• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

As for chuck being out of stock, if he has the book why not just price it at 20x fmv? I'm talking about minor books like black lightning 1 and rom 1 he is out of stock on.

Anyway, I don't want to argue with you. Your premise seems faulty. I'm not too obsessed with guestimated circulation numbers either, I just eyeball how,many copies are for sale, have sold, etc.

Because he/they would have to do that with every book. They are not good at keeping up on trends and the internet means the minute something is announced there is someone on their website buying it before the inflation. It's easier to keep the flippers from buying 5 hot books and limit it to two and say you're out of stock if the rest. Then you "get a new buyout" and you have more at the new inflated market price.

I don't think they are holding drek on purpose. It's just that nobody wants the drek until they are on tv or whatever the kids like these days.

Edited by ygogolak

Awean, I have no idea if those mid 80s last issues "appreciated" in the late 80s (my spare money was going to less dorkly pursuits then), but they weren't last issues because nobody was buying the series, they were last issues because of a reboot. And they were dollar (or less) box books later. I don't see how those minimal flips (what were they, $5?), provided a motivation to cash starved dealers (and everyone was hurting) to bet their rent money 10 years later getting extras of dead, not rebooted, titles, in the hopes that in a couple of years they could mark them up. I understand there is no secret that some last issues are hard to find (star wars 107, vampi, ji joe, transformers.. and have commanded premiums, but most did not. You are trying to imply that there are tons of the hard to find issues we are talking about because Chuck "let it out of the bag" years earlier, but if there was, ebay would show it. It is going to be issue by issue, of course, not every title was cancelled with a 6k print run. Some were plenty higher. Of course, 6k doesn't seem THAT LOW nowadays. Static 45 might be really hard to find, but many of the others are not. Even if only 1/3 survived, the Internet will bring copies to market.

you should be more productive by listing more items on eBay than jump through hoops trying to explain to us what's the definition of a final issue and its reasoning for termination.

Youve asked for examples and I gave you plenty. You don't agree. Great. You win.

I have no desire spinning this thread further off topic than it already has.

It seems you do, despite several thread contributors asking for it to go back on track.

So sorry. No soup for you. Next!

As for chuck being out of stock, if he has the book why not just price it at 20x fmv? I'm talking about minor books like black lightning 1 and rom 1 he is out of stock on.

Anyway, I don't want to argue with you. Your premise seems faulty. I'm not too obsessed with guestimated circulation numbers either, I just eyeball how,many copies are for sale, have sold, etc.

Because he/they would have to do that with every book. They are not good at keeping up on trends and the internet means the minute something is announced there is someone on their website buying it before the inflation. It's easier to keep the flippers from buying 5 hot books and limit it to two and say you're out of stock if the rest. Then you "get a new buyout" and you have more at the new inflated market price.

I don't think they are holding drek on purpose. It's just that nobody wants the drek until they are on tv or whatever the kids like these days.

Cool, thanks for contributing to the list. (thumbs u

That's not how Mile High does things. If you don't believe me, there are plenty of threads on here complaining about things like quantities being restricted after the order went through and prices jumping substantially when the buyer looked again.

correct. I remember chuck telling us he spends $1000 a day on buying back inventory and that he has no time to list books. And that was in the 80s. He truly has more product than he has labor force.

Okay, here are a few more books:

Avengers: Death Trap, The Vault - I bought the only copy I've seen

Venom: Deathtrap: The Vault - I saw a copy of this reprint before I found the original, but it was overpriced

Incredible Hulk vs. Venom - I bought the only copy I've seen

Spider-Man Special Edition - Never seen it, though I don't particularly expect to, considering what it is

That's not how Mile High does things. If you don't believe me, there are plenty of threads on here complaining about things like quantities being restricted after the order went through and prices jumping substantially when the buyer looked again.

Here's one with MHC not filling a multi copy order

BONUS

Copper final issue (which should really top my list)

The illusive Vampirella #113

This one doesnt exist as far as Im concerned.

Just agree that it doesnt exist!!!

My copy: :acclaim:

sKkMEz.jpg

Looked for a long time to find a 1st print of this book

1Vv6ebQl.jpg

???

How is that a "1st print?"

