• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please support me in financing my education - THANKS!
2 2

279 posts in this topic

Art school, like college, like the military, vocational school, etc is not for everyone. But some people really do benefit immensely from the class, the experience, shared passions with other artists, inspirations,, the teachers, the structure etc

Which is not to say there's aren't zillions of success in most fields (especially) art without formal education, there obviously are. But everyone is different with different goals and dreams and needs and motivations. And there are different ways to reach your goals. And for some, that might be going to Vienna ....

Get all the info and go

You are advising someone who has painted one picture to drop everything and spend 70K to go to a school you know nothing about nor what the quality of instruction is. For all you know there is far better instruction within driving distance of the dude.

There's this idea that people have to go to Europe to become enlightened or something.

70 grand for three years tuition plus living expenses isn't that bad.

If it was truly his 'dream' to be a painter, wouldn't he have painted more than one picture?

People have the oddest idea of 'dream' these days, maybe from watching American Idol.

I'd like to make fine furniture. Haven't built a single secretary's desk out of fine wild olive burl with brass and mother of pearl inlays yet (shrug)

Art school, like college, like the military, vocational school, etc is not for everyone. But some people really do benefit immensely from the class, the experience, shared passions with other artists, inspirations,, the teachers, the structure etc

Which is not to say there's aren't zillions of success in most fields (especially) art without formal education, there obviously are. But everyone is different with different goals and dreams and needs and motivations. And there are different ways to reach your goals. And for some, that might be going to Vienna ....

Get all the info and go

You are advising someone who has painted one picture to drop everything and spend 70K to go to a school you know nothing about nor what the quality of instruction is. For all you know there is far better instruction within driving distance of the dude.

There's this idea that people have to go to Europe to become enlightened or something.

You have to live somewhere anyway. Everyone finds their own path, successful people often make huge changes in their lives in order to become something more than they are. Delusional people do this as well, but this guy at least has obvious talent.

I just don't see any reason to question his decision-making; in life you have to buy your ticket and get on the ride!

If it was truly his 'dream' to be a painter, wouldn't he have painted more than one picture?

People have the oddest idea of 'dream' these days, maybe from watching American Idol.

I'd like to make fine furniture. Haven't built a single secretary's desk out of fine wild olive burl with brass and mother of pearl inlays yet (shrug)

Have you been sharpening your carpentry skill all this time though building simple tables chairs etc or did you just wake up one day and say 'I'd like to build fine furniture. I think I'll go to Vienna to study furniture building'?

Here's the indications someone has a 'dream'-they spend at least 8 hours a day pursuing it, for many years. My dream lasted 30 years. never panned out.

Get all the info and go

You have to live somewhere anyway. Everyone finds their own path, successful people often make huge changes in their lives in order to become something more than they are. Delusional people do this as well, but this guy at least has obvious talent.

I just don't see any reason to question his decision-making; in life you have to buy your ticket and get on the ride!

Well just keep in mind unlike the movies, 99.999999% of dreams are unfulfilled. And that's for people who put in the time. Lotta wasted lives is the flip side of 'pursuing a dream'.

Are you positive he's not already an accomplished artist in other mediums wanting to learn the technical aspects of working with paints?

Just because his portfolio isn't teeming with paintings means nothing.

Please-trust me on this-it won't. This is 2 years of art school speaking.

Please watch Art School Confidential before you plunk down your money.

Please

Every great artist has learned 99.9% of their craft by themselves, because they are driven.

I totally agree with you Kav. Do you know how much art supplies you could buy with 70 grand ??!!!

Yea, you might get to rub elbows with some artsy type folks..... but if you can render a perfect likeness of the human body with a light source...... your portfolio will make a way for you more than any degree from Joe Schmo university in where ever it is :popcorn:

Have you been sharpening your carpentry skill all this time though building simple tables chairs etc or did you just wake up one day and say 'I'd like to build fine furniture. I think I'll go to Vienna to study furniture building'?

Here's the indications someone has a 'dream'-they spend at least 8 hours a day pursuing it, for many years. My dream lasted 30 years. never panned out.

But we aren't talking about you, are we? This is a thread about someone else.

It is if it's fruitless.

Well nothing is worth it if it's fruitless. But assuming a person was going to university anyways, studying something you're passionate about in an historically artistic city while learning skills and gaining international experience ...

It's certainly not for everyone, but I doubt it will be fruitless...but there's a lot to think about and solid arguments for and against.

Are you positive he's not already an accomplished artist in other mediums wanting to learn the technical aspects of working with paints?

He has displayed 3 pieces-all simple front and side views with simple or no backgrounds and no shadowing. I see very basic skills on display.

But we aren't talking about you, are we? This is a thread about someone else.

Guy: "I want to jump off this bridge!"

Other guy: " I wouldn't do that-I jumped and broke my spine-it's very shallow"

Third Guy: "But we're not talking about you, are we?"

He has displayed 3 pieces-all simple front and side views with simple or no backgrounds and no shadowing. I see very basic skills on display.

I see a pencil layout at an unknown stage of completion, a painting at an unknown stage of completion, and a stylized pencil drawing that has no background or shadowing.

Good decision, bad decision, it's not really for us to say. Especially from only seeing portions of his work to date.

All this time and he hasn't completed a painting yet it's his 'dream'.

I really have no problem with the guys dream. It's a big world, and lots of people get jobs because of WHO they know. If going to an art school in Europe is what brings the OP to his desired destination, then good for him. And selling his stuff to get him there is a step in the right direction.....

my beef is with the college/university tuitions in general.....everywhere !! It's a big money making scheme :sumo:

Even if the dream came true and he became a great painter-there's a larger hurdle-there is a glut of great painters.

He then needs lightning to strike and become one of the lucky painters that gets a 'name'.

It's like buying lottery tickets, and winning, but first you have to become great at something before you can even buy a ticket.

But you are ignoring the possibility that he will just happen to become friends with Sam Billion Dollar Magazine Moguls Son..... and land a cushy art job with "the firm" because of the connection.... not because he is Frank Frazetta