• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Significant Comic Art Auction at Profiles in History 30 July 2016

332 posts in this topic

Meanwhile, the Werewolf splash is such an imposing and beautifully executed piece of art. It's still one of the hardest decisions I've ever made in this hobby in selling it to Frank. I actually toyed with the idea of buying it back in this auction, but would probably have been outbid based on the final hammer. An amazing price considering it sold entirely on it's aesthetic merits, and not on character or historic metrics. An outlier? Or an indication that aesthetics is a more potent pricing indicator than we sometimes give credit.

Definite outlier in my book. It's wonderfully executed, but it fetched 50% more than the published Frankenstein plate of the doctor huddled in the rain, which may not be the best Frankie plate, but it's still bite-the-back-of-your-hand gorgeous. It also fetched the same price as both the ST #4 cover and the other published Frankie plate of the doctor and the monster - seems to me like it was a case of two people who really wanted the werewolf splash and drove it to an irrationally exuberant level.

Perhaps. If someone put a gun to my head, and told me I had to buy one of these pieces and had a choice of either paying the final hammer price for the ST 4 splash or the final hammer of either of the two Frankie plates, I'd have gone with the ST4 splash every time without blinking. No contest for me. All superbly executed pieces but one piece has "it" and the other ones not as much.

Scott

What a long read to catch up over the weekend. I don't have a dog in this fight but I will surmise my readings with:

More seller competition is good - bring it on

I am glad there wasn't any art that appealed to me in the auction - kept me from trying to figure out all the PIH auction difficulties. The starting bids and fees would have made this a non starter for me.

Congrats to those who picked up new art!

I'm really disappointed with you guys; so much gushing about the SDCC presentation and no pictures? I have to image google it myself and rely on the kindness of prop collector strangers? Luckily they know how to take good (and large!) pictures.

San-Diego-Comic-Con-2016-Profiles-In-History-Exhibit-Frank-Frazetta-Darabont-Comic-Art-01.jpg

San-Diego-Comic-Con-2016-Profiles-In-History-Exhibit-Frank-Frazetta-Darabont-Comic-Art-04.jpg

San-Diego-Comic-Con-2016-Profiles-In-History-Exhibit-Frank-Frazetta-Darabont-Comic-Art-05.jpg

San-Diego-Comic-Con-2016-Profiles-In-History-Exhibit-Frank-Frazetta-Darabont-Comic-Art-06.jpg

San-Diego-Comic-Con-2016-Profiles-In-History-Exhibit-Frank-Frazetta-Darabont-Comic-Art-07.jpg

San-Diego-Comic-Con-2016-Profiles-In-History-Exhibit-Frank-Frazetta-Darabont-Comic-Art-08.jpg

I'm really disappointed with you guys; so much gushing about the SDCC presentation and no pictures? I have to image google it myself and rely on the kindness of prop collector strangers? Luckily they know how to take good (and large!) pictures.

I took some pics but they didn't come out well due to the glare off the glass. :(

You really just had to be there. :baiting:

As to the sale, I regret having a brain cramp and missing it completely. I was mostly interested in the Wrightson and BWS art

Were there other Wrightson pieces (aside from the ST #4 splash) that you thought were standouts? And which BWS piece(s) did you feel met your high standards? hm

As to the sale, I regret having a brain cramp and missing it completely. I was mostly interested in the Wrightson and BWS art

Were there other Wrightson pieces (aside from the ST #4 splash) that you thought were standouts? And which BWS piece(s) did you feel met your high standards? hm

I think the HOM 214 cover is a supremely inventive cover. Love that lush brush work Wrightson perfected in 1972. Not a buyer for it at current prices however as I have my "grail" HOM example with my HOM 204 cover.

Also think the Eerie front pieces are examples by Wrightson which are hard to beat in execution, but are not the exact ones I'd like to add to my collection. And finally, the Witch from the coloring book is just terrific. (The Capt. Stern story is great by the way, but I'm just not a big CS fan).

For BWS, just three little words--Artemus and Apollo. Everything else is a distant second (but still love the Cygnus stuff, the Fire piece and the classic ink stylings of the Fantastic Islands and GP Brittania piece).

Scott

For BWS, just three little words--Artemis and Apollo.

It's a monumental work, though its size would require a real commitment on the part of even a well-heeled buyer. It's definitely not something you can just easily sock away in the closet and its presence would dominate a large wall or even a decent sized room if displayed. For that reason alone, I think I'd prefer to own a smaller BWS piece personally, if I was buying one. Though, the thought of owning A&A is pretty captivating. Are any other BWS pieces of a similar size/scale or is that one the granddaddy of them all? hm

I remember that blow up quite well. I cannot remember if it was the SDCC in 2005 or 2006 (I think it was 2006), but Maddalena and Horvitz were both sharing space at the SDCC. Maddalena's kids had no respect for Horvitz's inventory, and I remember hearing that the Maddalena kids seriously damaged some pages from Horvitz's stock. Horvitz demanded that Maddalena reprimand and discipline his kids for which Maddalena refused. I have not seen Horvitz set up at the show since 2009. In fact, I do not believe that Horvitz has set up at this convention since then, but I may be incorrect.

This was quite the news at that particular show back in the days when the dealers historically were on the other side of the hall. One should be able to research this convo thread on the comicart-L site if it still exists in the archives.

that's not what happened.....

The "incident" actually happened at DINNER during the SD con.

Mike

Mike,

With all due respect, you are wrong. It did not happen at DINNER. It happened at the show. I was there watching Horvitz storm out of the convention hall with his material in tow. I did not understand what had just happened because I went over there to see what Horvitz had for sale. While I did not actually see the incident take place, MI did, and he wrote to that point in a previous post. What I wrote was from memory and from the second-hand accounts that I received about what happened. A couple of fellow posters sent me messages with corrections after my post from Sunday.

I also have to correct myself that this was in 2005 at the SDCC, not the 2006 SDCC. The infamous 'Mendoza screw job' happened in 2006 at the PIH booth.

Ciao!

PRC

From what I've had pm'd to me by a couple people (and what I'm sure is common knowledge to the folks that have been around longer), that doesn't happen twice. It happens once and its an instant friendship killer. :eek:

From what I've had pm'd to me by a couple people (and what I'm sure is common knowledge to the folks that have been around longer), that doesn't happen twice. It happens once and its an instant friendship killer. :eek:

...taking the last diet coke?

...taking the last diet coke?

but it had MY NAME ON IT! :sumo: