• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

Finally (pun intended) if I were to list the top final issues in terms of demand and speculated supply I would probably go with Akira 38 as the great white whale of them all. It has always been a pricey book.

Even though, and I kid you not, I found 5 in the wild 2 years ago in 2 spots..

One of them, you guessed it, was Joe Koch's Warehouse. I paid $10 for the deuce

Star Wars #107 is always a favorite, found many many in the wild, but always sold quick

G.I. Joe #155 - Another tough one.. But not quick to sell hm

BONUS

Copper final issue (which should really top my list)

The illusive Vampirella #113

This one doesnt exist as far as Im concerned.

Pls do not show me your copy. Just agree that it doesnt exist!!!

I want to know how dc got moebius to do the cover on static 45, a book that would sell less than 5,000 copies. Wouldn't paying him to do the cover pretty much consume the entire budget on a book that would go on to gross DC like 3 grand or did they think his name would sell some extra copies?

Maybe he read Static? It does tend to happen.

I'm still looking for a Deathstroke 60 in the wild. I have a feeling I'll be looking awhile.

Believe or not you can find DS 60 sometimes, but some of the last 6 issues or so I struggle with. I have never seen DS 58 and DS 50 and up are all tough most of the time. They might not sell for a lot, but you wont see them much.

So, are we starting a list?

Believe it or not I used to keep an Excel list for years finally I memorized it over the years.

Its nice that we have added some new books in this thread which is one of the reasons I started it as there are always new books to hunt down.

The problem with making a list is the decision of what to include and why.(Money, Scarcity, Condition.....) Trust me going down this road takes some serious commitment just ask members from the old STL web site. I only contributed a small amount compared to others on there.

The other reason is you are giving your competitors your same advantage. That's a personal choice some have to make.

I got some hate for this thread so I have no desire to start a list because I will just get more hate for it. If you guys want to start a list go ahead I am okay with it. I mean we all have had some help from somewhere right?

Many years ago on here I bought and sold about 25 copies of Labyrinth for a very pretty penny at the time. It was a tip from a boardie on here. I actually sent a tip/finders fee to that boardie from paypal because I use the philosophy of if you make me money all make you money and so on.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Posting this one because I want another copy to show up.

Ive think I have looked for this book very hard for at least 7 years now I think.

I will never find it. However I know one boardie who walked into one shop and only Shop and found a copy. Sometimes life just isnt fair. :sorry:

There is a copy D and copy E of this book. Both are extremely scarce find either and I expect a PM and a (worship) in this thread.

If someone can find a scan of copy E place it up as well.

Good lucking looking for it. Ive tried and failed for years.

http://www.atomicavenue.com/atomic/issue/420027/HackSlash-Annual-1-Variation-D

Edited by Fastballspecial

We can assume, according to suggestive distribution reportings, that there werent thousands printed nor distributed, but to conclude that thats a fact is a blatant lie which keeps on being repeated on these boards many many many times.

Please do some research and learn what the various publicly available numbers mean. If you don't understand them, don't criticize those who do.

(The original Marvel) Star Wars, for example, was a slowly dying title that saw its print run drop by ~40% and sales drop by ~50% in the last 7-ish years. Sales dropped fairly consistently by around 10% per year, except in 1983-84 when sales briefly stabilized (not bumped from RotJ)... only to see a 20% drop the year after. lol

There were still almost certainly over 100,000 copies sold, and roughly twice as many printed, of issue 107. It's not remotely rare, although it certainly appears scarce compared to the early issues.

We can assume, according to suggestive distribution reportings, that there werent thousands printed nor distributed, but to conclude that thats a fact is a blatant lie which keeps on being repeated on these boards many many many times.

Please do some research and learn what the various publicly available numbers mean. If you don't understand them, don't criticize those who do.