1st print of that edition!

Yeah I can see the issue here since this is the one shot edition of the original 1995 which I have never found either.

I could have phrased it better I guess. I always thought the white cover was the 2nd print of this book, but its not its a 2nd print of the 1995 book. Hope that's clear as mud. :insane:

I lucked out and found a first edition for I think $28 at a used bookstore last year. I found this edition that is quoted for $5 at a local store shortly after... a few months later, I paid $15 for the Punisher skull variant at a 2nd and Charles. I'm now looking for the other versions. Those are the only ones I've seen in person.

Any one have an estimate on the print run of any of the versions of this book? I'd imagine most are kept in personal collections...

I found the Punisher Skull variant at a flea market a couple of weeks ago... it was listed at $20, but I paid $10 in a half price sale. That's the only time I've ever seen any print in the wild.

Yeah I just don't see the book at all any print. I mean it sells well, but when I go to shows I never see it even the reprints.

Funny timing... I was just at a used record/comic shop looking for some records. Having just looked through their back issue inventory last weekend, I didn't really focus on the comics. By chance, looking through the misc. "P" section, I found the Steve Dillon cover reprint with the white background for $10. It felt funny to me, so I had the owner open it up at the counter to make sure it wasn't water damage... it was just shoved into a bag that was too small for this type of book. I guess the only ones I lack now are the Dillon cover with the gray background, newsstand edition of the 08 reprint, and the Museum Edition (which I doubt I'll ever get), unless I'm missing something.

My copy: :acclaim:

6JgFCQ.jpg

Oh, you mean like exactly what I said. (echoo......)

No, they do not claim to be out of stock, they just don't fill the full order. If they have it (disregarding the huge volume of unprocessed purchases they always have), it's on the site. You can't even attempt to purchase 5 copies of something if they only have 2 of them.

1999? That hardly qualifies as "early" for Adam Hughes.

Fair point. I hadn't realized the year--I was going by the style. Not to mention the fashion sense.

As MichaelBrowning replied, it could be early work that was inventoried for years before being printed. That's certainly plausible.

Unfortunately, there seems to be very little information available on that issue and that publisher.

Here's one with MHC not filling a multi copy order

(thumbs u (not the sarcastic version :) )

No, they do not claim to be out of stock, they just don't fill the full order. If they have it (disregarding the huge volume of unprocessed purchases they always have), it's on the site. You can't even attempt to purchase 5 copies of something if they only have 2 of them.

You most certainly can. They adjust your order after they check their inventory. You clearly don't know what you are talking about.

I bet I can't order ten copies of one book either, since their drop down only goes up to 5?

is it possible that we've strayed a bit from the topic? I think its safe to say that some companies use or have used somewhat unethical practices both in terms of pricing and/or stocking comics that have recently become hot and also artificially manipulate perceived rarity of specific issues at the time of release.

We get it. And we should be careful, and not blindly believe anything anyone says about rarity, hotness, value, etc. And we should accurately point out when parties are acting unethically. For the purpose of this thread, I would suggest just adding links then dropping the topic, of course I get that its a free country and might feel germane to a given party.

But I think we can still share our own experiences in a friendly way that is informative and fun.

Here's my contribution: I look for Darkhawks everywhere I go, and I've found a #5 2nd print in the wild, but I've never seen a #41 in the wild. I know its not expensive or anything, but even with tapering print runs at the later issues, I've just never seen a 41.

is it possible that we've strayed a bit from the topic? I think its safe to say that some companies use or have used somewhat unethical practices both in terms of pricing and/or stocking comics that have recently become hot and also artificially manipulate perceived rarity of specific issues at the time of release.

We get it. And we should be careful, and not blindly believe anything anyone says about rarity, hotness, value, etc. And we should accurately point out when parties are acting unethically. For the purpose of this thread, I would suggest just adding links then dropping the topic, of course I get that its a free country and might feel germane to a given party.

But I think we can still share our own experiences in a friendly way that is informative and fun.

Here's my contribution: I look for Darkhawks everywhere I go, and I've found a #5 2nd print in the wild, but I've never seen a #41 in the wild. I know its not expensive or anything, but even with tapering print runs at the later issues, I've just never seen a 41.

