• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Record Magazine Prices - Throw out your Overstreet Guide!
11 11

1,155 posts in this topic

Right now I am pacing about waiting for a grade on a SS that was signed over the weekend. Creepy #11 signed by Frazetta, the book was in great condition, so I am hoping for the best. It cost me an arm and a leg (closer to a testical) but worth it to me. :wishluck:

Are you a CGC Signature Series witness? Otherwise, how did you get a magazine signed by Frank Frazetta?? (shrug)

No, but I happen to know a few people including Frank Jr. so I knew about the signing, and got myself on the waiting list just incase someone dropped out of the signing, which did eventually happen (the monday before the signing I got a call), and as luck would have it, I had a dozen books down there to be graded, so I picked one from the group to have signed. Unlike some people that got books signed, I am an actual fan of Frazetta, with no desire to sell my book.

And it looks like this. (1 of 3 highest graded to date)

creepy11SSsm.jpg

Right now I am pacing about waiting for a grade on a SS that was signed over the weekend. Creepy #11 signed by Frazetta, the book was in great condition, so I am hoping for the best. It cost me an arm and a leg (closer to a testical) but worth it to me. :wishluck:

Are you a CGC Signature Series witness? Otherwise, how did you get a magazine signed by Frank Frazetta?? (shrug)

No, but I happen to know a few people including Frank Jr. so I knew about the signing, and got myself on the waiting list just incase someone dropped out of the signing, which did eventually happen (the monday before the signing I got a call), and as luck would have it, I had a dozen books down there to be graded, so I picked one from the group to have signed. Unlike some people that got books signed, I am an actual fan of Frazetta, with no desire to sell my book.

creepy11SSsm.jpg

Wow. You hit that one out of the ballpark. That's tied for my favorite Frazetta cover with WSF 29. So sweet!

creepy11SSsm.jpg

Killer book!! (worship)

Thanks. Hope they end up bringing ok money.

It's true that prices have been going up almost across the board, though certain genres are cooling. Bronze horror and SA DCs both seem to be on the downturn, but silver age Marvels and classic cover and superhero golden age are red hot.

I am always surprised that mags don't generate more interest. It really doesn't get much better than early Creepy and Eerie issues, but even the rare numbers I have found cheap. Not long ago I found a raw Creepy 32 in 8.5 or so for $25, and a raw Eerie 23 in 9.0 for $35 or so. This stuff tends to fly under the radar more than most genres.

the Marvels are hot due to the movies and videogames. brings new blood into the market. Warrens out of business and they are obscure from the mainstream.

Sounds cool to bring these back! :applause:

CREEPY is best remembered for its classic horror and was hosted by Uncle Creepy, while EERIE often ventured into science fiction and featured Cousin Eerie as its host. The rest of the gang includes Hunter, Child, El Cid, Marvin the Dead Thing, and the newly developed Creepy Family...

While I do remember Hunter, the rest I must have forgotton. Not sure about a "Creepy family" direction though, seems kinda silly.

This is true.

Pity all the amazing artwork that appeared in Warren pubs has meant so little to the longevity and the popularity (and as a result, value) of the brand. You would think with amazing covers by Frazetta (that are still being reprinted today), Kelly, Sanjulian, Morrow, and artists like Berni Wrightson doing truly ground-breaking artwork in stories like Poe's "The Black Cat" (Creepy #62, Wrightson's first full-length story for Warren) and "Jenifer" (Creepy #63) that these books would still be treasured today. It'd be nice to see some of the original Warren artist's working again. I wonder if they're going to be involved in the relaunch. :wishluck:

As an aside - a single page by Wrightson for "The Black Cat" is in a Clink auction with a starting bid of $17,000 (which I happen to think is a steal).

Let's hope that interest renews with the relaunch of these titles! :wishluck:

It would be fantastic to get Frazetta to do a new cover for one of them. It would certainly bring spotlight attention to the series IMO. Did you know that Jenifer was made into a movie? There was a thread about it a while back. I also saw the Wrightson Black Cat OA FS and think it is some of his best! (thumbs u

59978-Jenifer.jpg.9025574d4f0037ba058c08ced810f723.jpg

Did you know that Jenifer was made into a movie? There was a thread about it a while back.

Hey Jay, you do know that "Jenifer" was an approx. 1hr. episode of Masters of Horror, and not technically a theater release, right? (shrug)

I've got it on DVD around here somewhere, it was pretty fun. (thumbs u

Yeah I know it wasn't theater release but since you can rent it, I consider it a movie. There was another episode of MoH that had a Mermaid that lead the fishermen who caught her back to her "lair" to be eaten after turning into a giant sea monster. That one I liked! (thumbs u

The average fan of Warren fare is 30-40 yrs. old? (shrug)

Yeah, I saw where someone said that the Warren's will have no value once all the fan's die out, I really don't think that is quite true. The value is low because of the sale Warren had when they went out of business and sold tons of back issues on the open market, thus lowering the value for quite a while, but those issues have pretty much been absorbed now. It is getting tougher all the time to find high grade issues, you get lucky now and then, but less often as time goes by.

The Creepy Archives will help spread the word so to speak, and can't hurt. I really think it is just a matter of time before Overstreet and some others realize just how tough it is to find some of these books in high grade. As far as the age of the fan's go, I don't quite believe that, look at golden age collectors, many of them were not around when those books were printed, same will be true of the Silver age eventually. If it were just the people that read the books when they first came out keeping the comic collecting alive, then Action Comics #1 and some of the other golden age would be pretty darn cheap right now.

I believe the 30-40 age is correct for most Warren fans at this stage, as you said with your GA example that new fans will always be brought in through exposure.

As to whoever said the Warren's will have no value once all the fan's die out, that's just crazy as there is too much quality art and stories there not to appreciate.