(The original Marvel) Star Wars, for example, was a slowly dying title that saw its print run drop by ~40% and sales drop by ~50% in the last 7-ish years. Sales dropped fairly consistently by around 10% per year, except in 1983-84 when sales briefly stabilized (not bumped from RotJ)... only to see a 20% drop the year after. lol

There were still almost certainly over 100,000 copies sold, and roughly twice as many printed, of issue 107. It's not remotely rare, although it certainly appears scarce compared to the early issues.

Lazyboy is a board member of some 12+ years here with a healthy history of trolling others.

He will not receive the attention he so desperately needs from me.

If anyone sees any of his information as relevant please continue to follow him.

I chose not to

Women Of Marvel One-Shots, actually found the Namora one today, first time I've ever seen a copy in a shop. Haven't spotted a Lady Deadpool in a couple of years

Ive only seen the She Hulk and ASM Variants in person. There are several I have never seen in hand. Namora, Black Widow, DoomWar, Lady Deadpool and so on. You would think you find them more often.

i found 2 last year of the Black Widow in a 50 cent bin. I had never seen that one before.

I'm still looking for a Deathstroke 60 in the wild. I have a feeling I'll be looking awhile.

Believe or not you can find DS 60 sometimes, but some of the last 6 issues or so I struggle with. I have never seen DS 58 and DS 50 and up are all tough most of the time. They might not sell for a lot, but you wont see them much.

Yeah, I bought a run of 50-60 many years ago (like 2002-ish, I think) that was only missing the 58. Didn't get a 58 until years later and never saw much from that run when I was looking for the 58, or even since then.

Cool, thanks for contributing to the list. (thumbs u

Why would I bother mentioning any comics? So you can disparage my contribution?

Don't start. I'm not interested in this garbage.

If we are going to make a list I would suggest it exclude ratio / incentive variants, price variants and newsstand variants. TPB's acceptable.

:rulez:

Four really rare TPBs that are hardly ever seen in the wild:

1. Truth: Red, White and Black - so rare even Kyle Baker didn't get a comp copy from Marvel, maybe only a few hundred printed of the trade paperback. It was later reprinted as a Captain America hardcover.

2. Master of Kung Fu Hellfire Apocalypse by Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy from Marvel's MAX line of adult comics. Took me years to find a copy.

3. Lost in Space: Voyage to the Bottom of the Soul. This wrapped up the series that was started at Innovation and finished in the trade paperback. These sell for upwards of $150 each when they pop up and have sold for as high as $400.

4. Mortal Kombat: Blood and Thunder. Maybe one of the rarest TPBs I have ever owned. I have only ever seen one copy -- the one I had. If I remember correctly, I got around $150 for it.

Why would I bother mentioning any comics? So you can disparage my contribution?

Don't start. I'm not interested in this garbage.

Cool, thanks for contributing to the list (thumbs u

Awean, I have no idea if those mid 80s last issues "appreciated" in the late 80s (my spare money was going to less dorkly pursuits then), but they weren't last issues because nobody was buying the series, they were last issues because of a reboot. And they were dollar (or less) box books later. I don't see how those minimal flips (what were they, $5?), provided a motivation to cash starved dealers (and everyone was hurting) to bet their rent money 10 years later getting extras of dead, not rebooted, titles, in the hopes that in a couple of years they could mark them up. I understand there is no secret that some last issues are hard to find (star wars 107, vampi, ji joe, transformers.. and have commanded premiums, but most did not. You are trying to imply that there are tons of the hard to find issues we are talking about because Chuck "let it out of the bag" years earlier, but if there was, ebay would show it. It is going to be issue by issue, of course, not every title was cancelled with a 6k print run. Some were plenty higher. Of course, 6k doesn't seem THAT LOW nowadays. Static 45 might be really hard to find, but many of the others are not. Even if only 1/3 survived, the Internet will bring copies to market.

As for chuck being out of stock, if he has the book why not just price it at 20x fmv? I'm talking about minor books like black lightning 1 and rom 1 he is out of stock on.

Anyway, I don't want to argue with you. Your premise seems faulty. I'm not too obsessed with guestimated circulation numbers either, I just eyeball how,many copies are for sale, have sold, etc.

Edited by the blob