• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please support me in financing my education - THANKS!
2 2

279 posts in this topic

If Mercurius has (or gathers) enough money to attend an art school in Vienna I can see why he might want to do that (aside from learning to paint).

If he is interested in art history AND in the place itself (with all the historical artistic implications), this is not strictly related with the constancy, persistence and self-effort kav invited him to practice.

As someone wrote (Revat) he might also be interested in attending a school because of the experience. I don’t think schools are comparable worldwide, let alone today.

You may find it’s a waste of time or you may find it enriching.

A pair of friends of mine, after attending the typeface design academic course at Reading ended up doing quite different things (one works at Apple in Cupertino, another has worked in a famous stone cutting laboratory in the UK and ended up designing typefaces for third parties):

http://typefacedesign.net/

If it was truly his 'dream' to be a painter, wouldn't he have painted more than one picture?

People have the oddest idea of 'dream' these days, maybe from watching American Idol.

I'd like to make fine furniture. Haven't built a single secretary's desk out of fine wild olive burl with brass and mother of pearl inlays yet (shrug)

Have you been sharpening your carpentry skill all this time though building simple tables chairs etc or did you just wake up one day and say 'I'd like to build fine furniture. I think I'll go to Vienna to study furniture building'?

Here's the indications someone has a 'dream'-they spend at least 8 hours a day pursuing it, for many years. My dream lasted 30 years. never panned out.

I don't have the space or the money required for tools and supplies to even start (shrug)

I did hear of a college course that has fantastic results and gives certificates. If I were to attend and pass, that certificate might get me a loan to finance opening a workshop.

Just can't take two years off work to attend a woodworking school. But if I had the chance I'd take it, even though I've never even tried it.

If it was truly his 'dream' to be a painter, wouldn't he have painted more than one picture?

People have the oddest idea of 'dream' these days, maybe from watching American Idol.

I'd like to make fine furniture. Haven't built a single secretary's desk out of fine wild olive burl with brass and mother of pearl inlays yet (shrug)

Have you been sharpening your carpentry skill all this time though building simple tables chairs etc or did you just wake up one day and say 'I'd like to build fine furniture. I think I'll go to Vienna to study furniture building'?

Here's the indications someone has a 'dream'-they spend at least 8 hours a day pursuing it, for many years. My dream lasted 30 years. never panned out.

I don't have the space or the money required for tools and supplies to even start (shrug)

I did hear of a college course that has fantastic results and gives certificates. If I were to attend and pass, that certificate might get me a loan to finance opening a workshop.

Just can't take two years off work to attend a woodworking school. But if I had the chance I'd take it, even though I've never even tried it.

That’s how I was suggesting to broaden the scope in reference to kav's comments (which have a good degree of validity anyways) – often you find that working within a class, and with a serious teacher, you gather (even a limited) knowledge which was something missing from your self-education in a given field.

I for sure feel like so: I have no specific dream as far as working goes, but I have a lot of dreams for projects, and although I’d love to be a publisher that is an example of a work that you hardly start overnight by simply being "self taught". :)

Has anyone besides me been to art school? The instruction I received was teacher walking around looking at the students work and going 'that's nice'

That was the sum total of the instruction I received. And these were all well known artists with shows in the large public gallery.

Looks like I'm in the minority again. I do agree that you don't need school to develop hand/eye coordination and school in itself cannot guarantee success… However, art is so much more than being visually coordinated. In school, students are exposed to and will develop:

• Variety of styles, techniques, thinking.

• History, which seems boring on the surface but really fascinating to know how we got here. Much of which was accidental.

• The butterfly effect. Understand how small things can connect, influence and shape the big picture.

• Networking. Stay in touch with fellow peers. A lot of projects, support and direction will come from them.

• Exposure. You're able to try stuff that you normally wouldn't. A well rounded program includes sculpture, environmental design, design & advertising, digital & new media, photography… etc.

• Business. Learn how to market yourself. How to price your work and value your time. Tax implications, benefits, politics.

• Options. Learn where the jobs are, i.e.; gallery, institutional, commercial, freelance.

• And so much more… like hanging out with the pros, awards, learn how to get written up, social skills, business skills, become more worldly, opens your mind, meet your significant other.

Yes, you can find answers to these on your own of course, but most people don't even know what question to ask. In the end, you'll be well rounded, knowledge rich, more versed… all of which helps to authenticate who you end up becoming. Also, your certificate will help to open doors and you never have to look back.

But… you have to make the effort. You can't just attend classes and expect things to fall into your lap. If you pay for the all you can eat salad bar, it's up to you to fill your plate.

I'm pro education so I hope you'll continue with your studies. Money comes and goes but the true currency in life is TIME. Money is meant to enrich your life… and going to Vienna to study art is the kind of stuff they give away to lottery winners… so enjoy it.

