• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Berkeley Comic Con Aug. 7 plus board meet-up. Comics only show!

159 posts in this topic

It was an excellent con hearkening back to the old daze. It was great to see some boardies I've not seen in a while like CW, Brain, JBud, Jeffery, Shin, Harv, Worm, Marc (although I see him in Berkeley from time to time but did not want to not mention him). And cool to meet some folks I never met like Jpepx78, Wormboy, Prime amd BitterOldMan (don't let the name fool you) and others I am sure I have forgotten. :(

Looking forward to the next one!

Harvey and I did well and so did a couple of others, while the remaining ones all did acceptable numbers. Everyone said they wanted to come back. I tried to arrange it so that the room wasn't oversold and we didn't all have that two hour dead period at the end (though some people laughed at me for the show only being five hours instead of the traditional seven). I knew every attendee would be happy with it--it was only the ten other dealers that I was worried about.

It was crazy busy 12-3, nicely busy 3-4, and very quiet 4-5 but that was a great chance to actually go around the room and talk, etc. And surprise, everyone you went around to talk with was a comic dealer! It wasn't like oh, let's walk two aisles to talk to that one comic dealer and then oh wow, five booths away is another comic guy I know.

Harvey and I did well and so did a couple of others, while the remaining ones all did acceptable numbers. Everyone said they wanted to come back. I tried to arrange it so that the room wasn't oversold and we didn't all have that two hour dead period at the end (though some people laughed at me for the show only being five hours instead of the traditional seven). I knew every attendee would be happy with it--it was only the ten other dealers that I was worried about.

It was crazy busy 12-3, nicely busy 3-4, and very quiet 4-5 but that was a great chance to actually go around the room and talk, etc. And surprise, everyone you went around to talk with was a comic dealer! It wasn't like oh, let's walk two aisles to talk to that one comic dealer and then oh wow, five booths away is another comic guy I know.

lol 15 to 20 booths more like it.

Sounds perfect Marc.

Wanted to post this yesterday but Photobucket was not working (big shock).

Picked up four books. The experience made me realize I should not be seeking a genre or concept to collect beyond what I think is cool.

The True Life Secrets is a CGC 6.5 OW and I swear that White Princess of the Jungle Fights the Witch Doctor Murder Cult may be the longest title not found in the indicia!

berkeley%20con_zpsjbf74kb0.png

Picked up four books. The experience made me realize I should not be seeking a genre or concept to collect beyond what I think is cool.

The True Life Secrets is a CGC 6.5 OW and I swear that White Princess of the Jungle Fights the Witch Doctor Murder Cult may be the longest title not found in the indicia!

> .png

My theory on collecting never go after just one genre.All great books!

berkeley%20con_zpsjbf74kb0.png

Great books Pov!

Wow, looks like it was a cool event! Wish I was there. Looks a bit like Terry O'Neil's January Yorba Linda con. Good to see these small comics centric shows popping up.I always love hitting Ray Storch's boxes. Always find a few cool books. And don't let Ray (Bittler Old Man) board name scare you. He's always one happy dude. Just look at that face. Like a kid at Christmas!

Cool deal, good to put a face to a name, nice to have met you.

(thumbs u Ben took a pic so that will be my first app :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :whee: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Finally with the woowoo (Harold) and BitterOldMan (Ray)

DCAC2341-F0A0-4BBF-840B-322026F20FAB_zpsux1j0pyb.jpg

What a great little show today. Thanks Marc (House of Comics) and Tim (Wormboy) for all your efforts :)

BitterOldMan was having way to much fun :o Ben did not bring any Gold (tsk)

I have gone to Harveydoss house years ago in sant rosa but did not see him at con where was he when you enter the door ?

Primetime and WooWoo, thanks for sharing your great stories.

I can't leave out Jeff (jpepx78) who shared a bunch of new vintage photos on his iPad showing comics on newsstands and being read (and burned!) by kids and adults. I especially liked the Bat 1 in the bank vault metal drawer the guy was pulling out. (thumbs u

Was the guy THIS guy? If so, it is Malcom Willitts co owner of Collector's Book store in Hollywood. One of the first comic book shops and legendary in SO CAL

comicphotomalcomwillitts_zps60050b04.jpg

Here is his partner Leonard Brown eyeing a new collection. These guys were partners of the Yellow Kid way back in the day.

comicphotoleonardbrown_zps1d705713.jpg

Here is their old buisness card!

comicphotobrownbuscard_zps99dbe3f2.jpg

Hoping to announce the next show soon...

It definitely was a mini-Terry-Yorba Linda con in a lot of ways. If you search my posts you'll find the other thread about putting on a comics only old school show, a fun thread.

Hey Mark!! My friend John wanted me to ask if after SF, would there maybe be

another con in late Nov.???