• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please support me in financing my education - THANKS!
2 2

279 posts in this topic

Remember nothing wonderful happened to Van Gogh. he never sold a single painting.

Exactly my experience Artboy. The students that could actually draw were loathed by the instructors.

In response to the other comments of why didn't I put myself out there-I worked with several writers, had several books printed, won an award with my Mr X story, Tales From the Void was lauded at comicon, books are on websites, reviewed and lauded. I did everything humanly possible-there are just way too many talented wannabe artists and writers out there. In a field that has maybe one job opening a year. The current comic artists many of them have to struggle to find work.

when people ask me how do you break into comics I tel them 'you don't'.

To the guy who said maybe I'm just not very good - bite me.

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in life. You can work hard and do all the things you're supposed to do... but at the end of the day, if it wasn't meant to be, it may not work out the way you expect. But this has no baring on talent or ability.

The beauty of art is that you can continue to practice it and enjoy it. Keep drawing and painting with no expectations and stay active. Wonderful things WILL happen.

Totally agree. Art isn't a waste of time for everyone. If it is, don't do it... it's all about learning how you fit in this world. Doing something over and over again that you hate will make you bitter.

Dan

I loved drawing so maybe I shouldn't have said it was a waste of time. But after 30 years, it's ok to throw in the towel.

Van Gogh said this:

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream. What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?

I dream of painting and then I paint my dream."

Sounds pretty wonderful to me.

Dan

Exactly my experience Artboy. The students that could actually draw were loathed by the instructors.

In response to the other comments of why didn't I put myself out there-I worked with several writers, had several books printed, won an award with my Mr X story, Tales From the Void was lauded at comicon, books are on websites, reviewed and lauded. I did everything humanly possible-there are just way too many talented wannabe artists and writers out there. In a field that has maybe one job opening a year. The current comic artists many of them have to struggle to find work.

when people ask me how do you break into comics I tel them 'you don't'.

To the guy who said maybe I'm just not very good - bite me.

Unfortunately, there are no guarantees in life. You can work hard and do all the things you're supposed to do... but at the end of the day, if it wasn't meant to be, it may not work out the way you expect. But this has no baring on talent or ability.

The beauty of art is that you can continue to practice it and enjoy it. Keep drawing and painting with no expectations and stay active. Wonderful things WILL happen.

Totally agree. Art isn't a waste of time for everyone. If it is, don't do it... it's all about learning how you fit in this world. Doing something over and over again that you hate will make you bitter.

Dan

I loved drawing so maybe I shouldn't have said it was a waste of time. But after 30 years, it's ok to throw in the towel.

Ah! Got it.

Dan

Van Gogh said this:

"For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream. What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?

Dan

Him literally starving and living in abject poverty does not sound wonderful.

Doing something because you love it and it brings you joy is a much different conversation when you are talking about spending 70K on it and you expect it to be your source of income.

Remember nothing wonderful happened to Van Gogh. he never sold a single painting.
Didn't his brother manage to sell one after some pleading to a buyer?

Doing something because you love it and it brings you joy is a much different conversation when you are talking about spending 70K on it and you expect it to be your source of income.

BINGO

and a guy who has only painted one painting, I question the 'love' aspect.

No his brother bought one out of sympathy so he could get some food and some paints.

Van Gogh said this:

Dan

When I took my daughters to the Met my eldest cried when she was confronted by Starry Night.

The beauty and joy in the piece came from the heart of the artist. You have to have something personal to convey in your art or else you are working a trade.

Van Gogh said this:

Dan

When I took my daughters to the Met my eldest cried when she was confronted by Starry Night.

The beauty and joy in the piece came from the heart of the artist. You have to have something personal to convey in your art or else you are working a trade.

Van Gogh was great-that's my point. Greatness has no bearing on success.

However a lot of the emotion people feel upon looking at a Van Gogh is because he is a legend. There is gravitas attached to it. I doubt anyone would sniffle if he was a nobody and Starry Night was seen at a yard sale.

No his brother bought one out of sympathy so he could get some food and some paints.

This is from a quick search because I remember differently

"During his lifetime Van Gogh was never famous as a painter and struggled to make a living as an artist. Van Gogh only sold one painting during his lifetime The Red Vineyard. This painting sold in Brussels for 400 Francs only a few months before his death."

This is the paintings wiki page

The red vineyard

Yes as I understand it his brother bought the painting. I could be wrong that is what I learned in my art history class and any books on Van Gogh I read.

Van Gogh said this:

Dan

Totally agree! What a great memory with your daughter!

Dan

Yes as I understand it his brother bought the painting. I could be wrong that is what I learned in my art history class and any books on Van Gogh I read.
Not Anna Boch?

Interesting.

The poor guy-I hope he sold it. He was a mocked and ridiculed figure during his life and people openly laughed at Starry Night-no sniffling.

Man-you don't need to go to some academy to learn to paint. Just keep painting. Vienna? Why Vienna? As an artist I gotta say i think this is a huge waste of money.

Guess where Frank Frazetta learned to paint? At home. He did attend the (very) small Brooklyn Academy of Fine Arts, a short lived school with one instructor.

Think about what you are doing-you have pained one painting, penciled out another, simple front and side views. and I assume you have been accepted by the Vienna Academy. What kind of legitimate school accepts a student who has accomplished one painting? This is a money grab bro.

Don't buy the Euro hype. Keep your books.

I am 99% sure you will disregard my advice. People don't like their dreams crushed. But i have to try.

Hey Kav, do you ever consider just biting your tongue on a response like this?

Yes.

But then I thought-man if I can save this guy from a big mistake....

The posts I bite my tongue on no one is ever aware of.