• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is X-Men 1 CGC 9.0 at $46,995 a wise long term investment?

206 posts in this topic

So you come into a large sum of money and you immediately want to spend it on a horse and a 50K comic book? For some reason that just seems off to me..

For the CGC census you can just go to mycomicshop and look at it without signing up for anything.

The people in this thread telling the OP to buy AF 15 or Hulk 1 remind me of stock brokers telling clients to buy blue chips stocks, "Enron is a money maker! it will never go down." Both of those comics sell at a premium to action comics #1 if you adjust for circulation and median condition. It could mean nothing or it could be a sign on a speculation bubble. X-men #1 also sells at a premium to the big guy Action Comics #1.

Looking at trends on GPA a lot of key issues have seen significant price increases the past few years. I think its a result of the convention scene taking off with the rise of MCU. I think nerd culture and conventions are probably here to stay, TV shows and movies with comic characters will continue to be popular. Future demand for key comics is probably a safe bet, although maybe there is a generational shift among millennials about collecting in general that will negatively effect demand in the future.

But anyway back on topic and to your original question OP. I dont think X-Men #1 is good as an "investment." It will probably hold its value but there are other ways to invest $50,000 that will see greater return. It might bring great satisfaction as a collectible, your own nostalgic piece of childhood and Americana. Throw it up on the wall in the man cave and have your buddies all jealously ogle it, but you could probably get that with any copy of X-men #1 in fine or better condition.

Just my 2c , I am almost certainly wrong about everything

Thanks. I'm generally wrong about everything, also. Without bad luck, wouldn't have much luck at all.

So you come into a large sum of money and you immediately want to spend it on a horse and a 50K comic book? For some reason that just seems off to me..

The wife is a horse rider. She has always wanted a horse. My house is paid for, I've got a portfolio of stuff, good job, etc.

My wife TOLD me to buy a 50K comic. What, I'm I gonna tell her no?

You tell her no. I dare you.

I'll jump on the bandwagon: buy an AF15. That is, if your only interest is to own a comic as a long-term investment.

I'd seriously consider other, non-comic book related investment options as well.

And it's weird that, on the one hand, you've fallen into a large sum of money, and on the other hand, post about being an unlucky person. Makes you sound not legit.

The wife is a horse rider. She has always wanted a horse. My house is paid for, I've got a portfolio of stuff, good job, etc.

I'm far too lazy to read through this thread, and someone has already said it I'm sure, but for investment purposes for that amount from that time period I'd go for original comic art.

Have her create an account and I will! lol It is a tradition here for wives to come on and tell their husbands what to do.

Seriously though, you are saying you are unlucky yet you have a house that is paid for, a good job and a portfolio? A low percentage of people in the US have a house with no mortgage. If you have the money to dump 50K into a comic and also buy a horse than it would be safe to assume that you have a large amount of money in the bank in addition to that, otherwise it would be completely irresponsible to invest that way. Again, that is the opposite of being unlucky.

Have her create an account and I will! lol It is a tradition here for wives to come on and tell their husbands what to do.

Seriously though, you are saying you are unlucky yet you have a house that is paid for, a good job and a portfolio? A low percentage of people in the US have a house with no mortgage. If you have the money to dump 50K into a comic and also buy a horse than it would be safe to assume that you have a large amount of money in the bank in addition to that, otherwise it would be completely irresponsible to invest that way. Again, that is the opposite of being unlucky.

I really think that many around here have the Marc Spector Syndrome :insane:

Seriously:

1. I'm not going to jump into anything. I'm going to wait far longer then 90 days. I do research stuff, meticulously in fact. And plan to with this purchase.

2. The no luck comment was a joke. I'm extremely lucky and blessed. I'm not particularly smart, but work 100 times harder then most to make up for that fact. I get up for work about 3am and get home from work about 11pm, depending on the show I work on. I work in the entertainment industry. I have a mildly creative position (I'm not a mover or a shaker or a decision maker or anybody you would ever "know about" unless you look pretty hard) As a side note, my last show was on the Warner Brothers' lot and it was mind boggling to me the extent of how the visitors of the guided tour are so interested in super-hero movies. The stage I worked in was next to the Justice Leauge movie production office (not even a shooting stage!) and the people just wanted to take pictures of it all day long! It was just an office building, essentially. More on superhero movies in a second. Another side note, Warners Brothers' has a museum on the lot and they have copies of Detective 27 Action 1 (no cover) and The New Teen Titians #1 (??) on prominent display and the two GA books are in such CRAPPY condition. Like can't WB buy nice copies??

3. Because of my long work (approaching 30 years) of those hours I have bought a house and paid for it, saved some money and invested wisely. I can lose this 50k and not be bothered. It just fell out of the sky. I thought it would be fun to buy and blue chip book and see what becomes of it in 20 years. If we as a society are still here that is.

4. My no luck comment was more about guessing the longevity of trends.In the early 2000s when reality tv really got started I thought it was so stupid and couldn't last and now look. The same with superhero movies. It's just got to implode at some point but it doesn't seem so be and that is all the talk about why a book or character may go up in value, it seems. I think the superhero movies are insufferable and basically unwatchable. The Heath Ledger joker one was kinda ok.

Like I said, I watch them if forced to with my nieces and nephews or when standing in line at Target and there is some DVD player with them on at a DVD stand.

Thanks for all your honest comments.

I think the superhero movies are insufferable and basically unwatchable. The Heath Ledger joker one was kinda ok.

Like I said, I watch them if forced to with my nieces and nephews or when standing in line at Target and there is some DVD player with them on at a DVD stand.

You are going to fit right in ;)

I've always wanted Motion Pictures Funny Weekly #1. Even as a kid, I was obsessed by that book. Read the reprint in Invaders #20. Never seems to come for sale

Isn't that the issue that only has 8 copies known to exist?

9, I think. The 9th was a "Pay" copy. Found in 1974 in publishers old house.

Bill Evertt Sub Mariner origin.