• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,472 posts in this topic

On 9/9/2021 at 1:56 PM, 1Cool said:

I ended up watching the last 3 episodes last night since I seemed to be in a kind mood.  I really have no idea what happened in the last episode except it appears they invented a loop hole to have the Doctor be eternal.  I guess they needed to do something since she/he was out of lives and the series needed to reboot soon.  Are the timelords clones of the doctor??

No one cares. The Chibbers / Whitterer tenure is the 'Sins Past' of Doctor Who. When it's over, we'll all pretend it never happened. 

On 9/9/2021 at 1:56 PM, 1Cool said:

I ended up watching the last 3 episodes last night since I seemed to be in a kind mood.  I really have no idea what happened in the last episode except it appears they invented a loop hole to have the Doctor be eternal.  I guess they needed to do something since she/he was out of lives and the series needed to reboot soon.  Are the timelords clones of the doctor??

The only good thing I can say about the current series of Dr Who is that it's a great cure for insomnia as I always seem to nod off when watching it.  Seriously!  Normally, I'd go back and re-watch some of the overly-complicated episodes to try and make heads and tails of them - but in the case of the Chibnall era really can't be bothered wasting my time again.  Pretty sure an internet search will give you story overviews to explain things better than I can (it's all a convoluted mess to me).  My only hope is that when the series changes hands to a new showrunner and leading actor, they'll do a Bobby Ewing (Dallas) season opener in which the Doctor wakes up in the TARDIS shower - only to realize that the preceding Jodie Witless seasons have all been a bad dream.  

No guarantee that a new change of showrunner and leading actor will return the series to glory days (other than better scripts than Chibnall can provide, which can't get any worse), as I'm inclined to believe that the decision to ramp-up the heavy-handed SJW and moralizing content is a BBC directive forced upon the production team.  The show has always contained political content but, in the past, has mostly been done in such a way as to allow the viewers to join-the-dots for themselves to see the bigger picture - whereas, currently, such content is hammered home, totally lacking in subtlety, and leaving nothing to the imagination.  They seem to forget that the aim of the series is to entertain the audience . . . not lecture to it.  2c

Edited by The Voord

On 9/14/2021 at 8:12 AM, The Voord said:

No guarantee that a new change of showrunner and leading actor will return the series to glory days 

I think it's unlikely, alas. I think the world is set on its current course and I can't see anyone wanting - or being allowed - to revert to storytelling that is free from the current tick list of modern production 'requirements'. The pressure to conform to it has put decent storytelling, -script writing and casting in a straightjacket. Once it starts, it's hard to stop.

Look at us, Voord. We're Doctor Who through and through. From a young age it has been part of our lives. We've loved it, followed it and in our various ways have gotten involved. And we hate this current incarnation and production team. There are so many reasons to hate it, but I hate it for one reason above all. It isn't Doctor Who. 

On 9/24/2021 at 4:17 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

RTD is a coming back.....

Doctor Who: Russell T Davies returns as programme show runner

Screenwriter Russell T Davies is to take charge again of Doctor Who, the sci-fi show he helped revive in 2005.

Davies, who was the fantasy drama's showrunner until 2009, will take over when Chris Chibnall departs next year.

"I'm beyond excited to be back on my favourite show," said Davies, who resumes his role as the show prepares to mark its 60th anniversary in 2023.

One of his first responsibilities will be to decide who takes over the Tardis following Jodie Whittaker's exit.

The actress is set to hang up her Sonic Screwdriver after one more six-part series and three 2022 specials.

On 9/24/2021 at 9:23 PM, Bosco685 said:

Good news on the face of it. He knows what he is doing.

Who knows (heh, heh) with the right casting, we could get back on course. Time, as always, will tell (heh, heh)

On 7/29/2021 at 1:04 PM, Crimebuster said:

I didn't quite get through Capaldi's run. I did check out a couple of Whittaker first season. 

Capaldi is excellent, but the writing let him down. I also thought Whittaker was good, but stuck in some blah stories. Both deserved better from the show I think. 

Honestly, all the doctors have been very good. Problems with the show are almost never the star's fault. 

Capadi is my favorite Modern Doctor.  "Why do you people keep laughing?  Are you simple or something?" lol 

This short clip of the Whitterer trying to get our attention in between BBC programmes is galactically awful isn't it. There it is again, that soulless bland face with its total lack of character and depth, its miserable inability to convey history, spouting bland human sounding warnings for us to 'get ready' or something in that usual 'talk breathlessly fast' manner in the hope of appearing remotely interesting. Doctor Who does not panic. Doctor Who, generally, laughs in the face of adversity. Were Matt Smith to recite that same meagre list of foes he would end with a squeal of delight. Capaldi would shrug and say "So?" whilst finishing a plate of sushi. Jodie panics and rushes about breathlessly. The Whitterer does not have one scintilla of a clue who Doctor Who is. The clown that writes the words for her does not either, evidently, and does not have one ounce of flair or originality in his tired verbal repertoire.

"Doctor, we need you!" spouts the former comedian in the background, momentarily breaking away from pressing buttons furiously on the TARDIS console and managing in the process to convey an as equally unsatisfying opening statement for his character as his flustering saviour managed in her opening speech some years earlier. No. No, not at all 'brilliant', I'm sorry to say. But utter, contemptible, balderdash

On 10/13/2021 at 4:41 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

This short clip of the Whitterer trying to get our attention in between BBC programmes is galactically awful isn't it. There it is again, that soulless bland face with its total lack of character and depth, its miserable inability to convey history, spouting bland human sounding warnings for us to 'get ready' or something in that usual 'talk breathlessly fast' manner in the hope of appearing remotely interesting. Doctor Who does not panic. Doctor Who, generally, laughs in the face of adversity. Were Matt Smith to recite that same meagre list of foes he would end with a squeal of delight. Capaldi would shrug and say "So?" whilst finishing a plate of sushi. Jodie panics and rushes about breathlessly. The Whitterer does not have one scintilla of a clue who Doctor Who is. The clown that writes the words for her does not either, evidently, and does not have one ounce of flair or originality in his tired verbal repertoire.

"Doctor, we need you!" spouts the former comedian in the background, momentarily breaking away from pressing buttons furiously on the TARDIS console and managing in the process to convey an as equally unsatisfying opening statement for his character as his flustering saviour managed in her opening speech some years earlier. No. No, not at all 'brilliant', I'm sorry to say. But utter, contemptible, balderdash

I’m sensing negativity.

Well-expressed negativity, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/13/2021 at 7:32 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Drat. I was aiming for full blown disdain. 

British understatement from me.  :sorry:

On 10/13/2021 at 7:57 PM, Ken Aldred said:

I simply couldn't match your level of anger, and didn't try.

I know Paul, I'm only joshing mate. It gives me no pleasure, to post something like that. I resolved to stop talking about Doctor Who some time back. Well, the current incarnation at least. And my instinct is to be positive, if I can, in all walks of life. As the Doctor himself would be, despite the odd blow up. Don't like something? Move on. But I just can't get over how bad it is, and what has been done to something that has always held a special place in my heart. I see that snippet, and it offends me. Sometimes, all your learning, all your wisdom, all your finesse, all your good nature, it just desserts you and all you can do is shout "Bloody.......BOO!"

OK, I'm over it. 

On 10/13/2021 at 8:05 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

And my instinct is to be positive, if I can, in all walks of life

At least Davies is back in charge now.

Edited by Ken Aldred