• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please support me in financing my education - THANKS!
2 2

279 posts in this topic

I'm a big believer in Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule. That it takes a person 10,000 hours of practice to become a master of a skill. My question to the OP is, are you willing to put in a minimum of 10,000 hours to possibly achieve your dream (that's 8 hours a day every day for 3 and a half years)

Outliers was a great read! Practice, practice and practice. It made so much sense.

At my school it was a teacher who painted nothing but squares. I went to the art program at Sacramento City College. These were well known artists who taught there. Wayne Thiebaud taught there. also Gregory Kondos-whose main instruction was telling the students repeatedly they would never be as good as him. Daryl forney, many successful artists taught at that school. I did have one good teacher, my design instructor. After that bitter experience I changed my major to biology. Now I am retired.

I did however always continue drawing, sometimes 10 hours a day, trying to become a comic artist. All those wasted years.

http://kaviart.deviantart.com/gallery/

Art is subjective, but maybe you didn't succeed because you aren't a very good artist, and no amount of education and training will fix that.

I'm a big believer in Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule. That it takes a person 10,000 hours of practice to become a master of a skill. My question to the OP is, are you willing to put in a minimum of 10,000 hours to possibly achieve your dream (that's 8 hours a day every day for 3 and a half years)

Outliers was a great read! Practice, practice and practice. It made so much sense.

I guess I'll be the outlier here and say his books are bad pop science, but I will say they're entertaining enough reads.

At my school it was a teacher who painted nothing but squares. I went to the art program at Sacramento City College. These were well known artists who taught there. Wayne Thiebaud taught there. also Gregory Kondos-whose main instruction was telling the students repeatedly they would never be as good as him. Daryl forney, many successful artists taught at that school. I did have one good teacher, my design instructor. After that bitter experience I changed my major to biology. Now I am retired.

I did however always continue drawing, sometimes 10 hours a day, trying to become a comic artist. All those wasted years.

Art is subjective, but maybe you didn't succeed because you aren't a very good artist, and no amount of education and training will fix that.

Success is NOT just about being good. Lots of great undiscovered talent out there. I would say the bulk of it is how you promote yourself. It takes initiative and motivation and salesmanship... even within a corporation. That's why leaders usually have a type “A” personality and enjoying talking, often about nothing.

If you've got both, skill and salesmanship... then look out world!

I think we all need to hear why this school, why this experience - if Mercurious believes this school has the power to turn people into great painters, then Kav is absolutely correct. Chances are a school isn't going to do that, not unless that school plays the game that many fine arts schools do where they accept only the best and the brightest and the most talented to begin with.

However, if the goal is to shake things up, to try to evolve by living in a new environment, then it may very well be worth it. There is something to be said for surrounding yourself with people that share a similar drive and aspirations. Sometimes you have to make big changes to break out of whatever mold you find yourself in. It's always a risk, you could fall flat on your face, or it could pay off big.

One thing I definitely agree on though... make damn sure it's a dream and not just a new infatuation.

I don't think the OP wanted to discuss anything and just wanted to sell his comics. I don't think we would get a response from him/her otherwise we would have gotten one already.

Then OP should have just started a normal sells thread :shrug:

I think he did. Just went for a bit of extra pub here in cg.

A lot of this happening lately....and to think a year or two ago it'd be moved with no explanation and none required.

Success is NOT just about being good. Lots of great undiscovered talent out there. I would say the bulk of it is how you promote yourself. It takes initiative and motivation and salesmanship... even within a corporation. That's why leaders usually have a type “A” personality and enjoying talking, often about nothing.

You have to be willing to go "all in" if you want to be successful. Nothing like a lack of a safety net to make you learn how to fly.

I guess I'll be the outlier here and say his books are bad pop science, but I will say they're entertaining enough reads.

I really enjoyed it... along with his other books Blink and Tipping Point. Making connections across location and large amounts of time is not an exact science but it all fits. The little things you do today can effect you profoundly many years from now.

Many parents are on top of accumulative advantage so there is lots of support out there. It's a fascinating social study.

You have to be willing to go "all in" if you want to be successful. Nothing like a lack of a safety net to make you learn how to fly.

Really dangerous advice.

Have a Plan B, you may be glad you did.

Really dangerous advice.

Have a Plan B, you may be glad you did.

You have to know your own capabilities of course. Nothing ventured nothing gained. If you aren't willing to bet the house on yourself what are you doing? Yes, we can all settle for things as well; I have done this myself at times. But true satisfaction requires belief and commitment and there is a definite relation between time/effort and success.

Edited by Bird

H.R. Giger

H.R. GIGER was born in the small city of Chur, Switzerland in February, 1940. Giger grew up in a rather normal, middle class family environment. His father was the local pharmacist. When he was quite young his father received a human skull as a professional promotion from a pharmaceutical firm, and the young Hansruedi was taken spellbound.

He fast developed a fascination with all things dark and strange, and later found inspiration from postcards and magazine photos featuring the works of Salvador Dali and Jean Cocteau. Giger's mother Melli was a great encouragement to him, though she did not always understand the strange fascinations of her young son. As a pre-teen, Giger would invite neighborhood friends over to watch his presentation of "Ghost Train" rides, and other portrayals of the dark fantastic.

After high school (gymnasium) Giger went on to study architecture and industrial design at Zurich's School of Applied Arts. He soon expanded his network of friends to include those in involved in various aspects of the arts, and began drawing creatively.

