• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 November 17 - 18 Comics Signature Auction - Beverely Hills

462 posts in this topic

Dang, BWS Conan 8 cover went cheap, IMO. Mind you, that's among my least favorite covers from the BWS run (think the other two that Heritage auctioned off were far better), but, still, that's like a 3-4 years ago price.

I can't say that I'm terribly surprised that this auction has been on the weak side (outside of the underground art and a few select pieces in the regular session). I follow consumer discretionary spending trends closely since I invest actively in the sector, and the reality is that high-end discretionary spending has been falling off a cliff in recent months. You may have read that fine art spending has been in a tailspin since 2014. Blame the election (and now post-election fallout), weak global economy, Brexit, strong dollar or what have you, but, spending is definitely down vs. 6-12 months ago...guess it may finally be affecting our hobby a little bit.

I'm inclined to agree with this- The UG art is an outlier- it's a rare offering, and draws a different pool of bidders- some that collect mainstream art, and some that do not. I fall in the later, as do many of my friends. when I got the catalog in the mail & saw the UG collections was a separate book, I was happy, because that was that many fewer pages I would have to skip past. (thumbs u

I have been surprised at the results of other art auctions recently, HA and otherwise- I think prices are softening for sub-$1000 art, no matter how much some dealers try to artificially prop it up. :gossip:

Yup quite a few instances over the past couple years where the Heck/Wood Avengers combo produced a surprising result.

So would you say that interest and prices for Wood have become increasinging firm?

I think prices are softening for sub-$1000 art, no matter how much some dealers try to artificially prop it up. :gossip:

That's a pretty sweeping statement; any specifics?

Off the top of my head I can think of a bunch of early-'90s Marvel runs (X-titles, SS, ASM, etc) along with WD and Preacher of course, that are noticeably strengthening.

Yup quite a few instances over the past couple years where the Heck/Wood Avengers combo produced a surprising result.

So would you say that interest and prices for Wood have become increasinging firm?

:eyeroll:

Not everyone believes in the staying power of Wood. I understand.

So, I thought the Crepax went quite low for a top of the line example, and the Smith Conan's seemed a bit soft --I spent more on Ebay recently for a comparable page. Kirby seems overall consistent but not really rising with the tide, similar to Caniff, another top tier creator with a lot of examples available.

The Heck TOS 42 page seemed pretty cheap to me. Original armor Iron Man? Shoot, I'll take that over Starlin or Layton any day.

I myself, after taking beatings all day long, picked up the very last lot in the session, S. Clay Wilson's Gluttony Yarns, & very pleased about it.

I could have done better on eBay with the TOS page.

That S Clay Wilson is a Great pick up Aaron!

Dang, BWS Conan 8 cover went cheap, IMO. Mind you, that's among my least favorite covers from the BWS run (think the other two that Heritage auctioned off were far better), but, still, that's like a 3-4 years ago price.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the result: "very nice and memorable cover-- this is difficult to decipher, it's mostly stat, with pencil underneath, the stat is heavily inked, with some original art in the margins."

Any experts out there that can explain all the differences in this cover, given the description on the CAF page.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=898210

Are these the same piece, or is one unused? The CAF version appears to have a different hairstyle on the woman.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the result: "very nice and memorable cover-- this is difficult to decipher, it's mostly stat, with pencil underneath, the stat is heavily inked, with some original art in the margins."

Any experts out there that can explain all the differences in this cover, given the description on the CAF page.

Are these the same piece, or is one unused? The CAF version appears to have a different hairstyle on the woman.

The description in the heritage lot explains. The Heritage lot is the original Barry Smith work.

The sword on the first creature cut through Conan in the corner box, so they made a stat for publication, moved the entire image to the right, filled in the edges with extended art on the stat and the face on the girl was changed to look less manic. lol

So the heritage piece is the original BWS artwork and the stat on CAF was the one made for publication so the creatures would not cut the corner image in half.

Is this just really an art financial thread?

Did anyone win anything and want to share the art they enjoy?

(shrug)

Halperin cant have won everything?!?!

Here...I'll go again

this was a must have on my list...v happy to have it

Red%20Sonja%20Sanjulian_zps46njesu1.jpg

I assume it will come framed

Sonaj%20framed_zpsoyulu2qe.jpg

The description in the heritage lot explains. The Heritage lot is the original Barry Smith work.

The sword on the first creature cut through Conan in the corner box, so they made a stat for publication, moved the entire image to the right, filled in the edges with extended art on the stat and the face on the girl was changed to look less manic. lol

So the heritage piece is the original BWS artwork and the stat on CAF was the one made for publication so the creatures would not cut the corner image in half.

Thanks for that!

(shrug)

Here...I'll go again

Love it. I'm 0-fer on art, 1/1 on comics.

(shrug)

Here...I'll go again

yes it is, but.... (worship)

I think prices are softening for sub-$1000 art, no matter how much some dealers try to artificially prop it up. :gossip:

That's a pretty sweeping statement; any specifics?

Off the top of my head I can think of a bunch of early-'90s Marvel runs (X-titles, SS, ASM, etc) along with WD and Preacher of course, that are noticeably strengthening.

you read this board much? Watch what dealers post that were up for auction or ebay previously? hm

(checks CAF) oh! you collect modern art. That stuff doesn't even register with me, so I'll take your word for it. You're Wonder Bread years, not mine. :baiting:

But I'm still in agreement with Gene. When the market crashes, it will not happen all at once, and it will happen in different areas of the market in different ways. It will not be a straight linear descent. Market manipulation from a select few dealers and high rollers will mask or blunt the descent, but eventually they will tap out too. The middle art collecting class will suffer and the rest of you will have a bunch of sketch covers. meh