• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 November 17 - 18 Comics Signature Auction - Beverely Hills

462 posts in this topic

I can't imagine the consignor being happy with 55k for that painting, but what do I know.

65k w/ BP, for the record.

Yeah I'm sure the consignor had much higher hopes, but lets be honest its not an attractive piece relative to others. Of course, sometimes 'not attractive' has done well anyways.

I'm personally more likely to miss an auction or miss bidding on something I like when I am busy, mobile or not. I think other people would be in the same boat and the end of the workweek when trying to get back to families and get kids to sports or sleep doesn't strike me as great either 2c. That said people will still bid

Can someone educate me as to why one of the Burne Hogarth Tarzan pages went for $26K while the other two went for $7K and $9K? I'm obviously missing something as they all look similar to me.

Mike

I'll defer to others on this one but my guess is that the 26k went high because its so very unusual for the strip. The other one is more typical.

Can someone educate me as to why one of the Burne Hogarth Tarzan pages went for $26K while the other two went for $7K and $9K? I'm obviously missing something as they all look similar to me.

Mike

I'd guess the condition and the panel size with the larger bottom panel and fewer overall means the art is easier to see. The subject matter, I know nothing about this. The 26k piece is odd that's for sure.

Mike

I'll defer to others on this one but my guess is that the 26k went high because its so very unusual for the strip. The others are more typical.

Personally, I thought the more expensive page was the least interesting as the big heads with arms seem a bit dumb. It was different though, but different enough to command 3x the price? Not for me anyway.

Prices seem soft today except for Underground art

Wow, I am surprised the kirby thor cover only did 60k and change... I thought that would cruise past 100

and yet the astonish 78 splash did almost as well... that makes no sense to me. I think the buyer of the cover got a deal and the buyer of the splash paid full boat 2c

Mike

I think his 2nd run on Tarzan done more in his style than Hal Foster who he took over for. The 3rd strip had more of his signature dynamic poses of Tarzan and it was a unique story.

Wow, I am surprised the kirby thor cover only did 60k and change... I thought that would cruise past 100

I think all the buyers fell asleep waiting for this thing to progress.

and yet the astonish 78 splash did almost as well... that makes no sense to me. I think the buyer of the cover got a deal and the buyer of the splash paid full boat 2c

I agree, thought the Avengers and the Daredevil covers were soft as well.

Nice prices on the Little Annie Fanny strips. I understand they go for so much since few appear on the market by Harvey Kurtzman and Will Elder. Anyone know where most of the original are since they worked on the strip for years.

Nice prices on the Little Annie Fanny strips. I understand they go for so much since few appear on the market by Harvey Kurtzman and Will Elder. Anyone know where most of the original are since they worked on the strip for years.

I love those strips. Can't bring myself to pay for one, but they look great.

Really looking forward to seeing what that Punch cover does. I'm guessing 8-12 but its a wild card IMO

+1. Morning underground session sucked up all the excitement and $$$.

Also agree that the Buscema CONAN covers were not the strongest examples. And that they still underperformed.

I'm at the auction...lively crowd but not that much action outside of the one big Ditko ASM splash.