• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
21 21

4,496 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2021 at 11:28 AM, F For Fake said:

I worked at a comic shop about 25 years ago, and we had a guy that would call the shop, that we eventually dubbed "The Furry Guy". He'd ask if we had "any furry books" (and this was before I really knew what that meant). He'd ask us if we had Shanda the Panda or Gold Digger or whatever, which was fine, but then he'd ask us to describe the covers to him and then he'd...start breathing heavily. We eventually learned to recognize the voice so if he called we'd just cut him off and say "We have lots of books, come into the shop and take a look!" So, when I think of any of these books, or furry fans, I think of this guy. Anyway, yeah, there are some, uh, devoted fans out there.

(And hey, no kink-shaming here. I just think it's funny.)

Screenshot_20211207-154126_Brave.jpg

On 12/7/2021 at 3:41 PM, Wolverinex said:

Screenshot_20211207-154126_Brave.jpg

When a man and a woman, or a man and a man, or a woman and a woman, or really any combination of people, love each other VERY much, they go down to the local Joann's Fabrics stores with a fistful of fursuit patterns and a twinkle in their eye...

On 12/7/2021 at 3:46 PM, F For Fake said:

When a man and a woman, or a man and a man, or a woman and a woman, or really any combination of people, love each other VERY much, they go down to the local Joann's Fabrics stores with a fistful of fursuit patterns and a twinkle in their eye...

Fascinating.  I learn something everyday from CGC boards. 

Found another copy this weekend. I horde these like no other.
Very difficult to find any of the set honestly. Should be a monster
in a few 5 to 10 years or less due to Rule of 25 & Circulation number
of nothing 6k I think and are marked for less apparently due to Chomichrons
numbers so 7k might be a closer number. Either way you got a low print run
books with built in demand from an age group.

call1f.thumb.jpg.d585711f4ae7250da6a550befb6de0f2.jpg

Edited by fastballspecial

On 12/8/2021 at 1:33 PM, fastballspecial said:

Found another copy this weekend. I horde these like no other.
Very difficult to find any of the set honestly. Should be a monster
in a few 5 to 10 years or less due to Rule of 25 & Circulation number
of nothing 6k I think and are marked for less apparently due to Chomichrons
numbers so 7k might be a closer number. Either way you got a low print run
books with built in demand from an age group.

call1f.thumb.jpg.d585711f4ae7250da6a550befb6de0f2.jpg

I think there is one other!

Patrick

Found this today in a random long box from a collection that I bought earlier in the year. I just looked it up because it looked cool and I had never seen it before. Apparently it’s a band and was only available in a record album. None on eBay and only one has sold (for $67 with creases). 

4132BD64-EE62-4FBB-BB7A-D869C3DF3461.jpeg

On 12/9/2021 at 10:14 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Found this today in a random long box from a collection that I bought earlier in the year. I just looked it up because it looked cool and I had never seen it before. Apparently it’s a band and was only available in a record album. None on eBay and only one has sold (for $67 with creases). 

Wow. That brings back some memories. Yeah, it's a band. Never bought the album or the comic (was converting to mostly digital at that time), but knew about it. Totally forgot about it.

On 12/9/2021 at 9:14 AM, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

That's probably a pretty niche collectible, but yeah, those are real hard to find. I've never actually seen one personally. If they were just included with the record, that would be one thing, but -- as far as I know -- they were actually only distributed as part of the preorder package for the Zombie EP. The band had expressed a desire to have the comic sold through traditional comic retailers and/or via Hot Topic, but I don't think either of those efforts ever actually panned out.

Congrats, tough book, and condition looks nice on that copy, too.

On 9/11/2021 at 7:44 PM, Wolverinex said:

Finally found another Solar 10 first print in the wild. 1 dollar box at a used bookstore.  I then proceeded to grab a big batch valiant books along with it.  Most of these books are NM. 

@valiantman how did I do? Sadly no  Harbingers 20210911_203911.thumb.jpg.85ac2007b009b680d1d1b17f368438bc.jpg

WOW! So much nostalgia with those for me...LOVE

On 12/10/2021 at 6:46 AM, Kathoom said:

Reminds me that Coheed & Cambria put out their own comics too (thumbsu

A lot of them, too! Not counting variants: two series of five books each at Image, then two series of 12 books each at Boom! Plus the Sketchbook (effectively Amory Wars #0), which is absolutely one of the hardest pieces for a full collection.

The variants, though, are pretty interesting. Sure, there are the normal types of variants -- ratio incentives and (more or less) retailer exclusives, especially for the Boom! books -- but the weird ones are back in the two Image runs. Image co-published the book with Evil Ink, Coheed and Cambria's pet publishing project company. For the first series of Amory Wars, all five books exist as normal Image books and as Image/Evil Ink books (with the Image logo at top left, and the Evil Ink logo at bottom right). For volume 2, it's even stranger; the Evil Ink versions have that logo in place of the Image logo at the upper left corner! I believe the Evil Ink editions largely sold via Coheed and Cambria's merchandising, and the Image ones through the traditional direct market. That doesn't make any of them easy to find. That's especially also true of the volume 4 #1 Tour Edition virgin cover, which MCS doesn't even have listed at this time.

Especially for DC books that only date back to 2012, all five issues of this miniseries are pretty close to being ghosts, and not without reason. Although 2012 saw some of the best sales for comics in general in over a decade, Previews orders for the first three of these books were all under 5k copies apiece. At 4253 orders placed, #3 barely made it into the top 300 titles ordered for its month. There's no record of #4 or #5 in Comichron's listings, so they were likely out of the top 300 entirely, and quite likely below 4000 orders placed. With no newsstand distribution, and very likely minimal overseas sales, I don't expect total print runs to be too much higher.

To the extent that these show up at all, midgrade copies in the 6.0-7.0 range are the norm. These three are actually fairly nice copies. The #3 and #4 here both have some trauma to the LR corner, most of which probably would press out if I were so inclined. #5 is a reasonably clean book. Demand for this title has never been particularly great, and its sort of awkward caring about Blizzard-based stuff right now given that company's current situation, but I'm always happy to rescue cheap, high grade copies of the series from their obscurity.

PXL_20211215_064526683.jpg

On 12/15/2021 at 7:19 AM, Wolverinex said:

@fastballspecial

How did I do with these newsstands? I only got the kidsn play newsstand because of you. 

20211215_081721.jpg

Any Kid N Play book in good shape is a good find. Now it was 92, so newsstand were still decent print runs, but that title is really hard to for just about any issue. I never see it. I cant remember the last time I saw an issue 1 either.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 12/15/2021 at 11:00 AM, fastballspecial said:

Any Kid N Play book in good shape is a good find. Now it was 92, so newsstand were still decent print runs, but that title is really hard to for just about any issue. I never see it. I cant remember the last time I saw an issue 1 either.

I think newsstands are close to parity with DM on this title, or maybe a bit less common. They're not a crazy chase-rarity ratio like for some later books. That said, this whole series rarely shows up anywhere, in either printing. So "equal or a bit less common" than "fairly scarce" is still tough to find, and this is one of those titles where the default condition seems to be "beaten to death with a shovel" to boot.

Also, while I've seen perhaps a half-dozen #1 in the last few years, I ... don't actually think I ever knew this series went to 9 issues. I just looked up the run, and that "Marvel Madness" cover for #9 isn't the least bit familiar to me. The fact that there are all of three copies on ebay at the moment (for the record: 1 DM, 2 newsstands -- although one of those is currently in the Netherlands!) suggests I'm not alone in that.