• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales to Astonish Appreciation Thread
1 1

1,446 posts in this topic

Sorry I meant issue #95. I'm shooting for at least every cover that the Sub-Mariner headlines on which shouldn't be too hard and all issues 70-101 this year as well then I will slowly chip away at the rest of them as I will probably want to spend money on other books first.

Looks much nicer then a 7.5 (good eye appeal).

Definitely one of my favorite covers between #70-89. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I love the split covers #59-69, and lots of the covers from #90-101, but most of the ones from #70-89 don't grab my attention.

I love the split covers #59-69, and lots of the covers from #90-101, but most of the ones from #70-89 don't grab my attention.

Totally agree with you there. Its almost a shame that the run came to an end as the latter covers seem to get better and better 93, 98,100, 101. cloud9.gif These were the first books I bought of this run.

Thanks, yes, I was hoping it would come back 8.0 to 8.5, but there is an accumulation of flaws, including a scuff on the back cover, that probably took it down to 7.5.

I agree, the late covers were very nice, as were the Hulk/Giant Man covers. When I was a kid I picked up a TTA 61 and 65 at a garage sale and those were among my prized early Marvels.

Ah, how about this great and slightly humorous cover?

TTA54.jpg

I find it funny that the evil-doers are just Mexican guys running around. Even though El Toro is a bit stronger, it would still be funny to see him again as a villian in a new book like New Avengers.

As an owner of Essential Ant-Man, I can say that #54 is fun despite whatever shortcomings the villain and his henchmen may suffer from! The basic premise is that the people of Santo Rico have elected a communist-supported candidate! Hank can't believe it: "Why would they elect a red?" So Washington sends Hank and Jan to investigate rumours of a commie plot! I could tell you if they find anything, but that would spoil your fun... wink.gif

Actually, the standard of the stories in that TPB is pretty good, for such an overlooked character as Hank Pym.

One of my favorite covers and a treasure of my collection. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Now where am I going to find a 9.2/9.4 issue 99 for under $15? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Surf,

All this TTA talk made me whip out my 2 boxes and start feeding them onto the registry. I honestly feel TTA's are the most undervalued and underappreciated of all SA Marvels. I love these books (probably more than I love the ASM run). Great Kirby covers (all of the issues up to #70) and interior pencils as well (35-40; 44, 49 & some scattered issues above). Btw, #35 is probably the toughest Marvel to find in 9.4 or better (right up there with #27).

IMO there are MANY Issues of this great Series that are hard-to-get in High-grade. The TTA 101( last one) is VERY hard to get - unsure why but I want to think that that particular printing( and print run) had bad stock pulp newsprint and it was just one of those things.

CAL hi.gif

Well it was fun while it lasted, being in the top 3 of the registry, but I knew it wouldn't last. 27_laughing.gif Just did a quick scan of your set and the census and I am surprised to see that issue #35 is so rare in high grade. One at 9.6 and nothing until 9.0. 893whatthe.gif This is one of the funnest runs and I agree that overall they are undervalued.

Well, they may have Kirby covers, but the early Superhero issues that featured Ant-Man never really floated my boat. I love some of the Giant-Man covers (the stories were still generally pretty weak), but the title really kicked into gear when it brought back as a continuing feature the Hulk, and then later combined him with Subby. Also, during the split cover period, most of Kirby's work looks rushed to me.

Just another opinion.

This is still one of my favorite split covers......I believe it was the first issue I read as a kid. The rendering of the Hulk on this cover is one of my all time favorites.....looking at the ink work, could it have been done by Vince Coletta?

tta68.jpg

Stupefying -script:

Stan Lee

Stereophonic Art:

Bob Powell

Stultifying Inking:

Vince Colletta

Schizophrenic Lettering:

S. Rosen

From my pos copy that goes on eBay in a few minutes. poke2.gif