• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dr Who Thread
3 3

1,471 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2022 at 4:54 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Just read this, which I thought was quite interesting...

While the BBC's iconic Doctor Who series may currently stand as one of the most cherished and respected small screen franchises ever to warp into our lives, the show was definitely on the ropes towards the end of its first run in the late '80s.

In fact, things got so bad when it came to the overall quality of the sci-fi time-travelling property with Colin Baker at the wheel of The Doctor that the show was put on ice for 18 months in 1985 on the back of BBC One controller Michael Grade feeling it had just become too violent and a "very clunky studio show".

Then, in a move that still needs to be heard to be believed, the decision was made by British songwriter and Who super fan Ian Levine to assemble a collection of artists together to record a universally panned charity song by the name of Doctor in Distress to drum up some support for the series edging towards cancellation. 

Clearly sensing he needed to do something in a bid to keep his failing Doctor dreams afloat, Baker himself also agreed to appear in the ill-fated tune, with Hans Zimmer, of all people, playing the song on a synthesiser. All of the jarring beats in the world couldn't save Baker from eventually getting the regeneration treatment after just three years - including said lengthy hiatus - in the Time Lord saddle, though.

Ken, if you're going to post a reminder that Doctor in Distress was once a reality can you please post a suitable warning in advance. It's going to take me another 30 years to try forget it ever happened now. And I can never play my BvS or No Time to Die CDs again now.

On 7/6/2022 at 12:47 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Ken, if you're going to post a reminder that Doctor in Distress was once a reality can you please post a suitable warning in advance. It's going to take me another 30 years to try forget it ever happened now. And I can never play my BvS or No Time to Die CDs again now.

It’s all Ian Levine’s fault.  And he hasn’t been on these boards in years that I’ve seen.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:54 PM, OtherEric said:

It’s all Ian Levine’s fault.  And he hasn’t been on these boards in years that I’ve seen.

We didn't need to be reminded of it though. I like Ken, but that was just irresponsible. 

On 7/6/2022 at 8:56 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

We didn't need to be reminded of it though. I like Ken, but that was just irresponsible. 

The video is on YouTube, but, out of respect, I won’t post it for you.

On 7/7/2022 at 6:38 PM, Ken Aldred said:

The video is on YouTube, but, out of respect basic human decency, I won’t post it for you.

Repaired that for you. 

1499477539_DrWhoWink.gif.5cdfb6913994caf8bf757d4230351711.gif

On 7/7/2022 at 7:32 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

1163385688_DrWhoSmash.gif.94c153fbaba830c1996f4a143b80c5ff.gif

I had a listen. Only managed a minute and a half or so.  You’re right, it deserves a Capaldi-style mercy kill.

I haven't watched Dr. Who in quite some time.  I am a classic Who fan, starting like may Americans with Tom Baker, who still ranks head and shoulders above all others (with me).  I struggled through the Peter Davison years (though I have come to appreciate them a bit more now).  I caught some of the Baker, McCoy, McGann years but never hit with me.  And from then on, I sporadically caught episodes.  Matt Smith was good and after that I stopped watching entirely.

I still go back and re-watch the Baker episodes and really like Pertwee and Troughton.  I do appreciate Hartnell especially given when they were made.  

I collected some Dr. Who memorabilia during the 70s.  I used play the Dr. Who Trump card game against myself.  Yeah, I was a geeky nerd - watching Dr. Who, Star Trek, reading funny books.... lol 

This is mine but do still have mine somewhere but this is card game.  I will dig out my other stuff and take some pics.

s-l500.jpg

On 7/9/2022 at 5:26 PM, telerites said:

I haven't watched Dr. Who in quite some time.  I am a classic Who fan, starting like may Americans with Tom Baker, who still ranks head and shoulders above all others (with me).  I struggled through the Peter Davison years (though I have come to appreciate them a bit more now).  I caught some of the Baker, McCoy, McGann years but never hit with me.  And from then on, I sporadically caught episodes.  Matt Smith was good and after that I stopped watching entirely.

I still go back and re-watch the Baker episodes and really like Pertwee and Troughton.  I do appreciate Hartnell especially given when they were made.  

I collected some Dr. Who memorabilia during the 70s.  I used play the Dr. Who Trump card game against myself.  Yeah, I was a geeky nerd - watching Dr. Who, Star Trek, reading funny books.... lol 

This is mine but do still have mine somewhere but this is card game.  I will dig out my other stuff and take some pics.

s-l500.jpg

Special powers ten!

I had those, and the Marvel ones too. Happy days :cloud9:

Spoiler

1361688497_SpecialPowers10.thumb.PNG.845327b8be96f21c46393a58505988c8.PNG

On 7/9/2022 at 11:29 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Special powers ten!

