• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 November 17 - 18 Comics Signature Auction - Beverely Hills

462 posts in this topic

congrats, I like the price on that layton.

I was the underbidder when it was on eBay in 2013. Was only interested in bidding a few hundred higher now. At least two people wanted it a lot more than me. Congrats to the winner ;)

JOHN ROMITA JR: IRON MAN ISSUE 152 PAGE 31 SPLASH !!!!!

Item number: 261183331526

Sale price: $1,427.01

End time: Mar-17-13 17:05:35 PDT

Your maximum bid: $1,402.01

I dunno. I didn't see that effect on the GA comics did you? The ones I watched (OK, not that many) did very well.

I don't follow books closely. My friend told me that the big books did well. Not sure about the run of the mill. In any case, I think the consensus is that the art has been generally weak, though the truly special stuff (like the top-tier undergrounds and a few genuinely special other pieces) did well. I totally agree with you about that Kirby Thor cover. That was a downright shocking price given how strong the OA market has been of late. But, again, I'm not sure that we should be surprised given that high-end discretionary spending in general has been on the downswing. If GA books are bucking that trend, they're the exception now, not the rule. Foreign bidders are also taking a beating given that both their economies and currencies have been weaker than in the U.S.

The 2016 election I think really has hurt this economy. That was one bitter slugfest.

Ah. Let's not go there. I've actually been enjoying how this board stayed completely apolitical while everything else was seemingly going nuts (regardless of which side you fall).

Back to art...whoever got that Lynch Bijou #5 cover...you got a deal imo...I was holding out for something later that I didn't win, but I nearly pushed it up to at least 2500, but at the last moment I moved the mouse back off the bid button and let it close. Grrr! But part of why that still makes sense is that I know there is a lot more to come in future sales and a 'deal' of the sort I really like will materialize at some point somewhere in there :) :) :)

This was by far the best of underground offered since I don't know when, kind of a once in blue moon chance to get top tier stuff, so it seems reasonable that collectors who collect many areas of comic art would put their money there.....there are a lot more opportunities to get a great mainstream page than with UG OA

The 2016 election I think really has hurt this economy. That was one bitter slugfest.

Ah. Let's not go there. I've actually been enjoying how this board stayed completely apolitical while everything else was seemingly going nuts (regardless of which side you fall).

My comment was apolitical vodou !

Please dont inject or read into it anything other than an empirical fact related to the consequences of a political event and its effect on the confidence in the markets. Which I believe is very real. Regardless of the outcome !

Back to art...whoever got that Lynch Bijou #5 cover...you got a deal imo...I was holding out for something later that I didn't win, but I nearly pushed it up to at least 2500, but at the last moment I moved the mouse back off the bid button and let it close. Grrr! But part of why that still makes sense is that I know there is a lot more to come in future sales and a 'deal' of the sort I really like will materialize at some point somewhere in there :) :) :)

Yes a great deal!

Blame the election (and now post-election fallout), weak global economy, Brexit, strong dollar or what have you, but, spending is definitely down vs. 6-12 months ago...guess it may finally be affecting our hobby a little bit.

Yes...Brexit too !

(like the top-tier undergrounds

I think the UGs were strong period. top tier or not. Mr Sack must be very pleased.

This wasn't a case of there having been strength only in special UG pieces, there were pieces that as a casual fan of the genre where I didn't know the artist and barely knew the title that were getting 10k and so on. IMO the market just loved that there was a fresh to market killer collection to gorge on, and gorge it did.

Went after a number of pieces but was the under bidder on a number of them. Only thing I ended up with is the Gilbert Shelton Tribal Stomp 10th Reunion Concert Poster featuring Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers. Which was the piece that was highest on my want list. The high end pieces might have been soft but a bunch of the mid-range art went for more that I expected. Oh well more funds for Clink.

congrats, I like the price on that layton.

I was the underbidder when it was on eBay in 2013. Was only interested in bidding a few hundred higher now. At least two people wanted it a lot more than me. Congrats to the winner ;)

JOHN ROMITA JR: IRON MAN ISSUE 152 PAGE 31 SPLASH !!!!!

Item number: 261183331526

Sale price: $1,427.01

End time: Mar-17-13 17:05:35 PDT

Your maximum bid: $1,402.01

I missed the end otherwise it would have gone higher. Romita/Layton Iron Man has been on fire for at least a couple years now. I was surprised this one didn't end in the $3500 range.

(like the top-tier undergrounds

I think the UGs were strong period. top tier or not. Mr Sack must be very pleased.

This wasn't a case of there having been strength only in special UG pieces, there were pieces that as a casual fan of the genre where I didn't know the artist and barely knew the title that were getting 10k and so on. IMO the market just loved that there was a fresh to market killer collection to gorge on, and gorge it did.

What I meant was that it was a highly curated, top-tier collection of UG art. The guy didn't collect any filler pieces and the prices reflected that.

In any case, the softness in mainstream art will probably give future consignors something to think about. Will be interesting to see how the next cycle pans out.