• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Undead Thread: Pre-Code Horror
21 21

Favorite Pre-Code Publisher  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Pre-Code Publisher

10,235 posts in this topic

Thanks for the Ekgren info, he sure looks the suave artist type!

At close to 90 (born July 6, 1918), I doubt he's much suave any more. Ken Q. emailed me tonight to confirm that Ekgren is still alive and lives in Sweden. (thumbs u

Believe it or not the cover to that Voodoo issue is a cover swipe with South Seas Girl added in. I found the original cover while going through the GCD one day and thought I saved the cover image but lost it and can't remember the title of the book now! :frustrated:

The original cover had a man where SS Girl is punching the zombie to the right, that is why he is tilted back the way he is. Same large main zombie but the cover was in an overall yellow. Wish I could find it again...

Issue 46, sorry I don't have a good scan but the swipe is obvious.

bb

2478711489_d3b21003c0_o.jpg

Thank you BB-Gun! That was driving me crazy trying to remember that cover!

You da man! (worship)

Believe it or not the cover to that Voodoo issue is a cover swipe with South Seas Girl added in. I found the original cover while going through the GCD one day and thought I saved the cover image but lost it and can't remember the title of the book now! :frustrated:

The original cover had a man where SS Girl is punching the zombie to the right, that is why he is tilted back the way he is. Same large main zombie but the cover was in an overall yellow. Wish I could find it again...

Issue 46, sorry I don't have a good scan but the swipe is obvious.

bb

2478711489_d3b21003c0_o.jpg

Thank you BB-Gun! That was driving me crazy trying to remember that cover!

You da man! (worship)

After checking the golden age box with comics from P-R, I found a copy of Prize 46. The GCD copy above must be from the Gerber guide. Below is a little better scan.

bb

2486966166_36d4a7c853_b.jpg

Graham Ingels

Unfortunatley this is not my book, (but it's on my want list!)

hof12.jpg

And I never found a golden age pre-code horror comic drawn by an artist with a last name starting with J. But I did find a lot of Jeff Jones covers from the silver age/bronze age. So we can continue to K if you want. I think we all know who the "King" is (and I don't mean Frank).

bb

2486201343_febb39d5ff_o.jpg

2487215927_3b3425d5db_b.jpg

Kirby didn't do a lot of horror but he could draw pretty good monsters from, different worlds, dimensions and realities.

bb

I love this cover. That demon looks like a lil' baby FIN FANG FOOM. Great stuff.

I would suspect that this cover was inspired by the fantastic horror film: CURSE OF THE DEMON -- but on second thought, I think the film actually came out later... I will have to check.

Bill

Edited by AtlasFan

2487215927_3b3425d5db_b.jpg

Kirby didn't do a lot of horror but he could draw pretty good monsters from, different worlds, dimensions and realities.

bb

That's my 2nd fav cover of the run, this is my 1st! :cloud9:

46929-blackmagic28.jpg

We stopped at K for Kirby. What next? I don't know whether there is a better artist but Larry Lieber certainly did a lot of work for Marvel (and brother Stan). He used to do horror before he switched to westerns. This one is listed as his cover in the GCD although it isn't golden age but the story inside is from Mystery Tales 21.

2490071779_5d6f574db6_o.jpg

And then we have M. Well two artist come to mind. One is Maneely and the other is Moldoff. I can't decide which Maneely cover to show so I attached two.

2490927770_bfbd74f4fb_b.jpg

2490110291_c5c30842ef_b.jpg

2490158987_b8e9344d73_b.jpg

Wow! That guy calmly landed the spaceship...while on fire! doh!

And those meteors can rip/melt through the hull of the spaceship but not through a human body? hm

HEY!! I had to take a couple weeks away from the boards because we just had our second child! :banana:

I see you slackers let the Undead fall to page 3. :baiting:

Post more horror...

Congrats Papa! :applause:

OK here's one for the newbie to grow on! :grin:

Mystic30.jpg

Not until we see a pic of the newborn :sumo:

Congratulations :applause:

Congratulations!!!! :headbang:

I hope mama and baby are doing well!