I had those, and the Marvel ones too. Happy days :cloud9:

Hide contents

1361688497_SpecialPowers10.thumb.PNG.845327b8be96f21c46393a58505988c8.PNG

lol yeah I have the Marvel ones and have an Addams Family and Munsters card games and I think some Universal Monsters.

I did what to say in post above Sarah Jane Smith was tops a companion - Elisabeth Sladen was such a genuine person - she was a really good actress.  I liked Katy Manning a lot - I thought she was perfect with Pertwee and Louise Jameson pulled off what could have been a laughable, loin-clothed character into a completely likeable, watchable character..

On 7/9/2022 at 5:39 PM, telerites said:

lol yeah I have the Marvel ones and have an Addams Family and Munsters card games and I think some Universal Monsters.

I did what to say in post above Sarah Jane Smith was tops a companion - Elisabeth Sladen was such a genuine person - she was a really good actress.  I liked Katy Manning a lot - I thought she was perfect with Pertwee and Louise Jameson pulled off what could have been a laughable, loin-clothed character into a completely likeable, watchable character..

They chose well, back in the day. I liked them all. It started to creek with Adric though, and Bonnie Langford. But you could still watch them, as they weren't preachy, inexplicably space aware or cast by modern sensibility tick sheet. 

On 7/9/2022 at 9:50 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

They chose well, back in the day. I liked them all. It started to creek with Adric though, and Bonnie Langford. But you could still watch them, as they weren't preachy, inexplicably space aware or cast by modern sensibility tick sheet. 

I think Mel might actually have been a good companion for the Colin Baker Doctor once they got past the mess of the Trial.  But the character was designed to work with a particular version and didn't mesh with the McCoy Doctor nearly as well.

I liked Turlough. I watched Mawdryn Undead the other month, I think I may already have mentioned it, and even though it was shocking he was still as cool as I remembered. A bit dangerous, to start with, he was. First companion who I recalled was after killing the Doctor.

mawdryn.webp.97ab7f3929404aa1749a7e8f888d7b50.webp

Still, who wouldn't with a bloke with a crow on his head breathing down your neck.

doctor-who-mawdryn-undead-2.webp.9296facdb3610e9e9471de7403b854cb.webp

On 7/9/2022 at 5:56 PM, OtherEric said:

I think Mel might actually have been a good companion for the Colin Baker Doctor once they got past the mess of the Trial.  But the character was designed to work with a particular version and didn't mesh with the McCoy Doctor nearly as well.

Two words disprove your theory, Eric: 'Bonnie' and 'Langford'.

I'll never forget the day Nyssa threw off the red velvet choker though, and went all sultry maiden on my 18 year old brain

nyssa_9366.webp.702465444622b7209de1ccfc90eae125.webp

Fwwoooooaaarrr. 

On 7/9/2022 at 9:59 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Two words disprove your theory, Eric: 'Bonnie' and 'Langford'.

There may be some UK related context that I'm not getting as the designated Yank in so many of these threads...

Screaming on key so it perfectly merges with the sting was a brilliant start to the character.

But once the Doctor regenerates into McCoy it's all just waiting for Ace to show up and the run of great serials to start, I will admit.

On 7/9/2022 at 6:12 PM, OtherEric said:

There may be some UK related context that I'm not getting as the designated Yank in so many of these threads...

A little, maybe. I was taking the show seriously at that point and she wasn't exactly known for her Shakespearian acting. Proved us all wrong though, didn't she. Sort of. 

Screaming on key so it perfectly merges with the sting was a brilliant start to the character.

Everyone's good a something, they say. 

But once the Doctor regenerates into McCoy it's all just waiting for Ace to show up and the run of great serials to start, I will admit.

AAAAAAAAACE!

Poor Sylvester. On the cusp of menace and.....

I bumped into a Cyberman on his way to the Olympia show today. He had a day to kill before his flight back to Mondas:

thumbnail.jpg.139138f85fe0bae794e48e0b8e7435f3.jpg

They'll kill anything, Cybermen. People, time. Gold dealers. I told him "I waited" at the ticket office, but he just looked at me blankly. Which is the only way he could look at me, I suppose. 

Colin was there:

775234957_thumbnail(1).jpg.c231ea32aea67d7c69bf963829f8c5b5.jpg

He wasn't rushed off his feet. I didn't point that out in case he did one of those shocked zoom in face looks of his, that he perfected at the end of every episode of the Trial of The Timelord. 

7wMx.gif.43f227166da84e6fb2eb57f2f189768a.gif