• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 November 17 - 18 Comics Signature Auction - Beverely Hills

462 posts in this topic

(like the top-tier undergrounds

I think the UGs were strong period. top tier or not. Mr Sack must be very pleased.

This wasn't a case of there having been strength only in special UG pieces, there were pieces that as a casual fan of the genre where I didn't know the artist and barely knew the title that were getting 10k and so on. IMO the market just loved that there was a fresh to market killer collection to gorge on, and gorge it did.

In any case, the softness in mainstream art will probably give future consignors something to think about. Will be interesting to see how the next cycle pans out.

Definitely

(like the top-tier undergrounds

I think the UGs were strong period. top tier or not. Mr Sack must be very pleased.

This wasn't a case of there having been strength only in special UG pieces, there were pieces that as a casual fan of the genre where I didn't know the artist and barely knew the title that were getting 10k and so on. IMO the market just loved that there was a fresh to market killer collection to gorge on, and gorge it did.

In any case, the softness in mainstream art will probably give future consignors something to think about. Will be interesting to see how the next cycle pans out.

Definitely

+ 1 for sure

Very interesting time right now. It feels like we are in a recession maybe.

Even the chatter and enthusiasm on the board was noticeably subdued this auction.

The high end pieces might have been soft but a bunch of the mid-range art went for more than I expected.

Agreed. Perez, Starlin, Ditko, mid-tier Kirby did well. Miller held firm, but Byrne X-Men continues to soften.

I agree with my most of that, but wasn't there only one Byrne xmen page? I don't think a page with those characters is exactly bellwether material.

The Peanuts strip was one of the better buys in the auction. Good gag, and prime era of the strip. It's tough to find any nice Peanuts strips under $15K, let alone something from the late 50's-mid-60's, so very well bought.

Personally nothing in this auction really WOW-ed me. Not price-wise, but art-wise. I don't know if that reflects more on the pieces in the auction, or on my having collected for so long that I'm becoming less easy to impress.

Mark T

The high end pieces might have been soft but a bunch of the mid-range art went for more than I expected.

Agreed. Perez, Starlin, Ditko, mid-tier Kirby did well. Miller held firm, but Byrne X-Men continues to soften.

I agree with my most of that, but wasn't there only one Byrne xmen page? I don't think a page with those characters is exactly bellwether material.

I feel it continues a trend of Byrne XM softening this year. Take the XM141 page in the last CLink auction - it fetched 31k but would have easily cleared 40k a year ago.

I feel it continues a trend of Byrne XM softening this year. Take the XM141 page in the last CLink auction - it fetched 31k but would have easily cleared 40k a year ago.

I think I remember that one selling at least three times publicly. That can be a key factor in analyzing results.

Definitely

+ 1 for sure

Very interesting time right now. It feels like we are in a recession maybe.

Even the chatter and enthusiasm on the board was noticeably subdued this auction.

As noted above, mid-priced mainstream pieces generally held firm and some even displayed significant growth.

Perhaps due to economic sentiment buyers are shying away from splashy high 5-6 digit purchases, and are focusing instead on mid-priced pieces with strong growth potential.

I think I remember that one selling at least three times publicly. That can be a key factor in analyzing results.

True, but I don't recall seeing it for sale within the last 5 years.

The one piece I was really interested in was the Tales to Astonish 78 splash. Going into the live bidding I was hopeful but that was quickly crushed.

The Spiderman 29 panel page was nice but I knew it would go pretty high, $62k.

Really surprised the Conan cover only went for $60k. I know some have said they don't like it but it is one of my favorites.

The Weiner Sprang Batman and Robin illustration went about 2x higher than I expected given it is a black and white.

Calvin and Hobbs at $77k seemed reasonable.

The Nova panel page at $1500 seemed pretty strong, nice page though

Daredevil 31 cover at $50k seemed pretty strong given the kind of wanky pose and the whiteout

The Casey at Bat story was real strong I thought at $77k

Krazy Kat strips seemed low but I don't follow them super closely

FF 43 panel seemed really strong at $26k. I figured I would be the only one that liked it but guess someone else did too.

Worlds Finest 85 cover seemed strong given it is a so-so image but guess the age and size kind of rules. $31k

So, I thought the Crepax went quite low for a top of the line example, and the Smith Conan's seemed a bit soft --I spent more on Ebay recently for a comparable page. Kirby seems overall consistent but not really rising with the tide, similar to Caniff, another top tier creator with a lot of examples available.

The Heck TOS 42 page seemed pretty cheap to me. Original armor Iron Man? Shoot, I'll take that over Starlin or Layton any day.

I myself, after taking beatings all day long, picked up the very last lot in the session, S. Clay Wilson's Gluttony Yarns, & very pleased about it.

I didn't mean at auction. I know I saw this page on a site or on CAF for sale more than once in the last few years. That image stuck in my ahead along with the thought "Huh, that's a pretty nice page, why can't it find a forever home?" lol

also constantly surprised by Heck Avengers prices. $8.4k for a 9-panel AV22 page is approaching Kirby-money!

Wood was likely the key factor there, not Heck.

Yes, the heck wood avengers pages do way more than heck with others inking

I didn't mean at auction. I know I saw this page on a site or on CAF for sale more than once in the last few years. That image stuck in my ahead along with the thought "Huh, that's a pretty nice page, why can't it find a forever home?" lol

The Byrne X-Men 141 page auctioned in Heritage in 2007, and then at auction in 2012 in CLink. Has been posted in a couple different galleries to CAF between those times and the current auction, and of course makes all the "Most views/Most comments" lists when it surfaces.

I think the reason it gets sold is that it's extremely liquid. No difficulty whatsoever finding someone who wants it. Maybe not top dollar, but you can move something like that pretty quickly and come out OK.

The one that just ended is Cool for certain, but it's mostly a Banshee page. Not in the caliber, price wise, as Wolverine, Colossus, etc...

The auction was much better attended live than the last few I remember in Beverly Hills - literally SRO.I feel like most items fell in the expected range - not too many surprises. The FF 43 page was the most surprising to me - 2 folk must have wanted it - a couple very nice panels for sure - is someone trying to complete that book?

I agree the BWS Conan went on the low side but the air is thin at $50K + and if a work doesn't grab at least 2 BSDs then this is the result. Thought the IM47 splash was well bought as well - the auctioneer closed that lot very quickly though. The really sharp stuff did great - the average did average.

I thought C&H was strong for a daily but loved the subject matter - $20K a panel!

Let's see what happens Saturday

Mark