-spaced throughout the 2.5 hours. Zemo was kind of lame...Crossbones was only OK...still I wasn't as bothered by them as Lex and Doomy.

Fight scenes were better choreographed/more fun to watch with more "ooph!" moments. AND everything was much easier to see even considering the supper jumpy camera in the chase scene through the marketplace.

- Score was much more appropriate.

Plot was much more coherent than BvS...no stupid dream sequences where I couldn't guess what was going on.

Both great movies.

Tons of action.

Both had great villains.

Agree DC shows are far better than Marvel. Shield has greatly improved but just lacks something I can not put my finger on. Agent Carter is actually very good, but is likely to get canceled because not many people agree with me. I will really miss Haley Atwell as that character.

Whilst AoS is decent (and as good as Arrow), it pales compared to Flash. However, Daredevil stands head and shoulders above most things, superhero or not.

A superb piece of TV goodness that leaps across genres and target audiences.

So far, Zemo is the only villain in any Marvel movie who has "won" and accomplished his goal. He sought to tear the Avengers apart. He succeeded.

Another great point. Villains in comic movies always go big an lose. Zemo went small and won.