I agree and thanks for your contribution.

So in further support of ygogolak claims about MHC's stellar reputation in turning down orders, heres a link you are cordially invited to visit and find more evidence of that conduct

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9336554

Please, if at all possible, move the conversation over there as Id love to get some movement on it :grin:

Akira #38 (Awe)

Batman Strikes #35-45 (Awe)

Deathstroke #58-60 (Awe)

G.I. Joe #155 (Awe)

Hack / Slash Annual #1 Suicide Girls Variant (Fast)

Incredible Hulk vs. Venom (Lzy)

Spectre #54 & #62 (Awe & yg)

Spider-Man Special Edition (Trial of Venom) (Lzy)

Star Wars #107 (Awe)

Static #45 (Awe)

Vampirella #113 (Awe)

War of the Undead 1-3 (yg)

Wonder Woman #184 (Awe)

TPB's

Avengers: Death Trap, The Vault (Lzy)

Lost in Space: Voyage to the Bottom of the Soul (MB)

Master of Kung Fu Hellfire Apocalypse (MB)

Mortal Kombat: Blood and Thunder (MB)

Truth: Red, White and Black (MB)

Venom: Deathtrap: The Vault (Lzy)

Edited by ygogolak

Akira #38 (awe)

Batman Strikes #35-45 (awe)

Deathstroke #58-60 (awe)

G.I. Joe #155 (awe)

Spectre #54 & #62 (awe & yg)

Star Wars #107 (awe)

Static #45 (awe)

Vampirella #113 (awe)

Wonder Woman #184 (awe)

TPB's

nice.

Akira #38 (Awe)

Batman Strikes #35-45 (Awe)

Deathstroke #58-60 (Awe)

G.I. Joe #155 (Awe)

Spectre #54 & #62 (Awe & yg)

Star Wars #107 (Awe)

Static #45 (Awe)

Vampirella #113 (Awe)

Wonder Woman #184 (Awe)

TPB's

Awesome! I really think Fastballspecial should sticky a list at the thread's opening w contributor support. Great idea!

Oh and btw, I hope no one gets upset, I moved one of the books to my ongoing thread HERE

Awean, I have no idea if those mid 80s last issues "appreciated" in the late 80s (my spare money was going to less dorkly pursuits then), but they weren't last issues because nobody was buying the series, they were last issues because of a reboot. And they were dollar (or less) box books later. I don't see how those minimal flips (what were they, $5?), provided a motivation to cash starved dealers (and everyone was hurting) to bet their rent money 10 years later getting extras of dead, not rebooted, titles, in the hopes that in a couple of years they could mark them up. I understand there is no secret that some last issues are hard to find (star wars 107, vampi, ji joe, transformers.. and have commanded premiums, but most did not. You are trying to imply that there are tons of the hard to find issues we are talking about because Chuck "let it out of the bag" years earlier, but if there was, ebay would show it. It is going to be issue by issue, of course, not every title was cancelled with a 6k print run. Some were plenty higher. Of course, 6k doesn't seem THAT LOW nowadays. Static 45 might be really hard to find, but many of the others are not. Even if only 1/3 survived, the Internet will bring copies to market.

you should be more productive by listing more items on eBay than jump through hoops trying to explain to us what's the definition of a final issue and its reasoning for termination.

Youve asked for examples and I gave you plenty. You don't agree. Great. You win.

I have no desire spinning this thread further off topic than it already has.

It seems you do, despite several thread contributors asking for it to go back on track.

So sorry. No soup for you. Next!

Actually, I need to pack and ship all the krap I've sold recently. It was a decent month. But I have been trying to organize my comic hoard. I take breaks to play here on my phone, but now I'm back in the office, so I don't know when I'll be back to it. It is 40 years of disorganized accumulation, 20-30,000 comics/magazines (I honestly have no idea) and it isn't pretty. These pictures miss about 20-25 more boxes I have....and its totally relevant to this thread, because somewhere in these boxes are several books "you just can't find in the wild"

20160915_091223

20160915_091205

20160915_091145

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146967861@N05/31296429873/in/dateposted-public/

20160915_091129

20160915_091057

Edited by the blob