• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,226 posts in this topic

are these your copies? they are wonderful!

I have to agree with that - beautiful books.

The Ditko cover is part of my collection and I have the Cole cover plus the Fox but all of them have been cleaned up by photoshop. The Everett cover was found on the boards and probably the Bailey cover too. I was just trying to keep the thread going with some of my favorites but now I have to search for artists with names that begin with G, H and I.

bb

Hi guys - so I know this is really a Science Fiction title, but this last cover really seemed to be taking a turn to Horrorville.

captainscience7.jpg

Who is the artists? Sometimes I have to see the name in big letters.

bb

The Ditko cover is part of my collection and I have the Cole cover plus the Fox but all of them have been cleaned up by photoshop. The Everett cover was found on the boards and probably the Bailey cover too. I was just trying to keep the thread going with some of my favorites but now I have to search for artists with names that begin with G, H and I.

bb

Grandenetti

1839084-Monster%231CGC6.0.jpg

Hey Keith, it might be interesting to take another poll as in the first post of this thread to see how opinions may have changed after 3 years of being exposed to different horror titles and publishers. As can be seen with the results of the first poll, EC won by a landslide with Atlas and Ajax-Farrell making up 2nd and 3rd.

Oddly enough, ECs only popped up occasionally in this thread...

57765-Poll1.jpg.428ca9b641eee0fc2df91e8f41949695.jpg

bb

Grandenetti

1839084-Monster%231CGC6.0.jpg

That's a Whitman cover. Grandenetti just did some of the interior work.

Hollingsworth...

1260652-CityoftheLivingDeadFront.jpg

STUNNING Copy! I have never owned this one, but always wanted it. How are the insides?

You saw these before in another thread but I'll post 'em again for anyone who missed 'em. :grin:

The interior stories are very good but none are over the top with gore or violent scenes. The book is a “one shot” published by Avon that includes 5 stories with one being text. The first up is the cover story “City of the Living Dead!”

1260652-City1stStory.jpg

Second is “The Glistening Death” which seems familiar (maybe it’s been reprinted?)

1260652-City2ndStory.jpg

Third story “The Witches Come at Midnight!” has great art in this splash!

1260652-City3rdStory.jpg

The fourth story is “Death Has Many Tongues”

1260652-City4thStory.jpg

This story was neat as the Captain was a slave trader that was captured by the natives and cursed to have his murdered (slave) victims “sprout” from his arms. Here he is trying to cut them off. The poor fool; doesn’t he realize he’s in a horror story?

1260652-City4thStoryPanel.jpg

Hollingsworth...

1260652-CityoftheLivingDeadFront.jpg

STUNNING Copy! I have never owned this one, but always wanted it. How are the insides?

You saw these before in another thread but I'll post 'em again for anyone who missed 'em. :grin:

The interior stories are very good but none are over the top with gore or violent scenes. The book is a “one shot” published by Avon that includes 5 stories with one being text. The first up is the cover story “City of the Living Dead!”

1260652-City1stStory.jpg

Second is “The Glistening Death” which seems familiar (maybe it’s been reprinted?)

1260652-City2ndStory.jpg

Third story “The Witches Come at Midnight!” has great art in this splash!

1260652-City3rdStory.jpg

The fourth story is “Death Has Many Tongues”

1260652-City4thStory.jpg

This story was neat as the Captain was a slave trader that was captured by the natives and cursed to have his murdered (slave) victims “sprout” from his arms. Here he is trying to cut them off. The poor fool; doesn’t he realize he’s in a horror story?

1260652-City4thStoryPanel.jpg

I do remember that now! Worth it for that single panel you posted :roflmao: