• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 November 17 - 18 Comics Signature Auction - Beverely Hills

462 posts in this topic

Nice prices on the Little Annie Fanny strips. I understand they go for so much since few appear on the market by Harvey Kurtzman and Will Elder. Anyone know where most of the original are since they worked on the strip for years.

I love those strips. Can't bring myself to pay for one, but they look great.

Really looking forward to seeing what that Punch cover does. I'm guessing 8-12 but its a wild card IMO

6k only. Well bought!

Can someone educate me as to why one of the Burne Hogarth Tarzan pages went for $26K while the other two went for $7K and $9K? I'm obviously missing something as they all look similar to me.

Mike

I'll defer to others on this one but my guess is that the 26k went high because its so very unusual for the strip. The other one is more typical.

Unusual? Was there any bifurcation involved?

Can someone educate me as to why one of the Burne Hogarth Tarzan pages went for $26K while the other two went for $7K and $9K? I'm obviously missing something as they all look similar to me.

Mike

I'll defer to others on this one but my guess is that the 26k went high because its so very unusual for the strip. The other one is more typical.

Unusual? Was there any bifurcation involved?

Just a lot of angry humpty dumpty's...

not stock adventure fare

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/comic-strip-art/burne-hogarth-tarzan-966-sunday-comic-strip-original-art-dated-9-11-49-united-feature-syndicate-1949-/a/7141-93116.s

conan practically crickets.. 60k

VERY soft auction

Maybe the strong dollar is hurting OA ?

Dunno, but these results are a splash of cold water

I think its like people said earlier, the UG stuff sucked up all the money.

Dang, BWS Conan 8 cover went cheap, IMO. Mind you, that's among my least favorite covers from the BWS run (think the other two that Heritage auctioned off were far better), but, still, that's like a 3-4 years ago price.

I can't say that I'm terribly surprised that this auction has been on the weak side (outside of the underground art and a few select pieces in the regular session). I follow consumer discretionary spending trends closely since I invest actively in the sector, and the reality is that high-end discretionary spending has been falling off a cliff in recent months. You may have read that fine art spending has been in a tailspin since 2014. Blame the election (and now post-election fallout), weak global economy, Brexit, strong dollar or what have you, but, spending is definitely down vs. 6-12 months ago...guess it may finally be affecting our hobby a little bit.

Dang, BWS Conan 8 cover went cheap, IMO. Mind you, that's among my least favorite covers from the BWS run (think the other two that Heritage auctioned off were far better), but, still, that's like a 3-4 years ago price.

I can't say that I'm terribly surprised that this auction has been on the weak side (outside of the underground art and a few select pieces in the regular session). I follow consumer discretionary spending trends closely since I invest actively in the sector, and the reality is that high-end discretionary spending has been falling off a cliff in recent months. You may have read that fine art spending has been in a tailspin since 2014. Blame the election (and now post-election fallout), weak global economy, Brexit, strong dollar or what have you, but, spending is definitely down vs. 6-12 months ago...guess it may finally be affecting our hobby a little bit.

I hope Yellen is starting to think about QE 4 soon or this economy is going down :popcorn:

I dunno. I didn't see that effect on the GA comics did you? The ones I watched (OK, not that many) did very well.

I have trouble attributing it to macro trends when those trends didn't seem to disturb the UG art nor the printed comics. I'm guessing people just ran out of dough.