• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman Set Group Shot #1-423, Annuals 1-12, Specials 1-3

95 posts in this topic

At long last! Just snagged the last few issues to finish the run, and wanted to share with my fellow forumites.

This set amalgamates years of blood, sweat, tears, and maybe even some gas...... purchases from Greg, Harley, Rick, Adam, Jeff, Richard, Stephen....all the best dealers!

Was a crazy, silly, fun and rewarded endeavor - even notwithstanding a couple times a thread post surfaced here wondering why i bothered to slab Superman #410..... well, because i wanted this set!!

Fun facts

* Last book to find/slab - #387

* Most slabbed copies of a single issue before getting the desired grade - 5

* Most copies of a single issue over the period from the initial copy to the current one - 8 (issue number 36)

* My Favorite Issues: #1 (of course), #4, #7, #14, #17, #19, #24, #26, #50, #60, #61, #76, #78, #81, #100, #106, #123, #149, #199, #215, #233, #252, #387, #400.

Summary

* Issues 1-125: mostly cgc 6.0 or better (#1 is cgc 2.0 blue or cgc 8.5 purple)

* Issues 126-200 and Annuals 1-8: mostly cgc 7.0 or better

* Issues 201-423, Annuals 9-12 and Specials 1-3: mostly cgc 9.4 or better (vast majority cgc 9.2 or better)

I've detailed the set a bit more on the registry page, including individual scans of every front and back cover so you can enjoy it with me. 99% of the scans are up now, just note i have a few more to update and will do asap.

Appreciate any comments guys and gals! Long live the Man of Steel!!!

Joey

Simply Incredible!!! Amazing!!! (worship)

That's so impressive! To put together a run of well over 400 issues is an outstanding accomplishment, and captures the essence of a true collector. The fact that it starts with Superman #1 is simply amazing. (worship)(worship)(worship)

Thanks for all the great comments and messages guys, really means alot! Have to say, i was super excited (pun intended, of course) to post these, and wanted to wait until it was officially finished. I mean, having 437 of the 438 total books would be great.....BUT.....had to wait for the end!

Just to answer a few of the questions

- I listed my favorite issues up in my first post. It's really hard to narrow them down, because there are so many great ones!

- Took me about 6 years start to finish, but the most aggressive hunting was these last 24 months. I reached out to probably half a dozen times to every dealer, hardcore Supes collector, registry set holder..... the blue label #1 i had been on the previous owner for years to sell it to me and when he finally did, i had to pay really painful money for it (i'm talking really obscene and offensive lol)

I'd love to take a group shot of these books for real, but haven't figured out how to do that, just yet. Would also like to atleast go through and scan the entire run on one day to get similar settings, or adjust the existing scans' settings to make the group images look as nice as possible. Welcome any experts who can help with that!

- happy to take requests for individual books, if folks would like to see anything. I received a request for the #141 (great issue), so i'll post that now. If the group wants, i'll post each book here in the thread!

- next set of focus in my JLAs (focused on #1-75 for now). I'll never be able to touch my friend Brad (also won an award for his top JLA set, which is just sick sick sick, and i'm proud to say my former BB28 caps off his run!)

- I'm not going to move on from this set just yet :) There are a handful of books i still want to upgrade (so by all means, if you see, hear, or know of one of these, i'd be grateful!). And of course, happy to trade my undercopy, or just buy the copy outright.

#66: have cgc 4.5, want 6.0+

#68: have cgc 4.5, want 6.0+

#77: have cgc 5.5, want 6.0+

#79: have cgc 5.0, want 6.0+

#86: have cgc 5.0, want 6.0+

#96: have cgc 5.0, want 6.0+

#127: have cgc 6.5, want 8.0+

#201: have cgc 8.5, want 9.2+

#245: have cgc 7.0, want 9.0+ (wow, this book is tough!)

#252: have cgc 9.2, want 9.4+

#321: have cgc 9.0, want 9.4+

#345: have cgc 9.0, want 9.4+

#393: have cgc 8.5, want 9.4+

#410: have cgc 9.0, want 9.4+

Boardies are without a doubt, the most passionate collectors out there (and as a group, i'd say we have killer books, unmatched by most worldwide).... hope you enjoy!

Joey

Any interest in having both versions of the # 75? There are two printings, one with the correct number and one with # 74 on the cover. It's an oddity and probably not worth chasing though. I have both versions.

Superman%2075%20-%2074%20Variant_zpsxhx22rxi.jpg

Superman%2075_zpslkqlb86f.jpg