• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,155 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2022 at 12:26 PM, Axe Elf said:

It's such a weird perspective thing to hear you guys talking about these prices as "steals"--but it makes me very grateful to have mine already, because all of these books would be well out of my reach at these prices (plus mine aren't sealed in plastic).  I'm reluctant to even pay $100 for a Vampi Special, though I fear I will probably have to break my $50 rule eventually, if I'm going to complete the Warren collection.

I managed to get the Special for $50... if you don't count tax or shipping, and ignore the fact it's loose from the binding.  Your copy will turn up eventually.

On 7/30/2022 at 3:16 PM, OtherEric said:

I managed to get the Special for $50... if you don't count tax or shipping, and ignore the fact it's loose from the binding.  Your copy will turn up eventually.

Yeah, I don't count tax and shipping in my $50 rule.  With the international shipping, I ended up paying a total of $77 for my EERIE #23 ($34 for the book and $43 for the shipping--lol), and that's the most I've paid for a single book landed.

2nd and 3rd place go to the Vampi Annual (not included in the Vampi run--$75 landed; $41+$34 S&T) and EERIE #17 ($62 landed; $45+$17 S&T).  Kind of ironic that two of my three most expensive books were EERIEs--the title on which I spent the least per book on average ($11 including S&T).

On 7/30/2022 at 12:45 PM, This is Who We Are said:

I hear you Greg… if I had a buck for how many times I was a few minutes too late.  It’s quite impressive the surgical precision and laser quickness they sniff out treasures

Barely missed some great skywalds the other day- literally just by minutes but alas, just wasn’t meant to be.  I have to remind myself that I’ve been on the end of some poor chap feeling like he missed a gold mine by but a few minutes because I got there first or got a winning bid—I say this only to try and make myself feel better LOL

itll be fun to see if/when some nice slabbed skywalds are put up on display on the threads- kudos to the guy who got there first👍🏻

Where were they listed?

On 7/30/2022 at 6:35 AM, Stevemmg said:

On the other hand, these MyComicShop prices look very reasonable. Prices cooling off, or just priced too low?  I hope one of you got the spectacular bargain on the hardcover special. 

E6E53484-EB65-4565-A3E1-6219B6372938.thumb.jpeg.7bd8d1b80e8c57a29b47b48ad20dd5c1.jpeg20B020F2-6260-4DA6-93F7-40BAD32AA03B.thumb.jpeg.9317a84b8abc2e33f49c24fe855852a6.jpeg6F29A2BF-8731-4268-904E-D38B480A8E5B.thumb.jpeg.0d45d78dee357f0dcb4c3832b9152be2.jpeg

Aside from the HC Special (which was a spectacular deal), the Vampirella 12, 13, 14, and 18 were pretty screaming deals as well.  Note how quickly these books sold.  That's a strong indication of how cheap they were for the market.  I think the sale of the Vampi 1 in 9.2 will turn out to be a value as well.  Someone did pretty well there.

Got a question for anyone who cares to answer, What do think Tales of the Zombie #1 in 9.8 is worth or would fetch at auction? I have had a offer for mine which I graciously declined and would like some views. :cheers:

On 7/30/2022 at 9:36 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Aside from the HC Special (which was a spectacular deal), the Vampirella 12, 13, 14, and 18 were pretty screaming deals as well.  Note how quickly these books sold.  That's a strong indication of how cheap they were for the market.  I think the sale of the Vampi 1 in 9.2 will turn out to be a value as well.  Someone did pretty well there.

A Vampi 1 9.2 and 9.6 coming up on C-Link - I guess we'll see where the wind is a blowin' ! I sure wish I bought a higher grade copy right off the bat when I started flirting with Vampi's again!

On 4/19/2022 at 7:34 PM, Randall Dowling said:
On 4/19/2022 at 6:34 PM, Stevemmg said:

If you’ve ever won an item like this, you know that $11 turns into $50-60 before it’s delivered. Not the deal it seems at the hammer of the auction. The auction house is fine, the buyer probably overpaid, but the seller is very sad. Probably a $30-40 loss per book. 

Yep.  Many are the times I lamented not winning 3 or 4 books instead of 1 trying to defray shipping costs.  My early days of Heritage buying were definitely bumpy. I still have an early purchase from Heritage (also an early purchase of a CGC book)- a copy of Doomsday +1 9, from the Don Rosa Collection in a green label (due to a missing staple) and I had no idea what a green label meant.  I think it cost me like $54 with shipping and BP which really rained on my day after I was all excited about winning it for like $13 or something.

The way to avoid this egrgious cost of shipping problem is to simply ask them to hold your books until you request themto be sent to you.  :gossip:

I am actually surprised that Heritage does not charge the winners a storage fee to hold onto their winning lots for such a long time.  :whatthe:   :)

On 9/1/2022 at 1:45 AM, Stevemmg said:

Comic Link doesn’t report to GPA, and they’ve sold several 9.6’s the last three years above what GPA shows, but not near this price. So, the data will still be very low compared to sales. Lion’s Den set the precedent with his $25k sale, so this shows he was once again at the leading edge. 

Why is this? Anyone know?