Your work shows so much promise… I hope it works out. (thumbs u

Has anyone besides me been to art school? The instruction I received was teacher walking around looking at the students work and going 'that's nice'

That was the sum total of the instruction I received. And these were all well known artists with shows in the large public gallery.

I haven't been to art school, but I know for a fact they aren't all like that. Maybe you just went to the wrong one.

Enough are like that that they made the film 'Art School Confidential'.

That movie exactly mirrored my experience.

Enough are like that that they made the film 'Art School Confidential'.

That movie exactly mirrored my experience.

There's gotta be a chance that art school 20 years later in Vienna is somewhat different than your experience. Maybe?

Kav... can I ask:

Which art school did you attend?

Area of study?

What are you doing now work wise?

Ballpark response would be cool if you don't wanna get detailed. Just curious. I'd love to see your stuff.

Art School Confidential was hilarious because there were many “truths” that we can relate. However, as entertainment, it's selective about what it chooses to show or make fun of. We had a “triangle guy” at our school only he reinvented “stripes”, or so he claimed. We also had a guy who always dressed in white suits. The students called him the “glad man”. Pretty funny.

At my school it was a teacher who painted nothing but squares. I went to the art program at Sacramento City College. These were well known artists who taught there. Wayne Thiebaud taught there. also Gregory Kondos-whose main instruction was telling the students repeatedly they would never be as good as him. Daryl forney, many successful artists taught at that school. I did have one good teacher, my design instructor. After that bitter experience I changed my major to biology. Now I am retired.

I did however always continue drawing, sometimes 10 hours a day, trying to become a comic artist. All those wasted years.

http://kaviart.deviantart.com/gallery/

I'm a big believer in Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 hour rule. That it takes a person 10,000 hours of practice to become a master of a skill. My question to the OP is, are you willing to put in a minimum of 10,000 hours to possibly achieve your dream (that's 8 hours a day every day for 3 and a half years)

I think we all need to hear why this school, why this experience - if Mercurious believes this school has the power to turn people into great painters, then Kav is absolutely correct. Chances are a school isn't going to do that, not unless that school plays the game that many fine arts schools do where they accept only the best and the brightest and the most talented to begin with.

However, if the goal is to shake things up, to try to evolve by living in a new environment, then it may very well be worth it. There is something to be said for surrounding yourself with people that share a similar drive and aspirations. Sometimes you have to make big changes to break out of whatever mold you find yourself in. It's always a risk, you could fall flat on your face, or it could pay off big.

One thing I definitely agree on though... make damn sure it's a dream and not just a new infatuation.

I think we all need to hear why this school, why this experience - if Mercurious believes this school has the power to turn people into great painters, then Kav is absolutely correct. Chances are a school isn't going to do that, not unless that school plays the game that many fine arts schools do where they accept only the best and the brightest and the most talented to begin with.

However, if the goal is to shake things up, to try to evolve by living in a new environment, then it may very well be worth it. There is something to be said for surrounding yourself with people that share a similar drive and aspirations. Sometimes you have to make big changes to break out of whatever mold you find yourself in. It's always a risk, you could fall flat on your face, or it could pay off big.

One thing I definitely agree on though... make damn sure it's a dream and not just a new infatuation.

I don't think the OP wanted to discuss anything and just wanted to sell his comics. I don't think we would get a response from him/her otherwise we would have gotten one already.

I don't think the OP wanted to discuss anything and just wanted to sell his comics. I don't think we would get a response from him/her otherwise we would have gotten one already.

Then OP should have just started a normal sells thread :shrug:

Dude... that's some pretty nice stuff! Why you hanging around here? Why not go work on an independent project with that talent of yours. If you're retired, do it for fun. No deadlines or pressure. Your stuff should be published.

The problem with higher learning is, that many pros may be good at being an artist... but not necessarily at teaching. They get hired through their experience but they themselves are never schooled on things like diversity, various types of learners, tolerance and how to support students.

No need to wait for Marvel or DC to come calling... You can submit your stuff to sites like Blurb and produce limited copies of your stuff and start promoting yourself. I'd buy a copy... signed of course. (thumbs u

Dude... that's some pretty nice stuff! Why you hanging around here? Why not go work on an independent project with that talent of yours. If you're retired, do it for fun. No deadlines or pressure. Your stuff should be published.

The problem with higher learning is, that many pros may be good at being an artist... but not necessarily at teaching. They get hired through their experience but they themselves are never schooled on things like diversity, various types of learners, tolerance and how to support students.

No need to wait for Marvel or DC to come calling... You can submit your stuff to sites like Blurb and produce limited copies of your stuff and start promoting yourself. I'd buy a copy... signed of course. (thumbs u

I also like some of his stuff. Nice eye for shading in some of it.

Then OP should have just started a normal sells thread :shrug:

I think he did. Just went for a bit of extra pub here in cg.