In 1966 Giger began work as an interior designer, and at the same time, completed some early paintings. In 1968 Giger began working exclusively as an artist, as well as filmmaker. Giger has his first posters published in 1969 and also has some of his first exhibitions outside of Zurich.

Giger begins using the airbrush in the next decade, and his works take on a unique otherworldly quality. He grows to be considered the leading airbrush artist in the world and proved that fine art could be produced via the device. Working in large formats, Giger's paintings are meticulously rendered and possess a blend of erotic mystery and alien elegance.

Has anyone besides me been to art school? The instruction I received was teacher walking around looking at the students work and going 'that's nice'

That was the sum total of the instruction I received. And these were all well known artists with shows in the large public gallery.

While I get what you're saying, KAV, and agree for the most part, much of it are blanket statements. And TBH, the "tone" makes them seem like great big wet-blanket statements. :foryou:

I think we all need to hear why this school, why this experience - if Mercurious believes this school has the power to turn people into great painters, then Kav is absolutely correct. Chances are a school isn't going to do that, not unless that school plays the game that many fine arts schools do where they accept only the best and the brightest and the most talented to begin with.

However, if the goal is to shake things up, to try to evolve by living in a new environment, then it may very well be worth it. There is something to be said for surrounding yourself with people that share a similar drive and aspirations. Sometimes you have to make big changes to break out of whatever mold you find yourself in. It's always a risk, you could fall flat on your face, or it could pay off big.

One thing I definitely agree on though... make damn sure it's a dream and not just a new infatuation.

I don't think the OP wanted to discuss anything and just wanted to sell his comics. I don't think we would get a response from him/her otherwise we would have gotten one already.

Then OP should have just started a normal sells thread :shrug:

I think he did. Just went for a bit of extra pub here in cg.

A lot of this happening lately....and to think a year or two ago it'd be moved with no explanation and none required.

:)

My dream is to remodel my 747 so I can attract and entertain a higher level of venture capitalist to fund my next startup.

Can I break the rules too and advertise my sales thread here in CG?

Cuz, you know...I really want it and stuff.

:grin:

:popcorn:

Has anyone besides me been to art school? The instruction I received was teacher walking around looking at the students work and going 'that's nice'

That was the sum total of the instruction I received. And these were all well known artists with shows in the large public gallery.

While I get what you're saying, KAV, and agree for the most part, much of it are blanket statements. And TBH, the "tone" makes them seem like great big wet-blanket statements. :foryou:

What happened 04/04/16? 4x4=16?

I went to the University of Alberta and completed a 4 year course and received a Bachelor of Fine Arts and Design degree.

One story:

I had a drawing instructor that just didn't like me. In his class each student was assigned a space of wall and in that space is where you put up your work for the instructors critique. My wall space always received a negative critique. Every time. I think I am a pretty good artist and I wanted to confirm that this instructors critique had nothing to do with my work so I asked a fellow student in the class to trade walls for the day. I put my completed work up in someone else's space. At the critique my wall received the same bad critique but my art received rave positive reviews. A visit with the Dean with my proof got the professor a suspension and me a reassessed grade.

I guess I did learn while at the University just not about art.

Edited by Artboy99

I do have to say your art is great. It's one of my favorite pieces hanging on my wall. My girlfriend was originally freaked by it but has grown to appreciate it.

15280197006_73ac791673_c.jpg

Exactly my experience Artboy. The students that could actually draw were loathed by the instructors.

In response to the other comments of why didn't I put myself out there-I worked with several writers, had several books printed, won an award with my Mr X story, Tales From the Void was lauded at comicon, books are on websites, reviewed and lauded. I did everything humanly possible-there are just way too many talented wannabe artists and writers out there. In a field that has maybe one job opening a year. The current comic artists many of them have to struggle to find work.

when people ask me how do you break into comics I tel them 'you don't'.

To the guy who said maybe I'm just not very good (techvoodoo) - bite me.

If someone who can paint this is 'not very good' you are a dolt:

http://kaviart.deviantart.com/art/airbrush-painting-284287269

Exactly my experience Artboy. The students that could actually draw were loathed by the instructors.

In response to the other comments of why didn't I put myself out there-I worked with several writers, had several books printed, won an award with my Mr X story, Tales From the Void was lauded at comicon, books are on websites, reviewed and lauded. I did everything humanly possible-there are just way too many talented wannabe artists and writers out there. In a field that has maybe one job opening a year. The current comic artists many of them have to struggle to find work.

To the guy who said maybe I'm just not very good - bite me.

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in life. You can work hard and do all the things you're supposed to do... but at the end of the day, if it wasn't meant to be, it may not work out the way you expect. But this has no baring on talent or ability.

The beauty of art is that you can continue to practice it and enjoy it. Keep drawing and painting with no expectations and stay active. Wonderful things WILL happen.

Edited by Vger7

Nothing wonderful ever happened. I worked harder than the pros, producing up to 13 penciled and inked pages a week.

To the guy who said maybe I'm just not very good - bite me.

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in life. You can work hard and do all the things you're supposed to do... but at the end of the day, if it wasn't meant to be, it may not work out the way you expect. But this has no baring on talent or ability.

The beauty of art is that you can continue to practice it and enjoy it. Keep drawing and painting with no expectations and stay active. Wonderful things WILL happen.

Totally agree. Art isn't a waste of time for everyone. If it is, don't do it... it's all about learning how you fit in this world. Doing something over and over again that you hate will make you bitter.

Dan